HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 31, 2017, 7:09 PM

An incredibly generous donation from the country's 4th richest man! This will really benefit the foundation side of research and state of the art equipment.

I just wish that when these mega donations are made, it is not always with the clause to re-name a facility. I have no problem the research arm of Children's Hospital maybe being called the Jim Pattison CH Rsearch Foundation....but for some reason rebranding a facility just doesn't sit with me....but then again, I have not contributed 50M to this project!

A great news story for the CH for sure.

Old Posted May 31, 2017, 7:28 PM

What a generous contribution. I don't think you could find a cause more worthy than helping sick children... love it.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 7:21 PM

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 6:28 PM

As the finishing on the exterior progresses I have to say/repeat how disappointed I am that they could not have gone for a more colourful scheme for cladding....it is after all, a "children's hospital'....try to make a less sterile and intimidating building by maybe incorporating a mixture of crayola coloured blocking pattern on roof/top area.

Oh well....missed opportunity.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 8:59 PM

^^You seem to contradict the ecstatic first speaker in the above mini-doc almost perfectly. Take in the surroundings, the riverbank and the history of the very-well watched preservation of the UofS campus. It's not the outskirts of Calgary. No need for overt exterior cotton candy here, it'll be on the inside anyway. You'll see. Maybe not. I have no idea. I should delete. Oops.

...BTW, can you provide a pic, hopefully from a distance? I'm not heckling you, Mate, I just haven't seen this building in many moons and there's been no update but for the video, for some reason. Someone said it's way better than what it hides, if that's any consolation. The sixties were brutal, even to the Uni. Take care.

Last take on this, forever is, if kids and families had a hand in designing and planning this building, and they didn't go for the colourful exterior scheme you'd like to see, maybe it's because they know the story of Hansel and Gretel, see! They don't want kids climbing up the sides of the building in their Spiderman costumes licking the spandrel. I hope that's still a joke nowadays.

Last edited by Ricopedra; Aug 28, 2017 at 10:07 PM.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 9:37 PM

I guess for me it comes down to who this is being built for....the architectural integrity of the campus, or for the children that are battling illness and disease and their families. Perhaps a bit of light, hope and colour trumps (sorry, no intended reference to you know who) the need for architectural consistency of institutional buildings....but that is certainly just my opinion and I respect the opinion of others.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 10:22 PM

Awe man, don't nitpick and make it complicated, just watch the video! There's an inner courtyard to let in light to more rooms and the designs allow family to stay overnight with the kids, where in the past fat ugly nurses with flashlights under their chins would scream at you that it was 9pm and time to get out! Anyway, whatever. The kids and the rest of the province have spoken, supposedly. No worries, bud. This new building will be a better place for the kids regardless of its exterior.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 4:23 AM

I don't think my ground level cellphone pics really capture how imposing this building has become on the riverbank. Lots of spandrel, small randomly placed windows, and what looks like corrugated metal.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 5:48 AM

While the Children's Hospital is undoubtedly a really important addition, somebody has to make the university stop building mammoth buildings right on the riverbank. That river valley is Saskatoon's best asset and we can't allow it to be buried in concrete.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temperance View Post
While the Children's Hospital is undoubtedly a really important addition, somebody has to make the university stop building mammoth buildings right on the riverbank. That river valley is Saskatoon's best asset and we can't allow it to be buried in concrete.
While I'd agree that the new Children's Hospital is a behemoth, I'd also say that, overall, the U of S has done a pretty decent job of keeping large buildings back from the riverbank. The buildings closest to the river (President's residence, Dube Centre for Mental Health, Diefenbaker Centre and the Lutheran seminary complex are all relatively small in stature and don't overwhelm the landscape of the riverbank.

Though set a little farther back, one could argue that the existing RUH dominated that view, but now it's largely hidden by the Children's Hospital.

If you really want to start a debate you could say the same thing about the new art gallery...

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 3:01 PM

Quote:
This is not the opinion of the majority of people who walk by this building. I live in a high rise right across from it and it's been awesome to see it take shape, reminds me of the children's hospital along the river in downtown Winnipeg which is a lot closer to their river. I think the next step would be to get a walking bridge sponsored by a private corp that connects the children's hospital directly to kinsmen park / children's discovery museum. This city is aching for a walking bridge/train bridge isn't wheelchair accessible, it's time to build a walking bridge right there, alongside the new walking bridge that may go with that hydroelectric damn. Thoughts? It could be a beautiful one like that red one in Calgary, or like Winnipeg's with the restaurant in the middle.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 11:29 PM

Quote:
What about numerous apartments, hotels, offices in the CBD?

Old Posted Aug 30, 2017, 7:37 AM
Regina rhymes with fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post

I just wish that when these mega donations are made, it is not always with the clause to re-name a facility. I have no problem the research arm of Children's Hospital maybe being called the Jim Pattison CH Rsearch Foundation....but for some reason rebranding a facility just doesn't sit with me....but then again, I have not contributed 50M to this project!

It's basically a requirement. How else will people try to convince the rich to donate large sums of money to a worthy cause?

Old Posted Sep 1, 2017, 10:38 AM

Pics, worth a thousand words every time! Thanks, man.

And now, prairieguy, I see what you mean. Even a literal diagonal splash of blue/green/yellow along the side would help brand this place. I think it just comes down to the complete utilitarian mindset you guys have on the use of public funds. Maybe Mr. Jimmy P could add his "2 cents" to the design;>?

Besides the old traffic bridge rebuild, (which has taken a lot of flack, but is way better than being flat), the last 4 spans across the river haven't had the balls to even incorporate pelican-shaped light standards/poles, I mean anything to make the bridges just a bit more than an ashfault (sic) span across the water. Anyway, that's progress.

Back to the Children's Hospital, nice rooms, shame about the face; but it'll still hold a wonderful heart. Cheers!

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 2:08 PM

Another donation to children's hospital, really appreciated nice to see.

http://www.ckom.com/2017/09/19/ed-sh...rens-hospital/

Old Posted Oct 14, 2017, 2:50 PM

An update on children's hospital construction

http://www.ckom.com/2017/10/13/rooms...al-progresses/

Old Posted Oct 14, 2017, 3:28 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
This is not the opinion of the majority of people who walk by this building. I live in a high rise right across from it and it's been awesome to see it take shape, reminds me of the children's hospital along the river in downtown Winnipeg which is a lot closer to their river. I think the next step would be to get a walking bridge sponsored by a private corp that connects the children's hospital directly to kinsmen park / children's discovery museum. This city is aching for a walking bridge/train bridge isn't wheelchair accessible, it's time to build a walking bridge right there, alongside the new walking bridge that may go with that hydroelectric damn. Thoughts? It could be a beautiful one like that red one in Calgary, or like Winnipeg's with the restaurant in the middle.
Sorry but Winnipeg Children's Hospital is nowhere near the river and hasn't been for close to 50 years! Did you mean Calgary?

Old Posted Oct 15, 2017, 9:49 PM

Jim Pattison Children’s Hospital construction reaches 70 per cent completion

By Rebekah Lesko, Global News
October 13, 2017

It’s been more than three years since the sod-turning event at the Jim Pattison Children’s Hospital.

On Friday, it was announced the construction of the hospital is 70 per cent complete.

Saskatchewan Premier Brad Wall, as well as media, toured the facility on Friday. Wall spoke to reporters after the tour and said the project is on time and on budget, with a total project cost of $285.2 million.

[........]

Read more:
https://globalnews.ca/news/3803266/j...ion-saskatoon/

Old Posted Nov 6, 2017, 2:37 AM

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 4:11 PM

Nice picture of the hospitl in this article

http://www.sasknow.ca/local-news/san...hospital-today

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan