HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windypeg View Post
It really pisses me off that the police budget has nearly doubled in the last 15 years and they can't even bother to deal with guys blatantly selling drugs everyday in the same spot 3 blocks from their headquarters. Roll a van over there once a week and toss em all in ffs. What are we paying them for?
Police are far too busy dealing with the scourge of Winnipeg - people looking at their phones in the drive-thru and car wash lines.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 3:40 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Perhaps the police don't intervene as they will just move somewhere else worse. I mean, it's a good place for drug dealers - out of sight, out of mind.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 3:42 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unknown Poster View Post
Police are far too busy dealing with the scourge of Winnipeg - people looking at their phones in the drive-thru and car wash lines.
Drugs are fine. Phones out while sitting in a drive thru? You are surely the spawn of satan himself and pose a grave risk to the public
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownBooster View Post
They don't seem to hang around Winnipeg Square. I wonder why they're so attracted to Portage Place? It would be great if someone could figure out a way to get rid of them.
Winnipeg Square heavily locks down around 5 pm, at least under the model it has operated under until now. Portage Place is open normal mall hours and well into the evening. The food court at Portage Place is an easy place to sit for an extended time sheltered from the elements. WPG Square used to actively lock their food court in the evening/weekend (the gates are still in place). WPG Square also lacks anyplace to sit (even the planters are gone now) while Portage Place has places that are more permissive to loitering. WPG Square security actively "encourages" people to get out of their building, Portage Place doesn't seem to care.

Seems pretty obvious but would require a major organizational culture shifted at Portage Place to fix the issues. It would also require some hard cash to renovate the interior to clean up the softer loitering spots.

Taking it one step further, after a Jets games/MTS Centre event City Place actively has their security people out to control people stopping in their food court.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 6:44 PM
Winnipeg

If a 200+m tower is built some time in the future won't it be nice if it's called something related to "Century"?

An possibly containing Art Deco elements

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 6:52 PM

It wasn't a highrise per se, but I wonder if the AMC Governance House idea will ever come back?

At one point it was slated for Higgins and Main if my memory serves correctly, then it moved out to the urban reserve off Silver. But then the proposal faded away for reasons I don't remember. Something like that would be a pretty cool landmark.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2018, 1:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
I would also love to hear a statement from WPS on this, if possible. It's extremely unlikely they don't know what's happening there, so there must be some reason or reasons they don't seem to enforce more stringently.
They know. They don't have the resources though. Beat patrol shows up and it empties out.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2018, 3:38 AM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
And further still residential is not what is needed as we don't need a Place Promenade expansion.
But why not? I mean, you're not going to ever lease an office tower in Winnipeg without it being a purpose-built thing (or whatever the name for a single tenant occupying and owning the building is) Nobody is crazy enough to build any office towers in Winnipeg purely on spec. This ain't Calgary. It seems to me that residential is the only practical option. I suppose you could put up a hotel (which has been proposed more than once on those PP pads) but I'm not sure the how many large hotel projects the city can support in the core. I'm surprised that we can support the ones that do exist to be frank.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2018, 4:38 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
It wasn't a highrise per se, but I wonder if the AMC Governance House idea will ever come back?

At one point it was slated for Higgins and Main if my memory serves correctly, then it moved out to the urban reserve off Silver. But then the proposal faded away for reasons I don't remember. Something like that would be a pretty cool landmark.

This would look amazing at Higgins and Main beside the old CP railway station . It would really change that area overnight as all that park is now is a place for ( I hate to say it ) the homeless and destitute.

The entire area should be made a urban reserve type area for business and government.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2018, 7:28 PM

Something really needs to be done at Higgins and Main and the entire area around there. It is WPG skid row. There were more homless out there this year. It's getting worse.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2018, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito View Post
Something really needs to be done at Higgins and Main and the entire area around there. It is WPG skid row. There were more homless out there this year. It's getting worse.
Unless the idea is to make homelessness invisible by moving people elsewhere (and I'm definitely not accusing you of having this position, I'm just saying), this needs a "homeless" solution, as much as a "development" solution. I believe it has been shown that providing the homeless with accommodation first actually helps many homeless people kick addictions problems that may have led to their homelessness in the first place. It has been done successfully on a small scale, but many more spaces are needed; the eternal questions are "where" and "who pays"?

Old Posted Dec 10, 2018, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKGUY View Post
Yes it is!Before Christmas
We are getting pretty close to Christmas. Any updates??

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito View Post
We are getting pretty close to Christmas. Any updates??
Well, besides some other rumours, There seems to be lots of speculation and talk about Wawanesa expanding and or looking for a new larger tower and Skip the Dishes also looking for a new larger home.
Depending on how things play out, we could see 1 large 1 medium or 2 medium buildings is they both remain committed to downtown. Wawnesa might expand @ Broadway & main or completely get a new tower or partner up with another player for office.
We know another hotel or 2 will be a couple of years away. A hotel, mixed use building with one of the above would pave the way for a larger building for sure in either case.
Also, in a few years, Power corp my still go ahead with a once planned huge tower or twin towers for both Investors and GWL..All speculation and depends how they perform.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 1:47 AM
Winnipeg

Quote:
Well, besides some other rumours, There seems to be lots of speculation and talk about Wawanesa expanding and or looking for a new larger tower and Skip the Dishes also looking for a new larger home.
Depending on how things play out, we could see 1 large 1 medium or 2 medium buildings is they both remain committed to downtown. Wawnesa might expand @ Broadway & main or completely get a new tower or partner up with another player for office.
We know another hotel or 2 will be a couple of years away. A hotel, mixed use building with one of the above would pave the way for a larger building for sure in either case.
Also, in a few years, Power corp my still go ahead with a once planned huge tower or twin towers for both Investors and GWL..All speculation and depends how they perform.
That's nice

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 2:14 AM

Quote:
Please stop repeating this, GWL is not going to build a huge new tower. They are currently doing a multi million dollar renovation to 80 Osborne. IF they were to build anything new, it would be on their existing property where their campus is today and would most likely be interconnected with the underground tunnels and cafeteria that exists there now.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
Please stop repeating this, GWL is not going to build a huge new tower. They are currently doing a multi million dollar renovation to 80 Osborne. IF they were to build anything new, it would be on their existing property where their campus is today and would most likely be interconnected with the underground tunnels and cafeteria that exists there now.
Imagine if they were renovating to sell... Sold the campus to Skip... while announcing a brand new tall (tallest) build downtown. We can dream right?

Last edited by blue4life; Dec 21, 2018 at 9:29 PM.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 9:49 PM
surely you agree with me

I can confirm that power corp will not be building towers for GWL and IG.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
I can confirm that power corp will not be building towers for GWL and IG.
GWL doesn't need it, especially as they reno 80 Osborne N.

IG could really use it. Their staff are scattered across hell's half acre. Portage, St. Mary, Polo Park, Waverley... am I missing any?

Old Posted Jan 2, 2019, 9:32 PM
jammon member

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
GWL doesn't need it, especially as they reno 80 Osborne N.

IG could really use it. Their staff are scattered across hell's half acre. Portage, St. Mary, Polo Park, Waverley... am I missing any?
No doubt. But maybe it's part of their plan- increased visibility and accessibility by having locations all over the city.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2019, 9:40 PM

Every time I am driving and get a quick glimpse of the skyline I imagine a new tallest building in the area where skycity centre was going to be. I would really like to see something go up 416 Main soon.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan