HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Feb 10, 2010, 2:45 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

Exactly we need consultants to tell us this? Let's wait another 30 years before we do anything that we don't know what we need.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2010, 2:54 PM

about the only things new to me are the recommendations for heavy rail from port to airport.... that would be great except we turned the only railway going up the east mountain into a stupid rail-trail.

A food terminal is good, actually making the Port capable for container shipping would be great. But we've been talking about Randle Reef for... I don't know.... 10 years now.

I have trouble believing Queens Park gives a crap about Hamilton. They want to see our own council and staff do something to help ourself first.

What I wouldn't mind seeing is Queens Park taking complete control of Hamilton for 8 years... budget, planning and Ec Dev, All City Staff take orders from QP. Go two whole terms without any bickering self-serving little ward fiefdom battles and NIMBYs only to get re-elected.

On a much larger scale this is what destroyed Obama's healthcare, his own Senate and House lost the vision and started to only concern themselves with getting re-elected.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2010, 3:01 PM
It's Hammer Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcity View Post
I have trouble believing Queens Park gives a crap about Hamilton. They want to see our own council and staff do something to help ourself first.
Man I could probably go on and on with a list of positive things that Queen's Park aka Premier McGuinty has done for Hamilton in the last couple of years.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2010, 3:17 PM

let's see the list
- bails out our budget every year

I don't know what else?

We don't have LRT yet.. We don't have a stadium yet. I'll wait for those two when their building them. They keep approving housing projects. Hospitals lay off staff

Old Posted Feb 10, 2010, 3:54 PM
It's Hammer Time

Lister Block
Funding for B and A-Line buses
Red Hill Expressway
Glanbook Business Park
Gas Tax
Henderson Hospital
General Hospital
Bob Kemp Hospice
Randle Reef
Pedestrian bridge over the QEW
GO Transit funding - layover facility
Hamilton Junction rail–to–rail grade separation project
Fennell Campus Renewal Project
Innovation Park
$3 million funding for EA for B and A-Line
2015 Pan Am Games
Morgan Firestone Arena
I think I'll stop

Old Posted Feb 10, 2010, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Lister Block
Funding for B and A-Line buses
Red Hill Expressway
Glanbook Business Park
Gas Tax
Henderson Hospital
General Hospital
Bob Kemp Hospice
Randle Reef
Pedestrian bridge over the QEW
GO Transit funding - layover facility
Hamilton Junction rail–to–rail grade separation project
Fennell Campus Renewal Project
Innovation Park
$3 million funding for EA for B and A-Line
2015 Pan Am Games
Morgan Firestone Arena
I think I'll stop
Lister - it was a bad deal, always was against it
RedHill - isn't the City suing a level of gov? feds or mabye QP, besides it's a waste of money, it'll cost more in maintenance then it ever returns in sprawl tax, already caused flooding
GO is taking FOREVER!!!
$3 million in transit versus Toronto's $300 million it's a pittance
PanAm -- Wait and see until it's built, the stadium still might end of up Burlington or worse the airport
What about the Glanbrook Business Park? Did QP build that for us? It's about 10 years old, probably Mike Harris started.
Gas tax went to ALL cities, not just Hamilton, beside we spend it on potholes. How about HST is that good? My business expense just went up 8% from rent to accounting fees.
Firestone Arena, one hockey arena in the middle of nowhere
A bridge? hurray... hope that didn't break the budget, when will that get built 2020?
Randle Reef is only if/when the City ponies up their end, that's been going on ten years now. nothing has happened yet but talk, like everything
Bob Kemp, what $150k maybe, that's about the same as a minister's stipend for meal and accommodation
The Hospitals granted, also with the help of Juravinski and Foundation fundraising, still the hospitals is good, but at the same time they have to lay off hundreds of nurses, RPNs and admin
Innovation Park, ya but how long Lord?, its been 5 years and they're till trying to fill the original Camco building

This is 3 terms for McQuinty now... that's not an impressive list. A bit here and there but not much ground breaking stuff.

He just better make up for it big time with both LRT lines. If he gives us busses, I'd say forget it, you can put them up your ass. Because that means we'll never ever get rail. And no one will ride a bus because it's called BRT. Isn't that what B-Line is anyway. It'll still be a bus and it will still mean your a loser (in Hamilton) if you ride the bus

They should've stepped up on the Education Square, offered to move a Ministry Office there. Ministry of Labour office or something.

Give Hamilton a Wind Turbine Farm on Mount Hope and wind/solar power research center in MIP. With that it'll never be sprawl housing which is what the city and developers want. It's the highest point between Lake Erie and Lake Ontario, the wind should be strong enough.

I'm talking big things that make a big difference. Not dropping bread crumbs around to show they've been here.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2010, 4:28 PM

Out of all the proposals for Lister, this one was by far the worst. Remember the twin condo buildings, but they needed the Farmers' Market to move there? And Yale said forget it. Why we couldn't have two farmers markets still baffles me.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2010, 4:36 PM
It's Hammer Time

Hey you couldn't name a single project McGuinty funded so I went ahead and name just a few. All of those projects are probably well over $2 billion and I didn't even include everything like $100 million to Stelco, Westmount, research money, etc. But I guess billions is still crumbs.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2010, 6:23 PM

What would it be if you took out the hospitals, RedHill, Gas Tax and Stadium.
1. Because hospitals needed it anyway, Hamilton is a regional medical hub for Niagara, Haldimand, Norfolk, and Halton
2. Stadium, don't have it yet
3. Redhill too controversial, a lot of people would rather that money went somewhere other then to sprawl houses. a highway to hell
4. Can't include gas tax it was province-wide

I'm just doing my civic duty as critizing the government. I won't wait until im retired to do so.

over and out

Old Posted Feb 10, 2010, 6:36 PM
It's Hammer Time

I'm not even going to bother as it seems it won’t satisfy you even it's worth billions (PC wanted Henderson closed and Glanbrook is funded by McGuinty not Harris) plus there's Google so anyone can check McGuinty’s record towards Hamilton. For me I don't care if the Premier is Liberal or PC, I just care if he/she is helping our community.

Personally I think McGuinty has been very helpful to Hamilton and I can't say other Premiers have done as better. It's great to have a premier that's a strong supporter of public transit, health care, and funded this report to see what it would take for Hamilton to rejuvenate.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2010, 6:58 PM

An independent development corporation is theoretically capable of as much malfeasance, cronyism, corruption and fraud as any elected government, no?

Old Posted Feb 10, 2010, 7:12 PM
It's Hammer Time

I suppose so, any organization can be corrupt. I think HSR should be a separate commission like Metrolinx and Economic Development should be an independent development corporation with funding from the province and the City, kinda like SODA – Southern Ontario Development Agency. Less things controlled by the City the better.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2010, 7:13 PM

I voted for McQuinty last election. I didnt say PCs would do better. I just want more for hamilton. we need it all

Old Posted Feb 10, 2010, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistleclub View Post
An independent development corporation is theoretically capable of as much malfeasance, cronyism, corruption and fraud as any elected government, no?
I'm definitely with you on this one.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2010, 12:13 PM
It's Hammer Time

Dreaming of greatness
Infrastructure 'solutions' would transform Hamilton's tax base, report suggests

February 11, 2010
Meredith Macleod
The Hamilton Spectator
http://www.thespec.com/News/Local/article/719986

Where there is now a hulking, rusting empty factory, Mayor Fred Eisenberger envisions roaring crowds, bustling streets and a new link to the waterfront.

The mayor led a small tour yesterday, which included city manager Chris Murray, Canadian Urban Institute researcher Iain Myrans and local media, through two of the five districts highlighted in the institute's blueprint for infrastructure investment.

The report, Building Momentum: Made in Hamilton Infrastructure Solutions, calls for a range of "foundational projects" concentrated along James Street, the waterfront, west harbour rail yards and McMaster Innovation Park.

The tour started outside the former Rheem plant on Stuart Street, which once pumped out water heaters. The spot, now owned by the city, along with another large parcel of land south of it, is the proposed site of a new Pan Am Games stadium.

"This is a brownfield. This is our only opportunity to remediate it in partnership with other levels of government," said Eisenberger of the stadium project, which is expected to replace the ailing Ivor Wynne Stadium as home to the Ticats.

"I think it would be a brilliant move to put it here on the waterfront," he said, noting the stadium could be a catalyst for the west harbourfront and go a long way to tying the waterfront to downtown.

A staff report on the stadium site is scheduled to be presented to city councillors next Thursday.

One of the key recommendations of the CUI report, which was commissioned and paid for by the province, is the creation of a non-profit land development corporation charged with driving development on important parcels of land.

They can be city-owned or in private hands, says Myrans. The crucial part is that development increases housing and employment density, capitalizes on the potential of underused land resources and attracts other investment.

The development corporation would not replace the current economic development department at city hall, which would continue to focus on business attraction and retention, city branding and marketing for the whole city.

Eisenberger likes the idea of a development corporation having a narrow focus on a key parcel of land, citing the revitalization of Halifax's waterfront as a clear example of success.

Councillor Terry Whitehead said a separate development corporation would be able to offer incentives and broker partnerships that are off-limits to the city under the Municipal Act.

"If it was broken out as a corporation, there is a lot more flexibility and tools to build investments."

But Gilles Duranton, an associate professor of economics at the University of Toronto, says there is little evidence that any economic development work at the city level pays off.

"Cities shouldn't do economic development, it's a waste of money. ... Cities should make sure public transit is running properly, pick up garbage, provide good amenities and good schools," said Duranton.

"Everything else is lunacy."

Murray said renewal efforts are key to meeting the demands of an aging population on city services.

"We have to get this right to meet that demand. We have to grow our tax assessment."

That point was loud and clear in the CUI report, which said a big stumbling block for Hamilton is a tax base that puts an undue burden on homeowners. In 1974, commercial and industrial assessment was 49 per cent of the total assessment. In 2009, the non-residential portion had shrunk to 26 per cent.

According to the CUI, if the assessment base had not changed from its composition in 1994, the city would have had $133 million more in tax revenue in 2009.

That's about 10 per cent of the city's annual operating budget.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2010, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Innovation Park, ya but how long Lord?, its been 5 years and they're till trying to fill the original Camco building.
The building is 100% rented out. Some of the tenants have not moved in yet as their area’s require more work to be ready. They are so short of space compared to the demand they have, they have had to leased back from Steelcare 20% of the warehouse across the street to build more labs. Canmet building is on time. The Frid Street extension will most likely start this year barring government red tape and environmental approvals.
They are working on the next 3 buildings and hope to have the shovel in the ground by the fall for the first one if not all three buildings. They are working on several other projects that may be announced this year. A big problem is finding money for the projects as they are not cheap. The hotel is delayed as the location originally proposed turned out to be soft land fill and requires at least $1 million more for a building to be built there for the foundation alone. It may be move to another location if the money is not there.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2010, 3:18 PM

k that's good news.

But 5 years to get the space ready?.... In a building that was already offices.? The original rendering will be completed in 10 more years at this pace. You do not think this is moving slooooow? With a high demand... it's even moving slower then it should. "Hopefully shovel ready in the Fall" holy crap.

But the McMaster business school in Burlington is almost finished.... it was started like 7 months ago.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2010, 3:52 PM

from the start, the MIP has been a 21 year plan in 7 phases if I remember correctly..

MIP is a huge project and from the looks of it they are moving on schedule...

Old Posted Feb 11, 2010, 3:59 PM

21 years lol

Old Posted Feb 11, 2010, 10:15 PM
Concerned Citizen

Quote:
21 years lol
I am sure that timeline can and will be accelerated if there is a demand.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy