HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 23, 2019, 7:15 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
The document is brand new. Infrastructure plan 2020.

The piece they talk about can still exist and connect CPT to regent. But that's about it. No ring road possible from there unless they deke over to Plessis and follow that alignment down to Fermor. The old right of way south of regent was sold. Now has Vickar Mitsubishi and a bunch of houses built on it.
Just don't get what the city is doing with CPT either, it could be extended to Plessis very easily and then what? There was talk about extending the CPT to the east Perimeter but what does that do other than provide a roadway for Springfield!
Perimeter

Concordia, Peguis and other roadways in NE Winnipeg are all basically uncompleted routes!

Old Posted Dec 23, 2019, 8:07 PM

Long term what needs to happen is the Perimeter (outer ring) and the new inner ring network (CPT, William Clement, Bishop and the east side cooridor route Plessis?). then each of the four sides of the inner ring also connect up to the outer ring road. Those same four roads then become focus roads for connecting the greater capital region including the Headingley bypass, the St Norbert By Pass, the Oak Bank corridor route, Hwy 2/3, Hwy 6, 59, HWY 1 east, etc

Yeah I know this forums would like to see the Perimeter turned into the great wall of Manitoba to keep those invaders out but Winnipeg is not nor will it ever be a fully self-sustaining city. We need connections to the outside world and the vision above gives clear direction on where that focus will be.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2019, 11:43 PM
There is always a way

I was very concerned to read that they plan to widen St Mary's from St Anne's to Marion. There is a plan to make it 6 lanes. At least it is listed on the city's priority list. The asininity of this is beyond words. They expect it to "require significant property acquisition". So what? They're gonna buy and bulldoze every building in old St Vital? So stupid. Let's destroy and permanently scar a perfectly nice and well functioning urban neighbourhood so the suburbanites can commute faster. Right, great idea!

Or we could focus on routes that would not require the leveling of mature neighborhoods.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Dec 24, 2019, 3:39 AM

There supposed to be an rt line down st Mary's too. I dont see how it can happen.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2019, 5:12 AM

Of all the possible infrastructure priorities in this town, I don't see how widening St Mary's makes the shortlist. It doesn't seem that urgent to me, even leaving aside the carnage that doing so would probably inflict on the neighbourhood.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2019, 5:55 AM
Back from the dead

St. Marys has always seemed to flow fairly well but it's no surprise that ultimately it will need to be expanded. I would argue that there's no hurry for it but that eventually it will be necessary.

The one that surprises me is the Fermor and Lag interchange.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2019, 6:47 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Is Highway 59 (Boulevard Lagimodière) under provincial or municipal jurisdiction from 100 to 101?

Old Posted Dec 24, 2019, 7:32 AM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Is Highway 59 (Boulevard Lagimodière) under provincial or municipal jurisdiction from 100 to 101?
Switched from provincial to municipal once the east perimeter was completed
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Dec 24, 2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
St. Marys has always seemed to flow fairly well but it's no surprise that ultimately it will need to be expanded. I would argue that there's no hurry for it but that eventually it will be necessary.
Why? We can always choose not to add more capacity for traffic. Portage Avenue is awfully congested downtown in rush hour -- will it be necessary to expand that too? By the same logic, maybe Toronto should look into demolishing everything on Queen Street so that traffic can flow better there too.

I don't see a widening of St. Mary's ever happening. The community managed to stop the proposed interchange at Marion & Archibald due to its destructive effects. Widening St. Mary's would be literally 100 times more destructive. It would mean demolishing a large chunk of the commercial core of Norwood/Old St. Vital. There's no way that people would stand for it.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2019, 3:11 PM
Winnipeg

Tesla Supercharging stations are now officially set up near CF Polo Park.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B6dNpEVg...d=ym0grpzgerpy

Old Posted Dec 24, 2019, 5:22 PM

Any plans for Henderson Highway rehab north of Gilmore to 101? It’s getting very busy with new commercial and residential. A median with proper turning lanes and probably a signal at Bonner are desperately needed.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2019, 8:03 PM

^^^ the ditches are pretty "rural" along that stretch as well!

Old Posted Dec 25, 2019, 1:01 PM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarryEllice View Post
Why? We can always choose not to add more capacity for traffic. Portage Avenue is awfully congested downtown in rush hour -- will it be necessary to expand that too? By the same logic, maybe Toronto should look into demolishing everything on Queen Street so that traffic can flow better there too.

I don't see a widening of St. Mary's ever happening. The community managed to stop the proposed interchange at Marion & Archibald due to its destructive effects. Widening St. Mary's would be literally 100 times more destructive. It would mean demolishing a large chunk of the commercial core of Norwood/Old St. Vital. There's no way that people would stand for it.
Congestion isn't a problem until people can't move. People didn't "stop" the Marion/Archibald interchange, they just forced the city back to the drawing board. They'll come up with something that people aren't happy about one way or another. Also, I'm not so sure it was such a great thing to do that given that congestion is only getting worse.
Look at all the growth in the south end of the city east of the Red. That's why. As soon as the Perimeter upgrades are complete or WW gets built out, where do you think the next area is that will be opened up for development? That's right...just south of the Perimeter, east of the Red. It's currently zoned as agricultural but that will change. Especially considering the upgrade on 100 necessitates realignment of the road such that it pretty much says "develop this". You can't even just say, "Well, don't develop it." because all the communities in the region are already planning development and they'll keep on doing just that until the city provides serviced land.

As for people not standing for it or it never happening...well, it IS happening and most of the properties most affected are rental or institutional. If the city wants to do it, they'll buy it all up and do it.

As a resident of the area for over three decades, I see no problem at all with an expansion mostly because when they do expand it, they'll undoubtedly put in the requisite safety measures as well.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2019, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWG-RO View Post
Any plans for Henderson Highway rehab north of Gilmore to 101? It’s getting very busy with new commercial and residential. A median with proper turning lanes and probably a signal at Bonner are desperately needed.
Henderson from the center line of Glenway north is PTH 204 and I don't think the current provincial govt is in any mood to spend money to improve it.

I think the section from Gilmore to Glenway is in the city's long term plans for an upgrade.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2019, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Henderson from the center line of Glenway north is PTH 204 and I don't think the current provincial govt is in any mood to spend money to improve it.

I think the section from Gilmore to Glenway is in the city's long term plans for an upgrade.
You are correct, but this really isn’t a provincial matter. A couple of years ago the province extended the median on 204 south to accommodate Maxwell King Drive. I don’t think the remaining 1000’ is the issue. The province can’t go further south unless C of W does something with north Henderson.

So, to split hairs: are there any firm plans for Winnipeg to place a median on Henderson from 200’ north of Fortier to the center line of Glenway?

Old Posted Dec 25, 2019, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Congestion isn't a problem until people can't move. People didn't "stop" the Marion/Archibald interchange, they just forced the city back to the drawing board. They'll come up with something that people aren't happy about one way or another. Also, I'm not so sure it was such a great thing to do that given that congestion is only getting worse.
Look at all the growth in the south end of the city east of the Red. That's why. As soon as the Perimeter upgrades are complete or WW gets built out, where do you think the next area is that will be opened up for development? That's right...just south of the Perimeter, east of the Red. It's currently zoned as agricultural but that will change. Especially considering the upgrade on 100 necessitates realignment of the road such that it pretty much says "develop this". You can't even just say, "Well, don't develop it." because all the communities in the region are already planning development and they'll keep on doing just that until the city provides serviced land.

As for people not standing for it or it never happening...well, it IS happening and most of the properties most affected are rental or institutional. If the city wants to do it, they'll buy it all up and do it.

As a resident of the area for over three decades, I see no problem at all with an expansion mostly because when they do expand it, they'll undoubtedly put in the requisite safety measures as well.
Clearly you don't know the City of Winnipeg.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2019, 5:15 PM

Quote:
It IS happening? What makes you say that? Because some traffic engineers decided that it should be listed as a future priority? If urban development worked that way, we'd have the Norman Wilson subway system by now.

Show me any other Canadian city where the current solution to traffic congestion is demolishing mature commerical districts for the sake of road widening. That idea went out with the 1960s, and for good reason.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2019, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWG-RO View Post
You are correct, but this really isn’t a provincial matter. A couple of years ago the province extended the median on 204 south to accommodate Maxwell King Drive. I don’t think the remaining 1000’ is the issue. The province can’t go further south unless C of W does something with north Henderson.

So, to split hairs: are there any firm plans for Winnipeg to place a median on Henderson from 200’ north of Fortier to the center line of Glenway?
I think Maxwell King drive was a developer contribution not govt money.

But as far as I know there is no near term plan (nothing I can see in the 5 year budget plan) for the city to improve its part of Henderson from Fortier to north.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2019, 7:29 PM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarryEllice View Post
It IS happening? What makes you say that? Because some traffic engineers decided that it should be listed as a future priority? If urban development worked that way, we'd have the Norman Wilson subway system by now.

Show me any other Canadian city where the current solution to traffic congestion is demolishing mature commerical districts for the sake of road widening. That idea went out with the 1960s, and for good reason.
Nobody's said anything about demolishing anything. Some properties will undoubtedly have to be expropriated but I highly doubt the city's going to level everything on one side of the road to make room for a couple extra lanes. It's in their own interests to keep those businesses up, you know.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2019, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
It's here:
https://www.winnipeg.ca/infrastructu...cture-plan.stm

There's a pdf document within that page. It's basically just a big priority list with estimated costs and some basic descriptions of the projects.

I find it confusing that under the Ed Schreyer Parkway, it noted it as part of the eastern ring road. Like the eastern ring road, in which the city sold the corridor that now has houses built on it?
I'm blown away by some of these rehabilitation and replacement costs. Does Winnipeg not do regular maintenance on its bridges? The Louise Bridge replacement project is pegged at $245.2 million in 2024 dollars. I found a Winnipeg Free Press article from 12/3/2008 that stated the year before the cost was estimated to be between $20 and $60 million and then was revised to $100 million in 2008. Looking at photos of the bridge I just don't see how replacing this bridge with a four lane bridge will cost $245.2 million. Even $100 million sounds high.

Then there's Chief Peguis Trail Extension West which is estimated to cost $598.0 million in 2020 dollars. The description says it will include four intersections. WTF?! They want to spend that kind of money on a four lane stretch of road that has intersections?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan