HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Feb 25, 2024, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetM View Post
Best guess - 1601 N. Vermont.
https://maps.app.goo.gl/fkeJtPMCc6dMNh9n8
(The link above is in the parking lot inside the pony wall, because the street-based views are badly blocked by trees, buses, and homeless encampments on the sidewalk.)

I found a list of 1967 and 1970 Alexander's locations on this site:
https://www.groceteria.ca/board/view...hp?f=27&t=1192

I went through them all - most buildings are still there, and one of them has a tall sign like the one in the old photo (273 E. Gladstone, Azusa), but the one on Vermont seems to be the best match, with a short pony wall at the sidewalk and a high hill behind it (the Hollyhock House and grounds), which is *maybe* on the old photo - it's dark back there but it looks like a building or retaining wall on the left and a building poking up above the market on the right.
Im not convinced because the street at the right doesnt look right. It looks like a freeway onramp to me, but there is no freeway at this location on Vermont at Hollywood. But there does seem to be a similar wall or remnants of the wall. but im not convinced 100percent

Old Posted Feb 25, 2024, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullpower View Post
Im not convinced because the street at the right doesnt look right. It looks like a freeway onramp to me, but there is no freeway at this location on Vermont at Hollywood. But there does seem to be a similar wall or remnants of the wall. but im not convinced 100percent
The "street" at the right was the original entrance to Barnsdall Park from Vermont Avenue. It was relocated around 1965 (it was still there in 1963 when I lived in the area) to the Hollywood Blvd side.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2024, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir_Noir View Post

Nice work with deciphering the sign ProphetM, which led to the Lonsdale Apts. which led to this possibility.

At the bottom of the picture you can see part of an arrow sign for "Los Angeles Wallpaper".

rescarta.lapl.org
Quote:
That has a lot of potential, especially as I look through aerial photographs. Not definitive but a seemingly good match. However, why do the apartment numbers only go up to the 300s on a 6-story building?

The Los Angeles Wallpaper ad looks like it's on a bus bench to me, and I'm not sure that is an arrow on the right hand side. If it is pointing to the right, I would think that it is pointing to an address on Wilshire Blvd., not on Serrano.

Yes the aerials do look a good match. I'm putting my money on the Lonsdale.

mil.library.ucsb.edu

Whoever took the picture was on Wilshire looking across at an angle to the Lonsdale (blue box) on Serrano.

The insurance company office in the picture was for National American Insurance to the rear of 3701 Wilshire.

The directory capture was snipped from two pages and abbreviates the Lonsdale listing. The Lonsdale had sixty apartments.

I think the Los Angeles Wallpaper & Paint Co. were located across Wilshire in the red circle.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2024, 6:36 PM

Quote:

mil.library.ucsb.edu

Whoever took the picture was on Wilshire looking across at an angle to the Lonsdale (blue box) on Serrano.

The insurance company office in the picture was for National American Insurance to the rear of 3701 Wilshire.

The directory capture was snipped from two pages and abbreviates the Lonsdale listing. The Lonsdale had sixty apartments.

I think the Los Angeles Wallpaper & Paint Co. were located across Wilshire in the red circle.
Based on the aerials I think you are probably right. I found the one you posted as well as some others, and all were frustratingly inconclusive but the low building next door, additional apartment to the north, and parking lot including orientation of the spots, all match. I can't identify the rooftop sign on any of the aerials but it's too slight for that most likely. In at least one aerial I can see that the corners of the building have higher walls, but the palm trees in the photo block all of the corners to be able to confirm that design element, which is infuriating!

Old Posted Feb 25, 2024, 9:37 PM

re: Alexander's

Quote:
Best guess - 1601 N. Vermont.
https://maps.app.goo.gl/fkeJtPMCc6dMNh9n8
(The link above is in the parking lot inside the pony wall, because the street-based views are badly blocked by trees, buses, and homeless encampments on the sidewalk.)
You're absolutely correct, ProphetM.

Did anyone notice the mature trees directly behind Alexander's?

They are in. . . .

Now take a gander at this aerial of Barnsdall Park. (1930s?-1940s?)

Sooooooo Alexander's wasn't built next to Barnsdall Park, it was built within the former boundries of the park!

[Postscript:

I hadn't realized how much land Barnsdall Park has sold off until I compared it to the old aerial.

Color me STUNNED!

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Feb 25, 2024 at 9:56 PM.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2024, 5:08 AM

im now convinced. thanks

Quote:
re: Alexander's

You're absolutely correct, ProphetM.

Did anyone notice the mature trees directly behind Alexander's?

They are in. . . .

Now take a gander at this aerial of Barnsdall Park. (1930s?-1940s?)

Sooooooo Alexander's wasn't built next to Barnsdall Park, it was built within the former boundries of the park!

[Postscript:

I hadn't realized how much land Barnsdall Park has sold off until I compared it to the old aerial.

Color me STUNNED!

Old Posted Feb 26, 2024, 6:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Charles View Post
Noir_Noir, I've been mucking around on IMDB, but I just can't figure it out... how do you do a search by filming location?
I got to the IMDB page (of whatever movie or show I'm looking at) and scroll down to filming locations. If you click on the location, it will go to other movies and shows filmed there

Old Posted Feb 26, 2024, 8:08 PM

The news says this has gone global, but have any of you Noirishers heard about Los Angeles's Ghost Towers?

Construction for Oceanwide Plaza on the 1100 block of Flower Street was halted in 2019 when the Chinese developers who had initially planned for condos,
a mall and a hotel, ran out of funding. Since work stopped, the uninhibited* complex of empty towers became an attraction for graffiti artists.

*That's what they wrote!
Info and most photos from here: Deezen.com

As you can see the top floors stopped being constructed. This is right downtown where the Staples Center is. (I still call it that, it's now unfortunately named "crypto.com Arena."
The Grammys were held there this month. These buildings stopped being built at around 27 stories. Two were to be 40 stories and the third 49.

A month ago the last week of January, "graffiti artists" got into the building and started doing their thing. Around 27 floors worth!

It's become L.A.'s newest tourist attraction and largest art installation. :o

NBC News

And within the last couple weeks people have been base-jumping/parachuting from it!!!

For some video, here's a local news channel's reporting:

Old Posted Feb 26, 2024, 9:12 PM

Does anybody recall a statue here, about 50 feet west of the fountain in Arcadia county park? I'm thinking 1990s. There's a square flagstone pedestal.

Forrent

I never took a close look at it. I thought it might have been the statue of the Hugo Reid Family, which was moved to the Gilb museum around 2003. But then I saw that its original location was a few hundred feet away, just north of the swimming pool.

Also this video shows that it has a massive "stump" below the ground (3:08).

Video Link

[Update-- I think maybe I was imagining this. ]

Last edited by Mackerm; Mar 17, 2024 at 6:11 PM.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2024, 11:08 PM

Old Posted Feb 27, 2024, 11:44 AM

Quote:

Well this is what works for me Scott Charles.

Advanced Search -

https://www.imdb.com/search/title/

Expand the "Page topics" filter and choose "Locations" in the "Search within topic" box.

Then enter your location search queries in the box below that.

You can set a time range under "Release date" and any other filters you may want.

Hit Enter.
Many thanks, Noir_Noir, I never would have figured that out on my own!

Old Posted Feb 27, 2024, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Welcome back, ProphetM.
Quote:
Welcome back, ProphetM.
Rendering for Alexander's Market (1952, Stiles O. Clements) at Barnsdall Square shopping center on North Vermont Avenue

Los Angeles Evening Citizen News
21 Aug 1952
The article mentions that the land was sold by the "Barnsdall heirs" but I always thought Aline Barnsdall donated the land to the city?

"found dead in bed...'a friend' found the body...was a recluse...she deeded a parcel of nearly nine acres to the city as a Christmas present in 1926...intended as a public park...At the time the city took possession the property was valued at $1,000,000...heiress sued the city for return of a portion of the property."
The Los Angeles Times
19 Dec 1946

Ohhh....she had a daughter who sold it off!

"She is survived by a daughter, Aline Elizabeth Devine, and a sister, Mrs. Frances Law."
Valley Times
20 Dec 1946

"...the 10-acre park she had given to the city, only to demand it back after the city balked at the provision she be allowed to hold her remaining 26 acres tax-free. First, the will provides that $100,000 shall go to Mrs. Devine... and $50,000 each to the boys. .. Half of the remainder of the estate goes outright to the daughter, while the other half os to be held in trust for the grandsons...The Olive Hill estate of 26 acres, with valuable frontages bordering on Hollywood and Sunset Blvd., Vermont and New Hampshire, is not to be sold within 15 years after her death unless it brings $5,000,000...Mrs. Devine is named executrix without bond. Miss Barnsdall left nothing to a sister, Mrs. Francis Law, now a widow, of Tulsa, Okla."
Los Angeles Evening Citizen News
21 Dec 1946

Daughter Aline, Jr. moved to Newport Beach, married four times, and died in 1978.
https://www.ancestry.com/family-tree...80923151/story

Here's a supermarket we haven't seen often (if ever) on NLA.

Seller's description:.."CA California LA Los Angeles Alexander’s Market Grocery Store 35 MM Slide Photo"

eBay

Does anyone recognize this location?

Here's a supermarket we haven't seen often (if ever) on NLA.

Seller's description:.."CA California LA Los Angeles Alexander’s Market Grocery Store 35 MM Slide Photo"

eBay

Does anyone recognize this location?

Old Posted Feb 28, 2024, 9:11 PM

THis image of the Belmont Grill at the corner of 5th and Main streets showed up on eBay a few days ago. I'm not sure if we've seen it or not - I decided to post it anyway.

It looks like a scene from a film noir.

I wonder what the club is along the left edge of the border. It looks like 'Club 40 ? . . the neon appears to form a. . .um . .paddle, perhaps.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Feb 28, 2024 at 9:31 PM.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2024, 9:24 PM

A mystery location.

'George's Ranch Market, Los Angeles Area'

eBay

Written at the top: 1938....George and ? (the little boy / no doubt his son)

Photographer's stamp on the reverse.

hmm. .4541 Produce Plaza. Maybe the market is located there too.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2024, 9:40 PM

Quote:

THis image of the Belmont Grill at the corner of 5th and Main streets showed up on eBay a few days ago. I'm not sure if we've seen it or not - I decided to post it anyway.

I wonder what the club is along the left edge of the border. It looks like 'Club 40 ? . . the neon appears to form a. . .um . .paddle, perhaps.

[...]

e_r, more on the Belmont:

From https://home.csulb.edu/~odinthor/socal2a.html

From https://home.csulb.edu/~odinthor/socal2a.html

Old Posted Feb 28, 2024, 9:44 PM

Interesting information on Aline Barnsdall, Snix.

At the end it appears the city was fed up with her many 'causes'. At one point she set up barriers on one of her hillside properites where she let children play to protect them from
rolling into the street. The city demanded she take them down.... She refused.... They took them out anyway. (even though they were on her property)

THEN the city said if Aline was using the land as a park for children a leash law had to be inforced.

Poor Aline looked quite worn out by 1945.

................................................."This damn city is going to be the death of me yet."

R.I.P. Aline You left the city a true treasure.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Feb 28, 2024 at 10:22 PM.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2024, 10:11 PM

Once more: This mystery slide which turned out to be the Lonsdale Apts. -THANKS to Noir Noir and ProphetM.

eBay

Quote:

mil.library.ucsb.edu

I don't believe I would have ever figured it out without your help.

One last question. (I can't let it go folks )

Why do you think the rooftop sign was placed at the back of the building? ...*scratches head*

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Feb 28, 2024 at 10:24 PM.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2024, 10:29 PM

Quote:

This image of the Belmont Grill at the corner of 5th and Main streets showed up on eBay a few days ago. I'm not sure if we've seen it or not - I decided to post it anyway.

I wonder what the club is along the left edge of the border. It looks like 'Club 40 ? . . the neon appears to form a. . .um . .paddle, perhaps..

Actually, it's YOUR Club E_R, I just noticed the front of the place says it's Club 49er!

Also, a Google photo search indicates this photo is on page 3039 of NLA, but I don't see it there.

Maybe it was in this Flyingwedge post with "5th and Main environs" in the title.
It inidicates the post was edited a bit later and maybe this photo was removed.
https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...ostcount=15195

Last edited by Martin Pal; Feb 28, 2024 at 10:40 PM.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2024, 12:46 AM

Could some kind soul help me find the dates when Kemp Camera Supply was at 923 North Cole in Hollywood? I have them at 10 West Main in 1938 and I believe the North Cole location was earlier than that. I have a piece of equipment that I would like to (roughly) date.

Thanks,

Earl

Old Posted Feb 29, 2024, 2:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinthor View Post
Just today- a friend in my Project Rainbow seniors group described Belmont as the happening spot for black gays in the late 1960s-- I had read of this before-- All other bars like Waldorf and Harolds got the non-black crowds---

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos