HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kattiff View Post
there was plans to put it on the other side of the airfrield over in Whytewold for future expansion if it needed but guess they are staying at the airport
Cost and future airfield expansions may have been an issue. The aviation museum has been working with YWG on a relocation plan as one of their strong requirements is airfield access to bring in rehab work and both temporary and new exhibits. The location selected can heavily utilize the existing airfield infrastructure without a massive build out for something like a location on the west side of the airfield. I am pretty sure that no option was off the table for this project.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2019, 5:06 PM

looks like Flair is going down to only Calgary and Toronto
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/flair...130000144.html

Old Posted Jul 28, 2019, 9:32 PM

Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 11:13 AM
BANNED

WAA Fuels Growth and Expands Offerings in Second Quarter of 2019

WINNIPEG, Manitoba – July 25, 2019 – Winnipeg Airports Authority (WAA) continued to build on its strong start to 2019, with the second quarter of the year seeing increased domestic and international travel and cargo growth.

Winnipeg Richardson International Airport greeted more than 1.1 million travellers in the second quarter of 2019, a 1.9 percent increase over the same period in 2018. May 2019 saw the greatest increase, up 4.1 percent over the same period in 2018.

“These results reflect a strong demand for air travel in this region,” said Barry Rempel, President and CEO of WAA. “Sustainable growth in passenger and cargo traffic demonstrates that WAA’s plan is working.”

Travellers will have new options for direct routes later this year as low cost airline Swoop has added seven new direct routes including flights to Las Vegas, Los Cabos, Tampa and Fort Lauderdale.

Source: https://www.waa.ca/media/news/articl...uarter-of-2019

Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 3:03 PM

With all these sun destinations being added lately, and some to places that don't anecdotally seem overly popular from Winnipeg (Florida), I'm still surprised we don't have direct to LA. I heard rumblings EDW is trying to work with WAA on getting someone to test LA direct from here, hope it comes to fruition.

Not having a direct flight to LA is really holding back a lot of silicon valley/VC money from coming here, and hurting the tech industry here a bit. As well, with Hollywood productions booming here, it is desperately needed. I was told by industry people here that all our local film crews are tapped out and booked for 2+ years, to the point where the city is having to turn down films as there's no production capacity here. Having better access to LA would help this industry as well.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
With all these sun destinations being added lately, and some to places that don't anecdotally seem overly popular from Winnipeg (Florida), I'm still surprised we don't have direct to LA. I heard rumblings EDW is trying to work with WAA on getting someone to test LA direct from here, hope it comes to fruition.

Not having a direct flight to LA is really holding back a lot of silicon valley/VC money from coming here, and hurting the tech industry here a bit. As well, with Hollywood productions booming here, it is desperately needed. I was told by industry people here that all our local film crews are tapped out and booked for 2+ years, to the point where the city is having to turn down films as there's no production capacity here. Having better access to LA would help this industry as well.
Wouldn’t a direct flight to Bay Area / San Fran be better for Silicon Valley stuff as opposed to LAX?

Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
Wouldn’t a direct flight to Bay Area / San Fran be better for Silicon Valley stuff as opposed to LAX?
For the tech-specific reason, yes probably. However in terms of feasibility and making the most of a route, LAX probably makes the most sense as you'd get a lot more tourism use out of it.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 1:49 AM

Quote:
With all these sun destinations being added lately, and some to places that don't anecdotally seem overly popular from Winnipeg (Florida), I'm still surprised we don't have direct to LA.
?

Orlando-Winnipeg alone is a larger market than LAX-YWG. I haven’t even added FLL, TPA or MIA numbers. Suffice it to say YWG-Florida is a very popular market, which is why westjet, Sunwing (and soon Swoop) serve the market.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 2:03 AM

Flair had horrible numbers from here to Florida, as western Canadians tend to go to AZ/CA over FL

Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 12:35 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Flair had horrible numbers from here to Florida, as western Canadians tend to go to AZ/CA over FL
I thought it was evenly split, at least in Winnipeg's case. I could see places like Alberta and BC definitely being more AZ/CA bound.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 7:54 PM

Quote:
disney world doesn't offer coupons

Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 10:08 PM

Quote:
An airline that abandoned all US flights from all it's Canadian bases isn't a good measure of demand between YWG and Florida. WS and WG are much better metrics to gauge demand.

The problem with LAX is gate space. Plenty of runway capacity, not enough gates. That plays against anyone launching YWG-LAX. Look at AC on YYZ-LAX. There is a reason they use widebodies on the route.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 10:12 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
I thought it was evenly split, at least in Winnipeg's case. I could see places like Alberta and BC definitely being more AZ/CA bound.
I think it is very close to being split, with maybe a bit more going to the SW, but not by much. There are many Manitobans that holiday and own holiday homes in Florida; I have cousins from Westman that do as well. Sask and points west is really where you find the majority of folks going to the SW US.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 3:56 AM

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 2:38 PM
There is always a way

^ man wouldn't it be great to see those as scheduled service?
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 3:14 PM

Was that for the basketball World Cup?

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 4:05 PM

If I remember, that was here for a month because of a maintenance issue.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 11:39 PM
BANNED

Its unfortunate we get excited about things like this when they mean nothing to us at all in terms of the overall betterment of our airport.

Last edited by Pinus; Aug 17, 2019 at 11:35 AM.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2019, 11:38 AM
BANNED

Just noticed that AC axed our Montego Bay non-stop flight. Another withdrawal from the market despite the continued passenger growth, all to bolster another airport's number for their beloved hub-and-spoke models.

I've noticed that one or two posters here mock the Edmonton formers for complaining about Calgary getting the expanded non-stop routes or having their routes taken away and funnelled through Calgary. But honestly, they have every right to complain and campaign for better service. We should be taking a page from their book. The more competition we have from competitor airlines to serve the growing Winnipeg market for non-stop flights, specifically international routes, the better. If our civic and provincial leaders don't start making waves to at least make an effort to lobby for better connectivity beyond the Canadian market, then we will forever be stuck with fourth class service and treated as a remote outpost. To some of you, that may be perfectly acceptable. But to many of us, we know we can do better than how we are treated.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2019, 3:12 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
Just noticed that AC axed our Montego Bay non-stop flight. Another withdrawal from the market despite the continued passenger growth, all to bolster another airport's number for their beloved hub-and-spoke models.

How dare they run their company to make money.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan