HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 21, 2023, 1:11 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
But there are potash mines 1-2 miles from the MB border. I would think there should be viable mine locations inside MB, but what do I know.
I have a solution to make Manitoba more money.

"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jun 21, 2023, 3:15 PM

St.Pierre in Southern MB has $25mil rec centre planned
https://steinbachonline.com/articles...reation-centre

Old Posted Jun 21, 2023, 4:20 PM

Chicken Chef opening in La Salle

Old Posted Jun 21, 2023, 4:54 PM

Quote:
The potash mine. Its a thing where they pump hot liquid underground to produce a solution and suck it back to the surface. No where near what the conventional mines are in Saskatchewan.

But there are potash mines 1-2 miles from the MB border. I would think there ahould be viable mine locations inside MB, but what do I know.

What is the location of the mine in MB?
Some of those potash mines are so close that we could side mine into them, like what Kuwait did to the Iraqi oil field that prompted Iraq to invade Kuwait in 1990!

Old Posted Jun 21, 2023, 6:54 PM

Quote:

What is the location of the mine in MB?
Harrowby - Right on the Sask Border close to Highway 16.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2023, 7:09 PM

Not sure where the mine is specifically, but the town of Harrowby is 3.5 km from the border according to Google Maps. Can't get much closer.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2023, 10:50 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

could see the nickel mine reopen in lynn lake. the ausi outfit that has been working it has hired stantec to do the enviromental assemnt i see

https://stockhead.com.au/resources/c...e-nickel-mine/

Old Posted Jun 23, 2023, 9:18 PM

From CBC website today, on the proposed silica mining project:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...port-1.6886542

Well, the project isn't dead, and environmental concerns are being addressed. Personally I don't think this is too bad a decision. It confirms there's merit in the idea, but doesn't just accept the company line that everything will be okey dokey.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Jun 27, 2023, 6:21 PM

MORE THAN 300 INTERNATIONALLY EDUCATED HEALTH-CARE PROFESSIONALS ACCEPTING MANITOBA JOB OFFERS
– – –
Close Community Ties with the Philippines make Manitoba Chosen Destination for Skilled Health-care Professionals: Gordon, Reyes

The Manitoba government looks forward to welcoming hundreds of qualified internationally educated health-care professionals after nearly 90 per cent of candidates offered jobs during a recent recruitment mission to the Philippines accepted positions across the province. Candidates are now one step closer to their dream of living and working in Manitoba communities, Health Minister Audrey Gordon and Labour and Immigration Minister Jon Reyes announced today.

“More than 300 internationally educated health-care professionals have now accepted job offers to work as registered nurses, licensed practical nurses, or health-care aides in communities located right across our province,” said Gordon. “Our government is committed to healing our health-care system and building our health human resource capacity, so that more patients have access to the care they need.”

Shared Health has provided letters of interest to 348 candidates who passed interviews in the cities of Manila, Cebu or Iloilo during a recruitment mission to the Philippines in February. More than 300 candidates have now accepted job offers in Manitoba. This extremely high success rate reflects effective planning and co-ordination of this focused recruitment mission, Gordon noted.

Candidates who have accepted an offer have begun immigration and licensing processes and are expected to complete specific requirements in the coming months to allow for employment in Manitoba’s health-care system. Individuals are expected to begin arriving in Manitoba as early as late this summer, with arrivals increasing in fall, Gordon noted.

“The desire amongst Filipino health-care workers to live and work in Manitoba remains high,” said Labour and Immigration Minister Jon Reyes. “The connections between Manitoba’s local Filipino community and those who remain in the Philippines cannot be overstated. Manitoba is known as an extremely welcoming and friendly province, a place where dreams and success can be achieved through determination and hard work, and a community where the contributions of health-care workers are valued. We look forward to giving them a warm welcome when they arrive in our province.”

The Manitoba government has provided $100,000 in funding for a group of University of Manitoba nursing faculty assessors to travel to Manila to complete in-person clinical competency assessments in early July, Gordon added. More than 20 internationally educated nurses have confirmed participation and will be assessed for nursing knowledge and practice during this session.

Work continues on the development of a virtual clinical competence assessment, led by the University of Manitoba faculty of nursing, recognized as a leader in this field, Gordon noted. A memorandum of understanding between the faculty and World Citi Colleges, a leading educational institution with locations across the Philippines, will further work on expanding access to virtual assessment for future rounds of applicants.

“Leading up to the arrival of these new registered nurses, licensed practical nurses and health-care aides, we are focused on ensuring a smooth arrival with travel and accommodation arranged for them, orientation and mentorship to their future work location, and settlement services in the community that they will soon call home,” said Monika Warren, chief nursing officer, Shared Health. “Candidates have been assessed for skills and experience as well as any existing connections to a Manitoba community before being offered a role in a specific location.”

Shared Health has also issued a request for proposals from interested proponents to assist in finding safe, affordable permanent or rental housing for incoming staff in communities throughout the province.

“My journey as an internationally educated nurse in Manitoba has been incredible and I am proud and grateful for what my family and I have achieved and contributed to the community here in Canada,” said Ken Borce, chief of clinical operations, CancerCare Manitoba and an internationally trained health-care professional. “Throughout my career, I have believed in doing my ordinary duties extraordinarily well with not only competence but also compassion and commitment. This mindset, in a province of countless opportunities, creates an ideal environment for success.”

Old Posted Jun 27, 2023, 7:31 PM

^ What's the net gain when you take away losses due to retirement/exhaustion? If it's substantial, then hurrah for this program, but what's the big picture?

Old Posted Jun 27, 2023, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
^ What's the net gain when you take away losses due to retirement/exhaustion? If it's substantial, then hurrah for this program, but what's the big picture?
Also, there's the looting of the healthcare system of a developing nation. You can blame Duterte and now BBM for creating the conditions that would lead nurses to want to leave, but I still wonder about this.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2023, 12:52 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Hmm
Hopefully they are better run then canickel

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...toba-1.6897808

Chinese owner of Manitoba mine wants to drain lake to extract more cesium from one of world's few deposits

Federal government may scrutinize Chinese mine near Nopiming park amid rising tensions

Bartley Kives · CBC News · Posted: Jul 06, 2023 5:00 AM CDT | Last Updated: July 6

The Chinese owner of the Tanco mine in eastern Manitoba has revived talk of partly draining a lake in order to extract more cesium from one of the world's few deposits of the critical mineral.

Sinomine Resource Group is musing about a long-term redevelopment of its mine it purchased in 2019 along the shore of Bernic Lake, a small Canadian Shield body of water located between Whiteshell and Nopiming provincial parks.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2023, 2:45 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

this sucks

Old Posted Jul 14, 2023, 12:47 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Manitoba
Hudbay plans return to Flin Flon area for mineral exploration 1 year after its 777 mine shut down
Social Sharing
Exploration deal with Japanese company leaves provisions for possible future partnerships
CBC News · Posted: Jul 13, 2023 2:31 PM CDT | Last Updated: July 13

A mining company that spent 18 years drilling in Flin Flon is working with a Japanese company to do more mineral exploration in and around the western Manitoba city.

Hudbay Minerals is working with an investment firm called Marubeni to start a multi-year exploration partnership to focus on new deposits in the area, it said in a news release on July 6.

The partnership could allow the company to revive the dormant 777 mine, which shuttered in 2022 after 18 years, said Peter Kukielski, Hudbay's president and CEO.

He believes there's a bright future for mining in the region.

Under the terms of the partnership, Marubeni will pay between $10 million and $15 million of the exploration costs, and Hudbay will carry out the exploration activities.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...toba-1.6905709

Old Posted Jul 14, 2023, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
Harrowby - Right on the Sask Border close to Highway 16.
The Potash deposit barely makes it over the border and then runs all the way to Alberta. Whoever drew the rectangle that is Saskatchewan must have known something.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2023, 2:27 AM

Missing a few mines off your map. BHP near Leroy, K&S near Bethune, one of the ones near Rocanville, and one near Esterhazy.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2023, 2:12 PM

Some encouraging mining news for Manitoba. There seems to be some real potential for the province to stake a very profitable place in future renewable energy industries.

From Martin Cash, WPG Free Press, July 19:

Good things happening in Manitoba mining
Two companies announce promising preliminary mineral exploration findings

The rule of thumb in the mining world is that about one in 1,000 mineral exploration projects hits a payload that is economically mineable.

In the past week and a half, two companies working in different parts of the province announced preliminary mineral exploration findings that are among the most promising in many years.

Last week, Callinex Mines Inc. announced a high-grade copper, zinc and gold resource near Flin Flon and on Tuesday, Grid Metal Corp. announced a high-grade lithium find north of Lac du Bonnet.

Both discoveries are officially classified as mineral “resources” at this stage, which means much more exploration and analysis is required before it could become a mineral “reserve”, which is the portion of the resource that could be economically mined.

But still, the Callinex resource is larger than the initial resource disclosures for some of the most successful mines in the province, including HudBay’s 777 and Lalor mines.

Max Porterfield, the CEO of Callinex, said, “In terms the stage we are at, our property at Pine Bay is larger than the initial resource disclosures from HudBay mines that grew into flagship mines in the Flin Flon area.”

Vancouver-based Callinex is planning on another $6 million worth of drilling on the project to be completed by the fall.

“We are steadfast to grow the size and scale of this property through an exploration campaign that has been ongoing since mid-March,” he said.

For some time, Grid Metal’s Donner Lake lithium project has shown signs of promise in the current global scramble to find lithium, a key component needed for the batteries that are to power the millions of electric vehicles that the auto manufacturers have said they plan to build very soon.

Grid Metals, based in Toronto, is already looking at extracting enough ore from the Donner Lake site to test bulk samples. To that end, it is about to apply for an advanced exploration permit to do the bulk test at Tanco Mines’ lithium concentrator, only about 35 kilometres south of Grid’s Donner Lake property.

It has also made an arrangement with 1911 Gold Corp., the company that owns the Bissett gold mine and processing operation (which is currently not operating), to convert the mill — that was built to process gold — to produce lithium concentrate. That mill is 85 kilometres away.

Robin Dunbar, the CEO of Grid Metals said, “The good thing is there is potential two place to process the lithium.”

The Tanco Mine, the only active lithium mine in Canada, is owned by a Chinese mining company. Officials from that company have expressed their interest in investing close to $1 billion to build a lithium hydroxide plant in Manitoba for the North American supply chain. That’s the processing required to convert lithium into the form required for battery manufacturers.

(Because of the Canadian government’s concerns about foreign ownership of critical minerals, Tanco’s Chinese owners have already been forced to sell their stake in another lithium exploration company.)

The developments are further evidence of a successful renewal of mineral exploration activity in the province over the last few years. Manitoba and Saskatchewan are the only jurisdictions in the country that have seen exploration increase each of the past three years with proposed expenditures of $163.8 million this year in Manitoba, up from $99.2 million in 2021.

A spokesperson from the department said it could be a record month for the province. Manitoba has never had two announcements of initial mine resources within a two-week period.

Jeff Wharton, minister of economic development, investment and trade, which includes the mining portfolio, said the developments mean potential economic development in both the north and southeastern portions of the province.

“Things are happening the mining sector for sure,” he said. “We obviously need to ensure we move forward in the new world we are in. This is a signal to folks that we are open for business.”

As busy as it is, Porterfield said the regulatory apparatus in Manitoba has been very responsive to Callinex’s various permitting applications.

Another encouraging element of both developments is that they are fully serviced by power and roadway infrastructure.

Porterfield said, “When there is a lack of infrastructure it’s hard to get people out there and it leads to very high upfront capital costs.”

In the backdrop of the closure of HudBay’s 777 Mine in Flin Flon, Porterfield said, “The policy-makers in Manitoba are aligned with ourselves and the community to get whatever we need to get permitted in a timely manner and done the right way so we can create the jobs we have always been looking to create.”

Speaking of HudBay, it too is aggressively engaged in exploration work in the province, as is Vale in the Thompson area.

HudBay is working with junior exploration companies and other types of joint ventures. It is even exploring outside its own large holdings

MaryAnn Mihychuk, the CEO of the Manitoba Prospectors and Developers Association, said, “This is something new for HudBay. It is very, very positive.”

“Our long-term vision was to have the next anchor mine for the community of Flin Flon with the keen understanding that the 777 mine would not last forever,” Porterfield said. “Now that we’re here we look forward to the future and to begin that process.”

martin.cash@freepress.mb.ca

Old Posted Jul 21, 2023, 12:01 AM

Old Posted Jul 21, 2023, 3:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kattiff View Post
Seems like pie in the sky to me. I’m not sure much is really happening, other than a vague agreement to study the idea. Also, wasn’t Port Nelson abandoned the first time around because it was found to be unsuitable? Why do people think it would work now, I wonder?

Old Posted Jul 21, 2023, 2:56 PM

What's wrong with the current deep water port in Churchill? It would seem simpler to build a road to Churchill then something new on the Nelson River.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan