HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 28, 2019, 11:44 AM
BANNED

Could Canada ever get its own conference within the NHL?

Despites the Nordiques having everything in gear for an nhl franchise it seems likely they'll never get one. The NHL has no interest in putting teams in Canada, would it make sense for Canada to get it's own conference within the NHL.

I.e. the same kind of split that exists in the CHL.

Have all Canadian teams play amongst themselves all season and during playoffs play against american teams.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2019, 12:56 PM

There already is a NHL thread

Old Posted Oct 28, 2019, 1:15 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

I am on the record as saying the Canadian NHL teams should split off from the NHL, take the Stanley Cup with them, and be joined by another 6-10 Canadian teams to form an all-Canadian CNHL.

But that will probably never happen and neither will this all-Canadian conference thing for a number of things.

For starters, many Canadian teams have rivalries with U.S. clubs that are bigger than with certain Canadian clubs. One can think of Montreal-Boston which is hockey's rivalry of rivalries IMO, and more generally both Toronto and Montreal have good cross-border rivalries dating back to the old Original Six and other more recent Canadian clubs also have cross-border rivalries.

There is also the question of travel budgets which would be much higher if Canadian teams mostly played against each other instead of U.S. clubs often not too far across the border.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2019, 1:29 PM
I am the law!

I agree. I'm Canadian however, our nations are too big and sprawly. I have a deeper connection to the continental Northeast than I do with anywhere on the West Coast. It just makes sense to share leagues with the US.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2019, 1:46 PM

They could make a Canadian division, not conference, right now if they wanted to. Divisions are currently 7 or 8 teams. With Seattle joining all the divisions will have 8 teams but they could still make 7 work or add a team like QC. It won't happen though because of travel and, as mentioned, Canadian teams have rivalries going with US teams so there's not much to gain. From a geographic standpoint Toronto and Buffalo should always be in the same division, would make no sense for them not to be.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2019, 3:28 PM

Hockey popularity is on the decline in Canada. Many reasons for this, Stanley Cup drought of 26 years ongoing, NHL treating Canada as a cash cow to be milked and just gives us scraps in return. Cost of attending games and having kids play the game is extravagant and seems to only be getting worse. Having a child play now is so expensive it is mostly for the elites who can afford similar to kids in golf or tennis at country clubs. The ease of access and inexpensiveness of soccer and basketball comparatively and lesser chances of serious concussions has made it a easy decision for parents of that sport to put their kids into. Culturally with Canada's immigrant populations growing and being from Asia and India there is very little connection to Hockey.

http://www.netnewsledger.com/2019/10...hockey-league/

Old Posted Oct 28, 2019, 6:34 PM

The only answer necessary to this question should be "no".

Old Posted Oct 28, 2019, 7:16 PM

Nope.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2019, 7:26 PM

No because the structure of North American sports doesn't really allow for the massive variance in market size, stadium capacity, tv audience, and ultimately revenue potential that exists in the tiered English football leagues for example.

How is Halifax or Victoria supposed to meet the salary cap that is based on the revenue generation of 30 teams in the largest metros on the continent? If you get rid of the salary cap do those cities want to essentially just be farm teams for those that are able and willing to spend freely?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada