HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
You don't have to drive everywhere.

Recently enough I was in Phoenix - the poster-child for a suburban style city. To get anywhere you had to get in the car and drive. Go to a restaurant? Drive. See a hockey game? Enjoy your 45-minute drive to Glendale. Even to do something in central Phoenix, you had to bloody drive there.
I know Phoenix well. Phoenix is the smallest big city I've ever been to. There are places that are just as car-oriented, unwalkable and sprawly like Houston and Atlanta, but those cities have big city aspirations. They have things like civic leadership, world class universities and symphony orchestras, influential newspapers and airports where you can fly to numerous international destinations.

Phoenix isn't really a city. It's a population centre.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 12:39 AM

Re: Toronto and Montreal,

Several things contribute to Montreal feeling smaller than Toronto, even given that it is a very important, vibrant and unique city in North America, and also a city with a more solid residential fabric than Toronto.

The first is that Toronto kind of stumbles upon urban monumentality by accident. I'm not talking about the Washington DC/City Beautiful kind of monumentality, but just having well-placed view termini, or streets where the buildings match up with the pace and width of the street. Spadina Avenue is excellent for this, and Montreal doesn't have anything like it. Spadina isn't even really in the traditional heart of downtown Toronto.

Saint Laurent and Saint Denis are good streets, but think how much better they would be if you would look south and there were 50 storey towers looming in the distance near the Port? This is basically Toronto on every major north-south and east-west street. Sometimes in both directions.

Also, Montreal is lacking secondary urban centres that could provide an anchor for development and life, as well as a distant view terminus. Toronto has a few: North York Centre, Yonge and Eglinton, and a few that are under construction or in planning - like the former Honest Ed's lands and the Galleria mall. It's kind of weird to step out of Jean-Talon metro - which is a crossing of two major lines - and be confronted with kind of a low-slung commercial environment.

That said, I enjoy Montreal immensely. I think Montreal could learn from Toronto in terms of how to creatively use private space, and Toronto could learn from Montreal in terms of how to use public space.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 1:41 AM
recession proof

Stylish attractive people make a city feel large.
Winner: Montreal
Vancouver in 2nd place.
Toronto feels like an overcrowded outhouse.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 3:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
Any project listed on IMDb, no matter how insignificant or low budget, counts as a listing. Under the industry metric of billions of dollars spent, Vancouver is number one in Canada and third in North America.

It will be interesting to see the Vancouver numbers for 2019 come in, as this year has been and continues to be even crazier than last year. A day hardly goes by now without another announcement of a new Netflix or Disney or some other major US network show or Hollywood movie. I have heard projections of well over $4 billion.
almsot every drug commercial i see on CNN seems to be filmed in Vancouver.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 3:58 AM

^^^ and every car commercial.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 3:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
There's so much to pick apart in this post, I barely know where to begin.

I've been to Seattle and Montreal, and you obviously see things differently, but Seattle isn't even close to the same urbaneness as Montreal. It's not even close to Vancouver. Not only is the dt peninsula way more populated than dt Seattle, the surrounding neighbourhoods are too. And everything shuts down at 10 pm? C'mon, at least try and pretend you're being objective.
I kind of get it, When I've gone to Seattle I have felt like I am in a "real" city. Their downtown feels more spread out. Whereas Vancouver though it is getting away from it, feels like Robson Street and Granville Street are the only lively parts worth checking out. Georgia Street is getting better but it doesn't feel like there is anything to stop for as you walk down it, same with Burrard, its pretty dead at night once the office workers leave. Not much to walk down there for. The Movie theatre has really helped bring some people to that part of town, it used to be so dead.

What Vancouver is good for is neighbourhoods and areas but it can feel a bit limiting. I remember a joke in the west end years ago was why do I need to go to past granville street? Yaletown hadn't taken off, but it is a much better area now, the Canada line has really had a great impact for the area, lots more pedestrian action well into the night.

All that said I think Coal Harbour area has really improved, I was surprised how pedestrian it is now, I am talking the areas around the retail, where the Shoppers Drug Mart, Urban Fare etc are, its quite busy with people just strolling not trying to get anywhere. I think whats going on with Davie Street towards Denman is finally getting to be more interesting.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 4:07 AM

I think a lot of pedestrian action makes a city feel big. I watched this yesterday and I walked the same street when I was there, it was pretty busy day and night, lots of interesting little places to grab a bite. Melbourne felt quite like the retail was quite spread out, not so concentrated as it feels in Vancouver for instance. You will notice they have a lot of the same places you will find in Vancouver like GongCha, Happy Lemon etc. Street after street packed with shops.

Video Link

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 4:12 AM
Rational urbanist

I was gonna say people on streets, but Victoria's streets are busier than Winnipeg, and Winnipeg still feels bigger as a result of its tall office buildings and big roads downtown.

Might have to think more about this on the bus tomorrow.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 5:29 AM

This is obviously a subjective question with no real answers, so many variables. How did you enter / get around a city? If primarily by car then Seattle will definitely feel much larger than Vancouver. If by transit / train then I would say the experience flips.

What type of people did you hang out with? What are you interests? What activities did you do?

So many factors. From the perspective of the central business district, Seattle kills, from that of the waterfront, Vancouver kills. Based off of the primary skyline, Seattle looks huge and Vancouver lacks, when viewing al of the suburban skyline clusters Vancouver destroys and looks massive.

Both cities have impressive ports and major bridge structures that for me are lacking in many other cities (such as Denver, Calgary, Edmonton) that really adds to a city’s perceived size IMO.

The there is retail, spread out vs. concentrated, etc...

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 5:29 AM
perhaps . . .

Isn't it odd that most people only have one (or very few) kinds of city in mind when considering this question. I have always found cities to feel very large, large, or small - all for a wide range of experiences/qualities. And, very roughly, they tend to line up according to population.

Even if we limit it to physical built structure, LA feels very big, as does Houston, but also the obvious London, Paris, New York. Phoenix can feel massive when driving around it's endless expanse until you see the core skyline. The reaction is 'wow, that's barely bigger than Regina's.' Tiny city core, but Phoenix still feels large.

In other terms, crowds feel like a big city quality. LA has limited crowds, save for in cars on freeways. It still feels very big. Vancouver has become shockingly crowded with people in the central areas (Lonsdale-Dtn-Broadway). When I returned after a year plus in Vienna/Zurich, where crowds are huge in some parts, Vancouver didn't seem less crowded, just differently crowded, more spread out. Vancouver streets have people all over in the core, even past midnight there are people out, along the parks, seawall, west end, Yaletown, and so on. There are a lot of chains but there are tons of unique restaurants, bars, galleries, Dance Centre, Cinemateque, Film Society Cinema, Van Film School, two universities, two stadia, Van Playhouse, subway stations, Cruise terminal&ships, seaplane terminal, heliport, high end fashion retail zone, hipster gastown, design and furniture shops of Yaletown, Churches, VAG, 3 community centres, Orpheum, Commodore Ballroom, and a hunderd thousand residents, and on I could go. To say its empty and closed after ten is ridiculous. How could I compare it to cities like Vienna (similar populations)? Vienna: fewer good restaurants, more cultural features, different architecture, bigger? No, different. And contrary to the stereotype, even within the ring, Vienna can have huge crowds on the core pedestrian malls, but turn two corners and you can sit and have a coffee or meal at a shabby little outlet beside a train overpass in a vacant little rundown square: an awesome quality. Bigger? In some ways, in others smaller. Overall? Just different - both feel big.

There are dozens of metrics beyond these. Bigness, for me, varies across numerous of them for each different city. City vs City analysis seems fruitless to me. Paris vs London, vs Istanbul: who's the biggest? In what? Overall? Who cares. Any city over 1 million feels big. Vancouver size feels bigger, Montreal size: a bit bigger, Toronto size: very big, LA size: bigger again, New York, bigger again, Tokyo: flippen huge. And all for a variety of different reasons.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 11:18 AM
恭喜发财!

For me, it's how many people are on the streets, and how many streets people are on that makes a city feel big, as does the extensiveness of that city's rail network (i.e. how far you can go / how many places you can get to without a car). Tall buildings aren't essential to making a city feel big to me - Paris, for example, has relatively few tall buildings but it feels huge due to the criteria I mentioned.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 1:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
^^^ and every car commercial.
Toss up between Toronto and Vancouver. I've even seen a few where both were in the same ad.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
Stylish attractive people make a city feel large.
Winner: Montreal
Vancouver in 2nd place.
Toronto feels like an overcrowded outhouse.
DT Toronto is incredibly overcrowded with glass boxes, however it does have nice areas like UofT and a lot of the older neighbourhoods. However I like DT and prefer it to dreck like Scarborough and Etobicoke.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
Toss up between Toronto and Vancouver. I've even seen a few where both were in the same ad.
I've seen a couple ads shot in Montreal as of late.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 3:13 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
Never noticed Vancouver standing out that much in car ads. I notice both Toronto and Montreal in a lot of them. Many also seem to have the "anonymous American city" as their location. Which I guess could be Vancouver in some cases - or the other two as well. (BTW I am quite familiar with Vancouver, so that's not why I am not noticing it.

Some of the "wilderness" auto ads are probably filmed in BC of course.

Though a lot of the pickup truck ads seem to be filmed in scenery that's reminiscent of places like Alberta or Wyoming.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 3:21 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevanford1 View Post
I've seen a couple ads shot in Montreal as of late.
I've seen a car ad on an Canadian anglophone station that has a bunch of young people getting out a car and behind them you can vaguely make out a sign that says "DÉPANNEUR".

And of course there is this ad which aired on both francophone and anglophone stations recently. There aren't any obvious cues to the filming location, but evidently it's the work of a Montreal ad agency. I doubt many Toronto ad peeps are familiar with the 60s song "Aline" by Christophe. Which is actually from France, not Quebec. Though yes it was a hit in Quebec back in the day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STOSUtlGN9c

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 3:25 PM

They were filming a TV car ad on Queen St in DTK this past weekend - for showing in Europe.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I've seen a car ad on an Canadian anglophone station that has a bunch of young people getting out a car and behind them you can vaguely make out a sign that says "DÉPANNEUR".
I'm sure a lot of ads get dubbed for use in both Francophone and Anglophone markets.

You'd see this in credit card ads where the name on the card on the ad was always something 'parfaitement bilingue' like Paul Martin.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 3:36 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I'm sure a lot of ads get dubbed for use in both Francophone and Anglophone markets.

You'd see this in credit card ads where the name on the card on the ad was always something 'parfaitement bilingue' like Paul Martin.
CHARLES RAYMOND is also a good one!

I think they often do this for any ads where you don't see characters actually speaking.

Technology today also allows them to alter what you see on screen, often un-noticeably. For example in a real live action ad or movie you can change the word on a stop sign to say ARRÊT instead of STOP.

It's even easier in animation and while I'm past the kiddie movie stages, I remember seeing certain movies (even Disney, Pixar, etc. ones) where the characters walk down the street and the names of the shops are in French as opposed to English: BOULANGERIE, CORDONNIER, etc.

On Quebec TV you also do sometimes see ads where the (anglophone) actors' voices are dubbed by francophone actors. These ads are seen as less effective as you're seen as cheapening out and not respecting the market. It is what it is.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 3:54 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
I know Phoenix well. Phoenix is the smallest big city I've ever been to. There are places that are just as car-oriented, unwalkable and sprawly like Houston and Atlanta, but those cities have big city aspirations. They have things like civic leadership, world class universities and symphony orchestras, influential newspapers and airports where you can fly to numerous international destinations.

Phoenix isn't really a city. It's a population centre.
Phoenix has all of that and then some.....not sure why you think any of that. But yes, unwalkable and sprawly exponentially. We treat Phoenix as a 2nd home....well Scottsdale.....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada