HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 10, 2021, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horrorbro123 View Post
Well Burger King Is Coming To Polo Festival
interesting, will be a hit for the area I'm sure. lunch places are packed all around here (I work nearby). along St. James or Empress?

Old Posted Aug 10, 2021, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldSmith View Post
You mean 99 Cent pizza?

This post describes my issues with it:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Winnipeg/co...charges_2_per/

Not sure if it is still open.
I guess it’s kinda like how slices pizza doesn’t sell pizza by the slice.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2021, 2:29 AM

Quote:
Compared to McDonalds, Burger King is under represented in Winnipeg.

I'm sure there are more locations that Burger King could go into if they really wanted to expand in both Winnipeg and Manitoba

Old Posted Aug 11, 2021, 3:39 AM

Quote:
I’m assuming it’s due to demand but man I really wish that we lessened or stopped the amount of American fast food chains in the city. Our local food is so good but when my buddies see a McDonalds nearby they would much rather go there. It’s not like the food is better it just has higher name recognition.

I hope one day this can be addressed in some manner because having a bunch of local joints near Polo or any mall imo would make it much livelier and have a higher cultural impact. Also would probably be better for the local economy.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2021, 6:49 PM

i was in Regina over the weekend and i saw quiet a few BK, not that I eat at them. I do love hitting up Carl Jr's when i'm there. yes I know USA chain, but they are yummy. many in AB but none here

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Santa Lucia is a chain and it is consistently voted the best pizza in Winnipeg every year.
Santa Lucia is not a chain. Yes they have multiple locations with that name but there is no common kitchen or supply chain so each place runs independently and is supposed to follow the same recipes but even something as small as changing the brand of cheese used can result is very different outcomes.

In terms of being "the best" pizza that is complete garbage to start with. "Best" according to who? Also it is important to keep in mind that it is a subjective thing. One of the reasons Santa Lucia is viewed so flavourable is more about its location that the quality of the food. Located in a prime spot just south of downtown, people leaving working heading home to the St Vital area drive right past there. It is an easy stop to grab a quick meal to take home to the family. Put that main location in a different spot in town the view on who is "best" likely changes too.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 3:38 PM

^ Santa Lucia is kind of like Marigold... they're loosely affiliated vs. a chain like Tim Hortons or McDonald's with rigorously consistent standards.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 3:51 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Santa Lucia has been around a long time, it was a favourite late night eatery of our crew in the 70s.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 5:20 PM

Owners of King + Bannatyne took over the former Black Bird space on Marion/Tache.

Marion side will be Nola
Tache side will be a second King + Bann location called The Second Spot

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
i was in Regina over the weekend and i saw quiet a few BK, not that I eat at them. I do love hitting up Carl Jr's when i'm there. yes I know USA chain, but they are yummy. many in AB but none here
I’ve been wanting a Carl’s JR to open here for years. I’m not sure what the hold up is. The same goes for chick fil a.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 7:05 PM

I always find it funny, when people in Winnipeg are always so quick to argue how we should only be eating at local restaurants with higher quality ingredients and crap on quick service restaurants in Winnipeg, but once those same people cross that border, they go straight to Culvers…let’s go to Culvers, wish they were in Winnipeg. Then once that said franchise opens in Winnipeg, the first thing they say is…it’s not the same, it tastes better in North Dakota…then they wish we had a different franchise restaurant instead, and the same cycle continues.

Exhausting.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2021, 4:24 PM

Not sure if mentioned but Captains Boil on Pembina appears to be gone. Same strip mall lot as the old Applebee's which continues to sit empty.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2021, 5:52 PM

The ice cream shop at Golf Central on Plessis has closed. The driving range is still open. All references to the ice cream shop have been removed from the website. I really liked the ice cream and their portions were very generous.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2021, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpgstvsouth94 View Post
I’ve been wanting a Carl’s JR to open here for years. I’m not sure what the hold up is. The same goes for chick fil a.
If there is one restaurant with a worse corporate culture than Stella's it has to be Chick Fil A. Being openly opposed to LGBTQ rights, interfering in women's right to access birth control and otherwise attempting to assert their traditional Christian family values over their staff and customers is something I sincerely hope never comes to Winnipeg.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2021, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unknown Poster View Post
Not sure if mentioned but Captains Boil on Pembina appears to be gone. Same strip mall lot as the old Applebee's which continues to sit empty.
Captains Boil reportedly moved to Stafford in the retail complex at the corner of Taylor.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2021, 1:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Captains Boil reportedly moved to Stafford in the retail complex at the corner of Taylor.
Funny the digital sign still advertised Captain's Boil

Old Posted Aug 18, 2021, 4:37 AM

Chik Fil A opened on London, England in 2019 and last 6 months before shutting down due to constant protests and boycotts. They are about to open their third location in Canada this week. Will give them locations in Toronto, Kitchener, and North York. We’ll see how they fair here.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2021, 5:29 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Red face

Sals @ HSC closed for good. When did this happen?

Supposed to be another somehinh else ti take its place.

Had a Burrito at HSC Cafeteria Tues, Best I've tasted so far (had Taco Time, Taco Bell, and one at Northgate). They put spicy peppers in 'em.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2021, 5:33 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Compared to McDonalds, Burger King is under represented in Winnipeg.

I'm sure there are more locations that Burger King could go into if they really wanted to expand in both Winnipeg and Manitoba
They should re-open in Ft. Garry. I used ro work at the Ft. Garry BK (1707 Pembina Hwy.) between March 1985 and January 1986. Its now a Napa Auto Parts store.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2021, 1:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
Sals @ HSC closed for good. When did this happen?

Supposed to be another somehinh else ti take its place.

Had a Burrito at HSC Cafeteria Tues, Best I've tasted so far (had Taco Time, Taco Bell, and one at Northgate). They put spicy peppers in 'em.
Probably another licensed location that the HSC food services was running. Either it was not making enough money or Sals wanted an increase in the fee to use their name and HSC management said no.

I have not been in HSC for a while but last time I was in there it was different to see the Tim Horton's counter staff in the HSC food services uniforms/hairnets and not the standard Tim Hortons ones.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan