HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 2:58 PM

looks like they're finally widening the disaster section of sidewalk between Assiniboine Ave. @ Main crosswalk south to the Forks underpass.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
True, St Matthew’s is the preferred route from the city’s perspective, but aside from painted lines on the road and a few curb bump-outs, it’s not a safe or well designed bike route, and the traffic is fairly heavy. Wellington is actually a better route with less traffic. Last year it was partially closed to vehicular traffic on weekends. Plus it gets me where I need to go and I can more easily connect to the McDermott bike lane at HSC. Much better than St Matthew’s.
I thought you meant wellington crescent at first, and was going to say that is way too far out of the way. But even wellington ave is out of the way compared to St Matthews for trips a lot of people are going to take. More workable routes is always better. So if wellington is a good route _without_ being the city's preferred, then it's good that St Matthews at least gets paint. Hopefully they'll improve it in coming years.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2022, 2:11 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalf View Post
In honour of Bike Week, I present to you the punji sticks in the Bannatyne bike lane. Don't slip!

Wow, who ever would have thought trying to clean snow throughout Winnipeg winters would ever damage the poorly thought out bike infrastructure! And why do the bike lanes need to be a car width wide for bikes that are one foot wide!?

Old Posted Jun 9, 2022, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
why do the bike lanes need to be a car width wide for bikes that are one foot wide!?
Two-way traffic and passing, perhaps?

Old Posted Jun 10, 2022, 12:03 AM

Passing, but it's not supposed to be two-way. Maybe it should be, though. The real reason is that if you take a three-lane motor-only road, and give half a lane to cyclists, then the cyclists get half a lane and the motorists get two lanes. If you give a full lane to the cyclists, they get twice as much space for comfort, passing, and hazard avoidance, but the motorist still get the same two lanes as if the cycle lane had been narrower.

Last edited by zalf; Jun 10, 2022 at 1:31 AM. Reason: de-stupid the grammar

Old Posted Jun 10, 2022, 1:30 PM

Sorry to ask. But for the life of me, can't seem to find any definite route on a map! Plan on biking to the Bomber game this evening. First, what is the best/easiest route from downtown? Can I trust what Google says? Is there a link to an updated bike map? Second, does anyone know if the free valet bike parking at the stadium fills ups, thus requiring parking/locking the bike in an unsecured area instead?

Thanks!

Old Posted Jun 10, 2022, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAFS View Post
Sorry to ask. But for the life of me, can't seem to find any definite route on a map! Plan on biking to the Bomber game this evening. First, what is the best/easiest route from downtown? Can I trust what Google says? Is there a link to an updated bike map? Second, does anyone know if the free valet bike parking at the stadium fills ups, thus requiring parking/locking the bike in an unsecured area instead?

Thanks!
Forks -> Cross the bridge with the wooden boards to Niizhoziibean -> Stradbrook & Donald sidewalk (it's considered a bike path by the city) to Confusion Corner -> Under bridge (I'd walk it through) -> Join the Southwest Transitway AT path at Brandon -> Follow to U of M

Or from Osborne Village:
McMillan -> Harrow Sharrow -> Southwest Transitway AT -> U of M

Old Posted Jun 10, 2022, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
looks like they're finally widening the disaster section of sidewalk between Assiniboine Ave. @ Main crosswalk south to the Forks underpass.
Is that what it is? I was wondering if it was redoing the street to accommodate an RT lane:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...lans-1.5759592

Old Posted Jun 10, 2022, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Oh, is this about the section that goes through the bus stop so bikes and pedestrians and people waiting for the bus have a combined 1m of space? VERY sorely needed. To get in place to cross main to the MUP is a big pain for all cyclists.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2022, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalf View Post
Forks -> Cross the bridge with the wooden boards to Niizhoziibean -> Stradbrook & Donald sidewalk (it's considered a bike path by the city) to Confusion Corner -> Under bridge (I'd walk it through) -> Join the Southwest Transitway AT path at Brandon -> Follow to U of M

Or from Osborne Village:
McMillan -> Harrow Sharrow -> Southwest Transitway AT -> U of M
The Harrow Sharrow (especially at rush hour) gets my vote for the Least Infrastructury Infrastructure Award. Honestly, what makes that a bike lane? The little roundabouts?

Old Posted Jun 10, 2022, 2:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
Is that what it is? I was wondering if it was redoing the street to accommodate an RT lane:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...lans-1.5759592
Don't think so. There would have been a few press releases about it and everyone from the suburbs that goes downtown twice-a-year-tops would have bitched about it by now.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2022, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAFS View Post

Thanks!
Great idea! Biking to IG Field is hands down my favourite way to get to Bomber games... and I am definitely not an intrepid cyclist, most of my cycling is just around the neighbourhood for fun. You get in and out of the stadium so fast.

In terms of the best route from downtown I will leave that to the others, although the transitway's AT route will let you avoid heavy Pembina game traffic.

As for the bike valet, I have never seen it fill up. They have an immense capacity for bikes and it has been enlarged as the popularity of this method grows. I have seen some people just locking bikes up to fences and posts around the stadium, I'm assuming to allow them to get in and out quickly (you have to wait in a short line after the game to get your bike). But that's optional, you certainly don't have to do it that way.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2022, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
The Harrow Sharrow (especially at rush hour) gets my vote for the Least Infrastructury Infrastructure Award. Honestly, what makes that a bike lane? The little roundabouts?
When your city is broke, a can of paint becomes infrastructure.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2022, 2:26 PM
surely you agree with me

It's interesting to me that thousands of people love the idea of riding their bike to bomber games but wouldn't think of using their bike for other trips like wor or the store. Why doesn't it translate?

Old Posted Jun 10, 2022, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
It's interesting to me that thousands of people love the idea of riding their bike to bomber games but wouldn't think of using their bike for other trips like wor or the store. Why doesn't it translate?
I think the appeal boils down to this:

-IG Field is well served by AT paths to make it easy even for people who aren't regular cycle commuters to go down there
-There is major traffic congestion after games which gives cycling a real advantage - I get home much faster by bike to the point where I hate driving to football games and do my best to avoid it

and the big one

-There is an excellent bike valet service which makes the process of parking your bike simple and you can come back after the game with complete confidence that your bike will still be there, which is rare for this city unless you are going to a home or workplace with secure bike lockers

Old Posted Jun 10, 2022, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I think the appeal boils down to this:

-IG Field is well served by AT paths to make it easy even for people who aren't regular cycle commuters to go down there
-There is major traffic congestion after games which gives cycling a real advantage - I get home much faster by bike to the point where I hate driving to football games and do my best to avoid it

and the big one

-There is an excellent bike valet service which makes the process of parking your bike simple and you can come back after the game with complete confidence that your bike will still be there, which is rare for this city unless you are going to a home or workplace with secure bike lockers
Nailed it.

There's limited parking, none of which is free, and getting in and out of campus is a pain. So, it's inconvenient to drive, which is unusual in Winnipeg.

And there's a system that means your bike won't get stolen. Again, unusual in Winnipeg. (Even secure bike lockers are often cut into by thieves with power tools).

Old Posted Jun 10, 2022, 4:56 PM

^ Yes, limited parking that you have to pay for has to be another factor for sure.

It seems that cycling to Bomber games becomes more popular every year. It culminates each year at the Banjo Bowl where there will be thousands of bikes stored at the bike valet... looks like a scene out of Amsterdam or Copenhagen.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2022, 5:06 PM
surely you agree with me

I agree, those are the reasons people bike to bomber games, but i remember during the portage and main thing, all I heard all day long was how expensive and difficult it is to find parking and people regaled me every day with horror stories about being stuck in endless soul-crushing traffic trying to get in and out of downtown....yet taking a bike to work never entered the conversation....but for bomber games those same challenges are happily overcome with a bike.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2022, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
I agree, those are the reasons people bike to bomber games, but i remember during the portage and main thing, all I heard all day long was how expensive and difficult it is to find parking and people regaled me every day with horror stories about being stuck in endless soul-crushing traffic trying to get in and out of downtown....yet taking a bike to work never entered the conversation....but for bomber games those same challenges are happily overcome with a bike.
Things downtown is missing in that regard:

-convenient traffic separated AT routes (available from some areas but not all)
-lack of appropriate bike storage... the IG Field bike valet is as simple and reliable as it gets, plus it's free. Few people working downtown have anything as good available to them. Bike theft is a serious problem in Winnipeg so this has to be addressed for sure.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2022, 7:17 PM
surely you agree with me

I think most office buildings have bike parking these days, no? I just park mine on the sidewalk. Have never had a problem. Use a U-lock.

I’d definitely like more separated lanes but there’s certainly as many as heading to u of m for most people.

I personally think it’s just societal. People drive to work. That’s how it is.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan