HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 7:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedub1170 View Post
Ring Road is now a complete ring. It connects to the bypass at the Trans-Canada highway interchange and again at the 9th Ave N Interchange (although, there are 4 sets of lights starting a Lewvan)
Pasqua St, you mean. Lewvan ends at Sherwood Dr. Also Ring Rd turns into 9th Ave N west of Pasqua St. I know, not confusing at all.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
Pasqua St, you mean. Lewvan ends at Sherwood Dr. Also Ring Rd turns into 9th Ave N west of Pasqua St. I know, not confusing at all.
No worse than 1st Ave N intersecting with 7Ave N. Regina has never been known for being smart.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 8:15 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missinglink View Post
No worse than 1st Ave N intersecting with 7Ave N. Regina has never been known for being smart.
Or how about my favourite: Elphinstone St, which turns in Montague St, which turns into Argyle Rd. I live off of Argyle Rd and just love giving people directions coming from the north.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedub1170 View Post
Ring Road is now a complete ring. It connects to the bypass at the Trans-Canada highway interchange and again at the 9th Ave N Interchange (although, there are 4 sets of lights starting a Lewvan)
I think to be geometrically accurate and to avoid confusion we should call this "D Road".

Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 9:23 PM

It would seem to me the inner ring road west leg should be lewvan. Otherwise ya it's D road haha.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Not a chance. It's probably just an exit numbering scheme where the western start of the ring road is kilometre zero, and each separate ramp gets a different letter. So you have 0A, 0B, 0C, etc.
That sounds right but the vast majority of places start with Exit 1.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post

Edmonton has a full freeway ring, and a good one. Calgary still hasn't finished Stoney Trail and will need to negotiate with a First Nations band to finish it.
Those negotiations were finalized about five years ago and that segment of the 201 in Calgary has been under construction for a few years and will open 2021. The West leg was started earlier this year and will open in 2022. The S.W. leg is going to have some very impressive interchanges.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 10:06 PM

Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
I took another rip last night and the main through road southbound at TCH is still closed. WTF. You can still get to the south leg using the exit lane but there is a 60kph speed zone.
Is there an explanation why? That doesn't qualify as "fully open" at all.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappcam View Post
Is there an explanation why? That doesn't qualify as "fully open" at all.
Looked like they were working on guardrails or something.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robag View Post
Just an observation yesterday. I was driving on Vic east and then onto Ring Road south yesterday around noon. Very little semi's compared to before. I know it will not eliminate semi's completely, but I thought the traffic was flowing smoothly at lunch time compared to other days I've been in that area at that time of day.
We back directly onto Hwy1/Ring Road between Albert & Lewvan.

The drop in semi traffic (and associated noise) is huge. It's eerily quiet - similar volume of semi traffic to Christmas Day or during a major winter storm. Our kid's room faces Hwy1/Ring Road, and they've been having trouble falling to sleep - the constant drone of traffic & semis was apparently acting as white noise for them.

Obviously, semis still pass by, but I'd guess we've had 50-75% fewer since Tuesday. Light vehicle traffic seems about the same, which is what I would've expected.

Last edited by Drofmab; Nov 1, 2019 at 10:34 AM.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
I took another rip last night and the main through road southbound at TCH is still closed. WTF. You can still get to the south leg using the exit lane but there is a 60kph speed zone.
I drove Hwy 6-Armour, and then Armour to Ring Road on Wednesday. This closure of the purple section on this map was weird.

Because I was getting off at Hwy 1/Ring Road (eastbound), I didn't spend much time trying to figure out how to continue on the Bypass to Winnipeg... but it wasn't readily apparent how one would do this. I know it was possible (via the green section on this map) - but having no obvious signage indicating how Winnipeg-bound (or just Costco/White City-bound) traffic on Hwy 11 should detour past the closure seems like a major fail for a road declared "open" the day before.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 1:08 PM

Quote:
Or how about my favourite: Elphinstone St, which turns in Montague St, which turns into Argyle Rd. I live off of Argyle Rd and just love giving people directions coming from the north.
Technically it also turns into Retallack south of 25th Ave, as well.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drofmab View Post
I drove Hwy 6-Armour, and then Armour to Ring Road on Wednesday. This closure of the purple section on this map was weird.

Because I was getting off at Hwy 1/Ring Road (eastbound), I didn't spend much time trying to figure out how to continue on the Bypass to Winnipeg... but it wasn't readily apparent how one would do this. I know it was possible (via the green section on this map) - but having no obvious signage indicating how Winnipeg-bound (or just Costco/White City-bound) traffic on Hwy 11 should detour past the closure seems like a major fail for a road declared "open" the day before.
Totally agree. The closure is bizarre and the signage terrible. Regina Bypass has offered no explanation, although some media said the tent for the ribbon cutting was on that stretch.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Woosh
You have a nice day too!

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 3:02 PM

Quote:
...- but having no obvious signage indicating how Winnipeg-bound (or just Costco/White City-bound) traffic on Hwy 11 should detour past the closure seems like a major fail for a road declared "open" the day before.
It was easy. Exit onto the collector lane as required. Drive down the collector lane. Don't exit. The collector lane re-merges onto the mainline Highway 1/11 at its end after crossing old Highway 1/Ring Road.

In any event, that bottleneck is now removed and all lanes are open, at least as of yesterday morning.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Not a chance. It's probably just an exit numbering scheme where the western start of the ring road is kilometre zero, and each separate ramp gets a different letter. So you have 0A, 0B, 0C, etc.
This is exactly what it is.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 3:49 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festivus View Post
Technically it also turns into Retallack south of 25th Ave, as well.
Lol, that's right!

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
It was easy. Exit onto the collector lane as required. Drive down the collector lane. Don't exit. The collector lane re-merges onto the mainline Highway 1/11 at its end after crossing old Highway 1/Ring Road.
I've looked at a map, and have no doubt that it was easy if you've studied the interchange map on the Bypass website/Twitter in advance.

However, if you hadn't studied this in advance: the only lanes signed as heading to Winnipeg were closed; there was no signage indicating an alternate route; and most GPS (other than Waze, apparently) don't have the Bypass yet.

Not to mention, it's a big interchange - so it's not readily apparent where each lane goes... making it difficult to know that this was a collector that would just merge back into the mainline after it crossed old Hwy 1/Ring.

I'm just saying that closing lanes on a major roadway without any detour/signage, and leaving it up to drivers to reroute themselves is not a best-practice. Does it happen? Sure - all the time... doesn't mean it's

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 10:22 PM

Quote:
I've looked at a map, and have no doubt that it was easy if you've studied the interchange map on the Bypass website/Twitter in advance.

However, if you hadn't studied this in advance: the only lanes signed as heading to Winnipeg were closed; there was no signage indicating an alternate route; and most GPS (other than Waze, apparently) don't have the Bypass yet.

Not to mention, it's a big interchange - so it's not readily apparent where each lane goes... making it difficult to know that this was a collector that would just merge back into the mainline after it crossed old Hwy 1/Ring.

I'm just saying that closing lanes on a major roadway without any detour/signage, and leaving it up to drivers to reroute themselves is not a best-practice. Does it happen? Sure - all the time... doesn't mean it's
Like I posted earlier I was totally confused the first time and just took the Ring Road home. After I looked at the interchange layout, it was fine. They were also still directing trucks to use Vic on the east side for a while. I assume they have this all fixed now. I am really interested to see how the maintenance compares to the City and Provincial roads.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan