HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 9:15 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

LOOK WHAT I FOUND!
http://biblos.hec.ca/biblio/memoires/m2019a612945.pdf
You guys should all recognize the student’s name.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
How does a thread for only VIA not exist?

So, with the new fractured government, with a goal of lowering our carbon footprint, do anything to make VIA be more appealing to more Canadians?

Could we see new routes in the West to appeal to them?
There are several threads for VIA Rail in he general Canada section. They are in order of creation:
The problem is VIA is considered too short a word for this forum to search for.

Could a moderator merge them and maybe make it sticky so that it is easier to find?

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 9:56 PM

This forum could really do with some upgrades to its architecture, especially the search function. It isn't 2005 anymore.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 9:58 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
This forum could really do with some upgrades to its architecture, especially the search function. It isn't 2005 anymore.
At least it more modern than VIA....

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 10:20 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
At least it more modern than VIA....
That's not saying much........

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 4:13 AM

Quote:
Mobile friendliness as well.

And yeah, this forum hasn’t changed at all since I joined in 2006. (Even many of the same users are still here, which is a good thing!)

Old Posted Feb 1, 2020, 5:04 PM

It took me a few days but I finally got caught up on this thread after finding it the other day and here are some of my thoughts.

I strongly agree that we should work towards re-instating a Calgary-Red Deer-Edmonton train, but it needs to be done right. You only have one chance for a first impression and we can't blow it. Before we can invest that kind of money into this project, we need to get the majority of Canada's population on board. That is where HFR comes in.

If you ask the average Canadian their thoughts of rail travel, while they might have some romantic feelings about it from the glory days, in general most believe it to be an antiquated mode of transport. You can't really blame them with half of VIA's fleet dating back to the 50's, a third from the 70's and the remainder used rust buckets bought from the UK that don't quite work with the rest of their infrastructure. The speed of the trains in the Corridor isn't bad (always room for improvement though), but the on time performance is abysmal and on most routes, it is too infrequent to be convenient (Toronto-Ottawa being an exception, but still isn't optimal).

The new fleet will help with VIA's image, but it won't do anything for the other issues. That is where HFR comes in. With dedicated tracks, VIA has complete control over their schedule and don't have to wait for freight trains.

Another important benefit of HFR is while currently there are 3 independent routes (Montreal-Ottawa, Montreal-Toronto and Ottawa-Toronto). Boosting frequency on any 1 of those routes will do nothing for the other 2. By having one Montreal-Ottawa-Toronto route, they all help each other. This way by using the about same amount of equipment (and labour) as the current 10 trains a day from Ottawa-Toronto, 6 trains from Montreal-Toronto and 5 trains from Montreal-Ottawa, they can have 16 trains a day on all three legs. That improvement in frequency alone will make the train much more popular.

Once almost half of the country's population sees how good trains can be, the electorate will be behind motions to improve rail service in other parts of the country. Currently, any opposition to rail service for Calgary would be more on the lines that "trains suck" than we don't want to support Calgary. By changing people's attitude about trains, it changes their desire to support it.

As for servicing smaller markets, I have seen a lot of "we need to do it to cut our GHG emissions" arguments. For those small markets, that argument doesn't hold water. Trains are big and heavy and as such are heavy emitters of GHG. Their saving grace is that they can carry a lot of people so if it is full (or close to it) the per person emissions are small, but if it is nearly empty, its per person emissions become very large. For small trains, using DMUs can help, but their emissions are still larger than that of a bus. If the train is empty enough, its per person emissions can be worse than a single occupant vehicle.

The other issue with longer distance rail travel is it isn't economically competitive with flying. While fuel costs are lower, both infrastructure and labour costs are higher. I won't get into infrastructure costs, but if you assume a train requires just as many employees (on a per passenger basis) as an airplane, but the train takes 4-6 time longer than flying, the labour costs end up being 4-6 times higher (assuming equal salaries). That extra cost becomes very significant in the cost of the ticket. If it is an overnight train, costs get even higher with rotating shifts and sleeper cars carry less than half the number of passengers as a coach, not only increasing infrastructure costs, but requiring more employees per passenger (each car needs a steward).

As much as I would love to see the return of rail travel all across the country, I am also realistic about where it is feasible and where it isn't

And before people jump to conclusions about my bias because of my location. I was born, raised and educated in BC and only moved to Ottawa after I graduated from University. I am very well aware of western alienation, but also now see that while there is a grain of truth to it, much of it is caused by sentimentalization by politicians and the media. Building a rail-line when the people are asking for a pipeline is like Marie-Antoinette saying "Let them eat cake" to her starving subjects (granted BC doesn't want the pipeline, which is the crux of the problem).

Old Posted Feb 1, 2020, 9:20 PM

I can’t believe that it took me until now to find this thread, but I see that I’ve been already rather present in this conversation, without even knowing about it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylmer View Post
I think that it's worth pointing out that the Canadian isn't really that much of a money loser. It's about on-par with the corridor routes on a cost recovery basis, and beats the system average by a healthy margin. Urban Sky compiled the numbers from 2017 (and I think 2018, but I can't find them anymore.
You can find the 2018 numbers here:

PS: I never developed the habit to save my tables locally and usually just search my posts on Urban Toronto. In this case it was the 12th hit when searching the keywords "Annual Report 2018" (without quotation marks) and "Urban Sky" as author...

Quote:
Yeah, I've learned a lot form Urban Sky, and I hope what I post is accurate. For $41M/year, I don't see any need to get rid of it, and it very well might bring in more money from overseas.
Glad to hear you find my contributions helpful and I can assure you I'm also learning from the ideas and concerns people post here! I fully agree about the Canadian and that its subsidy ($48 million in 2018) was well invested taxpayer money, but more about that in a separate post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Urban Sky on UrbanToronto: “ I believe Greg Gormick has a point when he keeps quoting a former CP CEO lamenting that the completion of the Trans-Canada Highway turned the launch of "The Canadian" in April 1955 (and its luxurious stainless steel fleet which serves VIA's name-sake reliably until this day) into the most costly mistake in its corporate history and prompted CP to pursue its total exit out of the passenger business. Nevertheless, if the Trans-Canada Highway continues to pose a barrier to make passenger rail viable (again), then this is a fact we need to accept sooner or later...”
https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread...21060/page-418 #6264
Thank you for reminding me that I'm not just criticizing Greg Gormick, like I recently did on Urban Toronto. By the way, he has a forthcoming book of which an excerpt deals with the last run of the Canadian on its old (CPR) route, but it doesn't mention this quote:
http://railpast.com/CRN/On%20Track/Canadian%20Adieu.pdf

Quote:
Go to Urban Toronto and ask Urban Sky this question, he'll let you know exactly why the Canadian runs the way it does.

I don't want to do a disservice by posting things that aren't accurate, but AFAIK the Canadian runs the way it does because VIA has a mandate both to run that tourist service, and run some mandatory services to remote communities. The single route it takes is the most efficient way of fulfilling both those roles.
I've indeed answered this question many times, but I'll try it again:

Why some routes are still served by VIA, whereas others aren't anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Yeah, the bottom line is the service levels are poor even in parts of the country like Southern Ontario which could support really good rail service. If you travel to other developed countries VIA starts to look pretty bad. To add insult to injury some of the routes that do exist are impractical, and there is little rhyme or reason to which places have service (a real example of a reason is probably something along the lines of whether an area voted for the Liberals or PCs in the early 90's).
First of all, if you want to see the same frequencies and travel speeds as on the Corridor (just with more modern equipment and less delays), I highly recommend Portugal (or Southeastern Europe):

However, to understand why VIA operates the network it operates, one needs to look at its mandate, as I've outlined on Urban Toronto:

Let's start with the October 1976 VIA timetable (i.e. the first timetable which combined CN and CP services under the VIA brand, which would soon become the Crown Corporation we know today and for which I happen to work):

Transcontinental Mandate

The most straight-forward mandate is the Transcontinental Mandate, as it is directly related to the Conferation Agreement of 1867, which mandated the federal government to ensure the construction and operation of a transcontinental railroad linking the already existing rail network in Upper and Lower Canada with basically all 10 provinces. This is why Tables 1 and 9-14 and 16-20 can be justified by VIA's transcontinental mandate:

So how did VIA get from 13 transcontinental services to only 2? First of all, the 13 tables above actually only refer to 6 separate services, of which CN had already switched 2 (those in Prince Edward Island and Newfoundland and Labrador) from passenger rail to bus service in 1969 (except for the short mixed train between Badger and Deer Lake, which was even extended in 1979 on both sides - to Bishops Falls and Corner Brook - and somehow survived until 1988) and both provinces have since then accepted federal funds in return for allowing the federal government to terminate its commitment towards them and signed off the removal of all tracks.

This leaves 4 services (Ocean, Atlantic, Super-Continental and Canadian), of which 2 survive until today: the Ocean and the Canadian (though with the latter using the historic route of the Super-Continental).

But how did we get from these 4 full-scale transcontinental services to only 2? First, the overlapping branches of the Canadian and Super-Continental were rationalized in 1978 (at the expense of Ottawa-Capreol via CN and Toronto-Sudbury via CP) in order to stop operating two parallel branches, each, to Montreal and Toronto. Then, the Canadian (or at least its route) was eliminated in January 1990 (together with the Montreal branch). To understand this decision, one has first to acknowledge that VIA's mandate only specifies that it has to run a transcontinental service, but not at which exact route or frequency. This has been exploited by the federal government in 1989/90, by testing to the extreme how much VIA's operational expenses (and thus its federal subsidy) could be reduced without failing to deliver on its mandate.

Whether one agrees with the requirement to reduce VIA's transcontinental services (and its subsidy) to the bare minimum, this logic clearly favored focusing on one single route and ditching the CP route: West of Winnipeg, because the CN route connected with the Skeena, thus avoiding to extend that service to Edmonton and to either build a maintenance facility there or to pay CN market rates to either maintain VIA's equipment at their own facilities or to deadhead equipment across the country to VIA's other maintenance facilities (all of which would have needlessly escalated the operating costs). And east of Winnipeg, because it reduced the length over which a remote service would need to be operated (by only operating over one line, the remote sections of the other line would need to be covered by a separate remote service) from 1499 km (Capreol-Hornepayne-Winnipeg) to 484 km (Sudbury-White River, i.e. by two-thirds), which allowed the service to be operated with one single trainset formed by frugal RDC's rather than by two trainsets of HEP cars with sleeper facilities (given the scheduled travel time between Capreol and Winnipeg of approximately 24 hours).

To highlight this, I've extrapolated from VIA's current per-train-km subsidy figures what simply rerouting the Canadian onto CP route would cost and while it would save just over a $1 million in operating costs by itself, the obligation to extend the Skeena to Edmonton and run a separate Capreol-Winnipeg sleeper service (like between 1981 and 1990) would increase the annual subsidy need of all 3 services by $16.5 million (or more than a quarter):

Therefore, I'm inclined to agree with equire that the calculations which led to the decisions of which transcontinental route to keep was driven by cold mathematical considerations much more than by any political motivations:
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I've heard this repeated over the years but I frankly doubt it.. it sounds like an urban myth. Not that Mazankowski was the kingpin there during the Mulroney years, but that he somehow engineered things to screw Calgary. For one thing, the CN route had operational advantages given that VIA still needed to run the route to Prince Rupert that branched off from it [...]

As it just happens, I had a discussion a few datwith Terence Johnson (the president of Transport Action Canada) and I offered him a back-of-the-envelope calculation that estimate claim that "Restoring the Canadian, the Super Continental, the Atlantic, and the Ocean to daily services could probably be done for $3bn" might only pay for the required fleet and 3 years of operation, while adding another $3 billion would pay for 8 more years of operation:

So much about choosing to keep the CN over the CP route, but this doesn't explain why the Atlantic was sustained as second transcontinental route into Atlantic Canada. However, if we believe the explanation given by Tom Box in the January 1995 issue of the Branchline magazine, political pressure managed to preserve both routes:

Nevertheless, the Atlantic only survived for another 5 years before it was terminated in December 1994 after the National Transportation Agency (NTA) had approved CP's request to abandon their line between Sherbrooke and Saint John. I don't necessarily agree with the notion that VIA's transcontinental service should operate at the lowest-possible operating subsidy which still allows it to fulfill its transcontinental mandate, but the current design of its transcontinental network and service is a clear reflection of this policy goal.

Inter-City Mandate

In total, there were 14 routes which VIA inherited from CN and CP, of which half are still operated as VIA's "Corridor" services:

Of the seven discontinued routes, 3 services (Quebec - Trois-Rivieres - Montreal, Montreal - Montebello - Ottawa and Toronto - Welland - Buffalo) couldn't capitalize on end-to-end travel due to the presence of faster and more attractive parallel routes (via Drummondville, Alexandria or Niagara Falls), 2 services (Montreal-Sherbrooke and Havelock-Toronto) covered distances which rather fall into a provincial mandate (Commuters) than a federal one (Intercity), with the two remaining routes having seen their viability fading away due to uncompetitive travel times (Saskatoon-Regina) or a series of serious level crossing accidents which eroded public acceptance of that service (Calgary-Edmonton).

Remote Services

Finally, there are 8 routes shown in the October 1976 timetable which can be classified as a "remote" service (that is: serving communities without year-round ground transportation access):

Of these routes, 6 routes are still operated (4 by VIA, 1 by the Keewatin Railway Company and 1 by Ontario Northland) and 2 had to be terminated after CN was granted permission to remove the tracks (Senneterre - Cochrane and Thunder Bay - Sioux Lookout).

Other services

However, this still leaves so many services which we haven't accounted for yet and which have disappeared since 1976 that we have to divide them between east of Winnipeg and west of Winnipeg.

East of Winnipeg, there are 22 of these unaccounted services, of which 2 were operated with buses and 2 operated by CN as commuter services, which were subsequently transferred to GO. Of the 18 remaining services, all have full road access to all communities along the route:

West of Winnipeg, there are 16 of these unaccounted services, of which 5 were operated with buses or ferries and 1 was operated by the Atlantic Dominion Railway as mixed train for presumably not much past 1976. Of the 10 remaining services, all have full road access to all communities along the route:

Interestingly, three services survived for a few years beyond the 1990 cuts, despite having full road access: Moncton - Saint John (as part of the Atlantic's route until its termination in 1994), Gaspé - Matapedia and Victoria - Courtenay (the latter two were terminated even more recently - in 2013 and 2011 - as track conditions deteriorated below what would allow to safely operate passenger services).

My apologies for this very lengthy (but hopefully informative) post, but I hope that this post shows that the shrinking of VIA's network reflects the cold logic of serving a narrow mandate with a tight mandate much more than political horse trades...

Old Posted Feb 1, 2020, 9:27 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Oh yea also #461 this thread. We found your paper from a while back. Just as I couldn’t believe that Acajack’s a real last name, likewise with Urbanski.
Heh I’ve always wanted to join the discussions about passenger rails in Canada but too often I feel I’m late to the game already...

Old Posted Feb 2, 2020, 6:12 PM
BANNED

Urban Sky, I am not quoting all of that, or even parts of that, as it is long and very informative.

To me, there are 3 services to return to Canada that would benefit the most and would be most likely well used: CP's Canadian: Vancouver-Winnipeg, Edmonton-Calgary, and a new route that follows the Great Lakes Winnipeg-Thunder Bay - SSM -Toronto.

Doing those would bring rail service to thousands of Canadians without rail. I think I calculated it once to be over a million new people with access that currently are without.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2020, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Sky View Post
I can’t believe that it took me until now to find this thread, but I see that I’ve been already rather present in this conversation, without even knowing about it:
You are in good company. I only discovered it last Wednesday. Glad to have you in the discussion.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2020, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Urban Sky, I am not quoting all of that, or even parts of that, as it is long and very informative.

To me, there are 3 services to return to Canada that would benefit the most and would be most likely well used: CP's Canadian: Vancouver-Winnipeg, Edmonton-Calgary, and a new route that follows the Great Lakes Winnipeg-Thunder Bay - SSM -Toronto.

Doing those would bring rail service to thousands of Canadians without rail. I think I calculated it once to be over a million new people with access that currently are without.
I will be very interested to hear Urban_Sky's response, but I will put my 2 bits in and discuss each one individually.

Edmonton-Calgary: On paper, this route looks like a no brainier, but there are a significant number of hurdles. The route was cancelled because of a string of collisions with motor vehicles. Without a plan to rectify that (which could be very expensive), any plan to bring back rail service would likely be met by a large amount of local opposition. Significant upgrades would also be necessary to make it competitive with the current bus service. It would also come across as the feds trying to kill a local company. If it is going to have any hope of succeeding, it would need strong provincial support. If we didn't even hear boo about it while the NDP were in power, do you really expect the Conservatives to get behind it? Don't get me wrong, I would love to see it happen and would back a proposal for it fully, but this plan could backfire and be spun to increase western alienation, not decrease it.

Vancouver-Winnipeg: I would love to see this happen, but overnight trains are very expensive to operate due to there being fewer passengers per car and a higher crew to passenger ratio. Also, with the Renaissance cars being retired, VIA has a shortage of sleeper cars. As a result, it would require either a significant investment in new equipment or cutting service from another route.

A more likely option would be Vancouver-Calgary as that could be done in 24 hours and thus need less equipment, but would still be a challenge. The most feasible option would be a daylight train between Kamloops and Calgary, though it might be a stretch to do it with the current level of freight traffic.

Winnipeg-Thunder Bay - SSM -Toronto: This would also need to be an overnight train, and the same thing applies as I said above. While this route might be successful, it would poach riders from the existing "Canadian" route, significantly increasing the required subsidy. On top of that, it would be competing with the Agawa Canyon Tour Train.

If the government could get its act together and build a second road connecting eastern and western Canada (few know there is only one road (let alone highway) north of lake Superior that you can use to get between Nipigon and Thunder Bay) and had it connect to the otherwise isolated communities along the northern route, then maybe VIA could change the route it uses to make it more interesting for tourists (as others have said, the northern route is not very interesting).

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
I will be very interested to hear Urban_Sky's response, but I will put my 2 bits in and discuss each one individually.

Edmonton-Calgary: On paper, this route looks like a no brainier, but there are a significant number of hurdles. The route was cancelled because of a string of collisions with motor vehicles. Without a plan to rectify that (which could be very expensive), any plan to bring back rail service would likely be met by a large amount of local opposition. Significant upgrades would also be necessary to make it competitive with the current bus service. It would also come across as the feds trying to kill a local company. If it is going to have any hope of succeeding, it would need strong provincial support. If we didn't even hear boo about it while the NDP were in power, do you really expect the Conservatives to get behind it? Don't get me wrong, I would love to see it happen and would back a proposal for it fully, but this plan could backfire and be spun to increase western alienation, not decrease it.

Vancouver-Winnipeg: I would love to see this happen, but overnight trains are very expensive to operate due to there being fewer passengers per car and a higher crew to passenger ratio. Also, with the Renaissance cars being retired, VIA has a shortage of sleeper cars. As a result, it would require either a significant investment in new equipment or cutting service from another route.

A more likely option would be Vancouver-Calgary as that could be done in 24 hours and thus need less equipment, but would still be a challenge. The most feasible option would be a daylight train between Kamloops and Calgary, though it might be a stretch to do it with the current level of freight traffic.

Winnipeg-Thunder Bay - SSM -Toronto: This would also need to be an overnight train, and the same thing applies as I said above. While this route might be successful, it would poach riders from the existing "Canadian" route, significantly increasing the required subsidy. On top of that, it would be competing with the Agawa Canyon Tour Train.

If the government could get its act together and build a second road connecting eastern and western Canada (few know there is only one road (let alone highway) north of lake Superior that you can use to get between Nipigon and Thunder Bay) and had it connect to the otherwise isolated communities along the northern route, then maybe VIA could change the route it uses to make it more interesting for tourists (as others have said, the northern route is not very interesting).
The railway going east from Thunder Bay doesn’t pass through SSM; it follows Highway 17 up to about White River but then goes towards Chapleau and then Sudbury.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 1:02 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

It crosses Agawa Canyon Rail though. We can connect the 2.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 2:12 AM
BANNED

I will give my comments on each.

Quote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calgar...monton_Railway

The passenger service was discontinued in 1985. I will guess in the 35 years since then that level crossings have been improved. I would assume that if Via and CP came to an agreement to run, the worst crossings would get improved.

In short, it is a lousy reason, but a valid concern.

Quote:

Treat this section as 2 different services. One from Vancouver, the other from Winnipeg. Even if they were night trains, that would bring connectivity to the major cities on the Prairies.

The equipment will always be an issue. New built equipment based on the current Canadian could be done. Maybe they get a modern designed cars instead.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
The railway going east from Thunder Bay doesn’t pass through SSM; it follows Highway 17 up to about White River but then goes towards Chapleau and then Sudbury.
Quote:
It crosses Agawa Canyon Rail though. We can connect the 2.
A few things on this

1) the Agawa Canyon train does not stop except at the canyon and SSM.

2) Poaching passengers on a route that serves few people to a line that serves about 200,000 people would be a good thing. The CN route still should exist, but maybe should be a shorter train. This is why I think the Canadian should be broken into 2 in Winnipeg. 2 routes across the Prairies, and 2 routes across Ontario.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 5:44 PM

Quote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calgar...monton_Railway

The passenger service was discontinued in 1985. I will guess in the 35 years since then that level crossings have been improved. I would assume that if Via and CP came to an agreement to run, the worst crossings would get improved.

In short, it is a lousy reason, but a valid concern.
It is hard to say what improvements have been made, if any. It isn't CP's main line but a branch line, so it will have reduced traffic and thus would have had reduced incentive for upgrades.

Don't get me wrong. I think this route should be seriously investigated, but it won't be trivial and would need support from all levels of government and not just a directive from above.

Quote:
Treat this section as 2 different services. One from Vancouver, the other from Winnipeg. Even if they were night trains, that would bring connectivity to the major cities on the Prairies.

The equipment will always be an issue. New built equipment based on the current Canadian could be done. Maybe they get a modern designed cars instead.
I just don't think you understand the costs involved. While I agree trains are more comfortable than buses, without a mind boggling investment in upgrades, the these long distance routes will be slower, less frequent, and more expensive than buses and have a much higher carbon footprint.

People often argue for trains for environmental reasons, and while they can be green when carrying lots of passengers, for smaller passenger loads, buses are far greener.

Quote:
A few things on this

1) the Agawa Canyon train does not stop except at the canyon and SSM.
I don't disagree, but the local media will complain that VIA is destroying a local business.

Quote:
2) Poaching passengers on a route that serves few people to a line that serves about 200,000 people would be a good thing. The CN route still should exist, but maybe should be a shorter train. This is why I think the Canadian should be broken into 2 in Winnipeg. 2 routes across the Prairies, and 2 routes across Ontario.
You are forgetting that the northern route was picked because it serves communities that have no roads and the train is a lifeline. It is kind of like saying we want to divert money from heart transplants to cosmetic surgery because there is more demand for it. VIA can't abandon that route, but it is too long a route to be done with daylight service. Diverting tourists to a new route would make the subsidies required for that northern route to go through the roof.

If we can fix the road access problem, allowing VIA to abandon the northern route, then I agree that the southern route makes more sense.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 7:25 PM

Quote:
We found your paper from a while back. Just as I couldn’t believe that Acajack’s a real last name
I cannot be a real name... I even went back to an old thread to see if he mentioned it was his real name (I actually revived the thread by mistake )

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 7:50 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
I cannot be a real name... I even went back to an old thread to see if he mentioned it was his real name (I actually revived the thread by mistake )
Oh I just saw this.
Trust me, it is.
I looked him up. I’m simply amazed that it worked out so well for his SSP and Urban Toronto name.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 8:41 PM

Those subsidies of non-Corridor routes are nothing short of obscene.

VIA has been forced to run a 21st century rail system on a 19th century business model. Get the politics out of VIA and let them just cancel every single route outside the Corridor. VIA has gone, due to politics, from a rail company to a make-work project and it is the consumers that re paying the price. If certain regions or towns don't like it then too damn bad, it's not everyone else's responsibility to keep them solvent.

As for tourism, the government and VIA have a role to play but not at any price. VIA should take the average subsidy nationwide and simply declare that any service above that level must be paid for by the respective provinces, towns, businesses, resorts, or preferably a combination of all of them. Then you would find out whether they really want a train service and if so are they willing to put their money where their mouths are.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 9:12 PM
BANNED

Quote:

I just don't think you understand the costs involved. While I agree trains are more comfortable than buses, without a mind boggling investment in upgrades, the these long distance routes will be slower, less frequent, and more expensive than buses and have a much higher carbon footprint.

People often argue for trains for environmental reasons, and while they can be green when carrying lots of passengers, for smaller passenger loads, buses are far greener.

I don't disagree, but the local media will complain that VIA is destroying a local business.

You are forgetting that the northern route was picked because it serves communities that have no roads and the train is a lifeline. It is kind of like saying we want to divert money from heart transplants to cosmetic surgery because there is more demand for it. VIA can't abandon that route, but it is too long a route to be done with daylight service. Diverting tourists to a new route would make the subsidies required for that northern route to go through the roof.

If we can fix the road access problem, allowing VIA to abandon the northern route, then I agree that the southern route makes more sense.
I was not suggesting cancelling the northern route, but having less cars on the train.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada