HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 5:30 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Don’t forget: MN-61 (formerly U.S. 61) continues as ON-61.
QC A-15 used to be known as Route 9, continuing off U.S.-9 across Blackpool.
I don’t know if U.S.-1 and N.B.-1 count though.
But yea, interstate-wise, N.B.-95 is the only one.
Actually there are a few more and they’re mostly in Manitoba:
U.S.-83 continues as MB-83;
U.S.-75 (replaced by I-29) continues as MB-75;
U.S.-59 continues as MB-59;
I don’t know about MB-12...

Last one: U.S.-71 continues as ON-71 across International Falls/Fort Frances.

Alright guys, I think we have gathered our materials for the next trivia game.
Manitoba changed its north-south numbers to continue the US route numbers around 1950, when there were business associations promoting trade and tourism along these routes. For example, there was the “Palms to Pines” Jefferson Highway between New Orleans and Winnipeg — the monuments at each end are still there, in downtown New Orleans and in the median of Pembina Highway in south Winnipeg where the city’s boundary used to be. There was a lot of promotion of Route 83 from Swan River, Man. down to Texas, as well.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
I just had a look at B.C.'s 2019/2020 budget and it only called for $2.885 billion on spending on transportation and infrastructure. That is a ridiculously low amount for a province of 5.1 million people. No wonder they can have budget surpluses.
Infrastructure is capital and doesn't factor into deficit/surplus. While BC posts an operational surplus, it's debt keeps rising due to capital investment.

In comparison, AB has averaged ~$7B in infrastructure spend in recent years. The Kenney government will reduce that to ~$6B per annum, still far higher than BC and QC despite a lower population and stagnant economy.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
Re: the Google Earth map.

Define what you put as divided as if 11 in Ontario is considered it, then 1 in MB should be too, as well as parts of 11 and 17 in northern ON.
The parts of Highway 11 that I put in white are to freeway standards already. The parts in blue and green are planned or proposed.

I did a decent bit of research putting this together. The definition of "proposed" admittedly varies a bit but I want able to find any serious proposal from anyone ranging from provincial governments to SSP users to upgrade MB-1 to freeway standards, like I was in Saskatchewan and Alberta.

The far more interesting part of the map is the highways highlighted in pink that were cancelled or turn down. Most are in cities (Vancouver and Edmonton had an absurd amount of cancelled highways) but Quebec has a huge number of rural highways that got scrapped. Their network would be absurd today if those had gone through.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 7:49 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco401 View Post
The parts of Highway 11 that I put in white are to freeway standards already. The parts in blue and green are planned or proposed.

I did a decent bit of research putting this together. The definition of "proposed" admittedly varies a bit but I want able to find any serious proposal from anyone ranging from provincial governments to SSP users to upgrade MB-1 to freeway standards, like I was in Saskatchewan and Alberta.

The far more interesting part of the map is the highways highlighted in pink that were cancelled or turn down. Most are in cities (Vancouver and Edmonton had an absurd amount of cancelled highways) but Quebec has a huge number of rural highways that got scrapped. Their network would be absurd today if those had gone through.
The only rural highways in Manitoba that would ever become freeways would be Highway 75 to the border and Highway 59 north to the beaches and south to Niverville. Also the short stretch of Highway 12 from Highway 1 to Steinbach.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 10:42 PM
BANNED

Quote:

That is just it, if you have traveled the highways, you would know that the ones not listed are the same design as the ones already there, or even worse.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 1:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
That is just it, if you have traveled the highways, you would know that the ones not listed are the same design as the ones already there, or even worse.
Are you referring to ON-11? Going off Google maps, not only are they already the dark orange but I looked over the entire length of what I have in white and I don't see any at-grade intersections. I did the best I could here but bear in mind this was a few years ago and I have not travelled the majority of these.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 1:32 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Are you referring to ON-11? Going off Google maps, not only are they already the dark orange but I looked over the entire length of what I have in white and I don't see any at-grade intersections. I did the best I could here but bear in mind this was a few years ago and I have not travelled the majority of these.
ON-11 has 23 at-grade intersections from Gravenhurst to North Bay. It's like QC-175 between Stoneham-Tewkesbury (Quebec City) and Chicoutimi (Saguenay).

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 1:46 AM
BANNED

Quote:
ON-11 has 23 at-grade intersections from Gravenhurst to North Bay. It's like QC-175 between Stoneham-Tewkesbury (Quebec City) and Chicoutimi (Saguenay).
And then the section south has actual businesses still on the side of the road. Yes, there is a barrier, but it is not designed as a freeway.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 1:22 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
Manitoba changed its north-south numbers to continue the US route numbers around 1950, when there were business associations promoting trade and tourism along these routes. For example, there was the “Palms to Pines” Jefferson Highway between New Orleans and Winnipeg — the monuments at each end are still there, in downtown New Orleans and in the median of Pembina Highway in south Winnipeg where the city’s boundary used to be. There was a lot of promotion of Route 83 from Swan River, Man. down to Texas, as well.
It doesn't cross an international boundary, but Ontario has kept Quebec's highway number for the 148 when it crosses the Ottawa River and runs into Pembroke. QC-148 is the two lane route that runs along the north shore of the Ottawa River, from the Montreal area through Gatineau and up into the Pontiac. It ends at an interprovincial river crossing just outside Pembroke where the same road continues as ON-148.

This numbering runs against Ontario's usual highway numbering conventions. (Or at least, what passes as highway numbering conventions in Ontario!)

Last edited by Acajack; Jan 28, 2020 at 2:13 PM.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 2:03 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Well, we used to share Highway 2 (now S, D & G County Road 2, Route 338), Highway 17 (now my profile picture, Route 342) and Highway 34 (Route 344). Ha, 34 = 2 x 17.

But yea, 148’s a weird one. It would have made more sense to sign it as a continuation of Highway 41 on the Ontario side.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 4:46 PM

Looks like things are (slowly) moving on with twinning in the Yoho national park (phase IVB). Up until a week ago or so the page below displayed only "ongoing" for 'Prepare the Draft Detailed Impact Analysis' and everything else was "awaiting budget"
https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/pn-np/bc/yoh.../ie-ei/rtc-tch
"From January 27 – February 28 2020, Parks Canada invites you to review the draft Detailed Impact Analysis and let us know if there are any impacts we may have missed or not fully considered."

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 4:50 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by eloy View Post
Looks like things are (slowly) moving on with twinning in the Yoho national park (phase IVB). Up until a week ago or so the page below displayed only "ongoing" for 'Prepare the Draft Detailed Impact Analysis' and everything else was "awaiting budget"
https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/pn-np/bc/yoh.../ie-ei/rtc-tch
"From January 27 – February 28 2020, Parks Canada invites you to review the draft Detailed Impact Analysis and let us know if there are any impacts we may have missed or not fully considered."
It’s always boggled my mind why twinning through Yoho NP can’t be done more quickly. So many places already have 3 lanes so it shouldn’t be hard to add an extra one unless slope stabilization is a huuuge issue. Another thing that looks annoying is that 90-degree turn over the river from KHC, where TCH reverts back to 2 lanes...

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 5:06 PM

Quote:
It’s always boggled my mind why twinning through Yoho NP can’t be done more quickly. So many places already have 3 lanes so it shouldn’t be hard to add an extra one unless slope stabilization is a huuuge issue. Another thing that looks annoying is that 90-degree turn over the river from KHC, where TCH reverts back to 2 lanes...
Yoho has relatively easy terrain. The biggest challenge will be the 4 km stretch heading east from Field towards the Big Hill where the existing highway is built on fill placed in the floodplain of the Kicking Horse River. I suspect that approach wouldn't meet modern environmental standards. The map in the link is misleading as it shows the highway on the north Bank of the river which in reality is sort of in the river. The bend by the bridge is nowhere near sharp as it appears on the map.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 5:10 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Yoho has relatively easy terrain. The biggest challenge will be the 4 km stretch immediately east of Field where the existing highway is built on fill placed in the floodplain of the Kicking Horse River. I suspect they approach wouldn't meet modern environmental standards.
I’ve been wondering for quite a bit too, based on the Google Map Streetview. It’ll be great if it’s possible to tunnel the 4 lanes and decommission the current alignment afterward.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 5:22 PM

Alberta Highway 40 shares numbering with BC Highway 40 despite not connecting :
https://maps.app.goo.gl/V2YLBJzH5iiqtGNq7

When the highways were built in the 70's, the vision was to connect over Elk Pass, basically following the existing power line maintenance road. Elk Pass hosts the smallest of the 3 power interconnects between AB and BC. A railway proposal from the early 1900's would have followed the same route to exploit coal resources in the Kananaskis and Elk Valleys. . A connection would cut about 30 to 45 mins off the journey between Calgary and Highway 3 communities like Fernie and Cranbrook and dramatically enhanced ski opportunities.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 5:29 PM

Quote:
I’ve been wondering for quite a bit too, based on the Google Map Streetview. It’ll be great if it’s possible to tunnel the 4 lanes and decommission the current alignment afterward.
I would imagine tunneling through glacial till would be extremely challenging as would placing support columns for a causeway. Maybe some additional culverts could mitigate the impacts to water flow.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It doesn't cross an international boundary, but Ontario has kept Quebec's highway number for the 148 when it crosses the Ottawa River and runs into Pembroke. QC-148 is the two lane route that runs along the north shore of the Ottawa River, from the Montreal area through Gatineau and up into the Pontiac. It ends at an interprovincial river crossing just outside Pembroke where the same road continues as ON-148.

This numbering runs against Ontario's usual highway numbering conventions. (Or at least, what passes as highway numbering conventions in Ontario!)
Ontario specifically renumbered Highway 148 to match Quebec's highway numbering system. Until 1984, it was part of Highway 62.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 10:49 PM

[QUOTE=Dengler Avenue;8812395]Don’t forget: MN-61 (formerly U.S. 61)

KM 0 of NB 1 ends at the St. Croix River. You cross a short bridge and proceed to US Customs. Once you clear customs you drive a short distance (less than 1/2 km maybe) and you hit a roundabout which is route US 1. So no, it really isn't connected. I cannot remember if the road from the Customs booth is numbered or not. it is more of a connector road than a highway.

Last edited by PEI highway guy; Jan 30, 2020 at 11:02 PM.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 11:12 PM

[QUOTE=PEI highway guy;8816501]
Quote:
Don’t forget: MN-61 (formerly U.S. 61)

KM 0 of NB 1 ends at the St. Croix River. You cross a short bridge and proceed to US Customs. Once you clear customs you drive a short distance (less than 1/2 km maybe) and you hit a roundabout which is route US 1. So no, it really isn't connected. I cannot remember if the road from the Customs booth is numbered or not. it is more of a connector road than a highway.
Google Maps calls it International Avenue.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2020, 1:12 AM
I'm the bear on the right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Alberta Highway 40 shares numbering with BC Highway 40 despite not connecting :
https://maps.app.goo.gl/V2YLBJzH5iiqtGNq7

When the highways were built in the 70's, the vision was to connect over Elk Pass, basically following the existing power line maintenance road. Elk Pass hosts the smallest of the 3 power interconnects between AB and BC. A railway proposal from the early 1900's would have followed the same route to exploit coal resources in the Kananaskis and Elk Valleys. . A connection would cut about 30 to 45 mins off the journey between Calgary and Highway 3 communities like Fernie and Cranbrook and dramatically enhanced ski opportunities.
Highway 43 is on the BC side, not 40. Growing up in the Elk Valley, this proposal came up for discussion every few years. I believe that the problem was on the Alberta side with the various Kananaskis Country protected areas and Highway 40 itself being closed for 6 months a year. I always thought that a tunnel might work here, but both BC and Alberta Transportation have an aversion to them. Agree with the economic benefits for the Elk Valley communities, but a highway link in the future is a no-go unfortunately.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada