HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 21, 2024, 9:15 PM
recession proof

Maybe the sale of alcohol will be outlawed within 2 generations when Muslims are the majority in Ontario?

Old Posted Apr 21, 2024, 9:38 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

fermentation nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It's not the only main factor but it certainly has a big influence. The 5% Muslims figure is from 2021 and it's the fastest-growing religion in Canada and many newcomers who have arrived in recent years are Muslim. Plus younger generations are more than 5% Muslim as their age pyramid is a lot younger. Montreal and Toronto were already almost 10% Muslim in 2021. Younger generations may now be around 20% Muslim in these cities, and younger people are where a lot of your drinkers are traditionally.
Isn't atheism, or non-religion the fastest growing group? I expect tolerance of alcohol is high within this group.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2024, 9:57 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
Isn't atheism, or non-religion the fastest growing group? I expect tolerance of alcohol is high within this group.
Atheism is no more a religion than not having a favourite hockey team and being indifferent to the sport is taking sides in an NHL rivalry.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2024, 9:58 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
Maybe the sale of alcohol will be outlawed within 2 generations when Muslims are the majority in Ontario?
Not likely though it could become a lot more frowned-upon, as it is in some areas of British cities already.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2024, 10:00 PM
recession proof

No, Sikhism, Islam and fundamental conservative Christianity are the fastest growing religions eg Dutch Reformed, Pentecostal, Community Churches, Chinese Christians, Filipino Catholics.

It's 2050 and neither Lio nor Acajack will be able to buy alcohol under sharia law in their old age.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2024, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Not likely though it could become a lot more frowned-upon, as it is in some areas of British cities already.
Hard to see this as a negative development in the Britain.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2024, 10:24 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

may contain traces of god

Quote:
Atheism is no more a religion than not having a favourite hockey team and being indifferent to the sport is taking sides in an NHL rivalry.
I didn't call it a religion, but a group. AFAIK, in North America it is the fastest growing segment of society. Atheists do have diverging views on social issues, but mainly they are liberal.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2024, 10:25 PM
I am the law!

Quote:

Atheists are adamant God doesn't exist. They have taken a side. Agnostics don't have a side. Non religious isn't one group.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2024, 10:39 PM
recession proof

I'm quite certain the Old Testament God is a combination of the Sun, weather and war gods of old. I was watching a Christian church service this morning and all they could pray about was "good spring weather for our crops." This church doesn't allow alcohol, and yep, they're Mennonites lol.

I believe in the power of the Sun God; the problem with Christianity is it focuses on events 2000-3000 years ago while ignoring the reality of tribal conflict in the Middle East. Agrarian societies in Northern Europe could relate to the "sheep and shepherd" shtick.

Anyway, most Athiests are white old stock North Americans/Europeans sick of the hypocrisy of RC, Anglican, Lutheran, Presbyterian beliefs. I have yet to meet an Athiest from Trinidad, Nigeria or the Philippines.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2024, 10:55 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
come on. This won't happen.

Besides, there are numerous Muslim-majority countries where alcohol is legal.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2024, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
I was thinking this too. When I was a university undergrad about 15 years ago, we were all fairly heavy drinkers, and our undergraduate society, along with all others, had a huge focus on mixers, pub crawls, etc. These days those same societies appear to have hard pivoted away from all of that in favour of more family-friendly group events. Very rarely do I see them posting about mixers or pub crawls.
About 15 years ago universities start to do much more structured enterprise risk management. The idea of un-surprised/untrained alcohol service is scary and risk.

A student pub where there are "professionally" trained servers who will cut people off is one thing. A one off party/event is very different.

I think here in BC the big change was restaurants. Pre-covid there were limits on what could be offered as takeout and the restaurants were paying retail and then marking it up. Now they have a lot more flexibility to do off-sales and they get access to product at wholesale discounts.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2024, 11:28 PM
be nice to the crackheads

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post

Yeah, I've partied with many Muslims over the years. They consume alcohol and drugs just as we do, just less so (or not at all) in their home countries. They'd go all out in China and Canada though.

I was in Jakarta, Indonesia (the world's largest Muslim country), and had a fantastic time with the locals. I'd say half drank, and half didn't. Zero judgment to one another.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2024, 1:09 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post

I believe alcohol is legal in a pretty large majority of what we would call Muslim countries. Though there are restrictions in most. But of course Canada is not without its own restrictions on alcohol, which are often byzantine

That doesn't mean you won't get the side-eye (or in some cases a lot worse) for drinking alcohol in a lot of these countries.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2024, 1:15 PM
video et taceo

Besides, these sorts of "Muslim majority by year X" claims are pretty shoddy. Longtime forumers will recall similar projections about when Calgary will surpass Paris or whatever.

The dramatic upswing in immigration from the Muslim world is based on a lot of delicate supports that will likely prove unique to this era. Beyond that, Ontario is hardly France. Its pool of new immigrants is much more varied (to the point that Toronto would probably see a replay of the Gujarat riots before the fall of Constantinople).

Old Posted Apr 22, 2024, 1:18 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
Atheists are adamant God doesn't exist. They have taken a side. Agnostics don't have a side. Non religious isn't one group.
People always want to pigeonhole atheists into a higher belief system, insinuating that atheism is in itself a new religion of sorts. Personally I think there is a hidden agenda in that, rooted in the desire to not have society become fully secular.

Atheists just think that the world and universe exist as a kind of biological happenstance, all of which is the most scientifically logical explanation we have for everything.

It's not really a belief. It's as close to "fact" as we've got to go on.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2024, 1:52 PM

Not going to get too into the weeds, but aren’t most newcomers to Canada from India, anyway?

Not sure Hinduism is particularly anti-alcohol from my brief knowledge of things.

Outside a few fundamentalist states, widescale prohibition of alcohol is a non-starter from a practical or societal viewpoint.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2024, 2:07 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewave46 View Post
Not going to get too into the weeds, but aren’t most newcomers to Canada from India, anyway?

Not sure Hinduism is particularly anti-alcohol from my brief knowledge of things.

Outside a few fundamentalist states, widescale prohibition of alcohol is a non-starter from a practical or societal viewpoint.
I'd agree and also I've never noticed that Hindus are anti-alcohol. Though officially that religion isn't too keen on it. But that's true of many other religions, including Protestant Christianity of course.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2024, 2:19 PM

Quote:
I'd agree and also I've never noticed that Hindus are anti-alcohol. Though officially that religion isn't too keen on it. But that's true of many other religions, including Protestant Christianity of course.
Some Hindus do not take alcohol - many of them drink Scotch instead ...

Old Posted Apr 22, 2024, 2:26 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
Besides, these sorts of "Muslim majority by year X" claims are pretty shoddy. Longtime forumers will recall similar projections about when Calgary will surpass Paris or whatever.

The dramatic upswing in immigration from the Muslim world is based on a lot of delicate supports that will likely prove unique to this era. Beyond that, Ontario is hardly France. Its pool of new immigrants is much more varied (to the point that Toronto would probably see a replay of the Gujarat riots before the fall of Constantinople).
All true. I do think that if you look at demographic trends, there is a good chance that the Canada of the next decades will be a bit more morally conservative than today's Canada. Not just because of Muslims of course. And obviously alcohol may not be the biggest moral lightning rod, either.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2024, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewave46 View Post
Alcohol is kind of like meat in Hinduism in that attitudes toward it vary greatly depending on region, sect, caste and political stance, among other concerns. There are many Hindus who abstain completely, and a handful of Hindu-majority states in India are completely dry (e.g., Gujarat).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada