HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 1:28 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbarbera View Post
Another announcement from US Steel is imminent, and it will not be good news for Hamilton. There may be some prime waterfront property available soon...
Come on, what do you know?

Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 1:46 AM
Closed account

No condo I agree with that. However I think seeing something other then steel plants would good in the long run. I mean even to not have to look at that from the Bridge would be a positive in the long run. But heck who really knows.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 6:52 AM

Parkland with a path along the shore all the way through to Cootes Paradise.

Dreaming of it...wow.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 2:09 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

this is the former Lackawana steel site in Buffalo. It took a Federal Superfund to clean it up. There is no way Hamilton could do it alone. Perhaps at the same time of Randle Reef clean up they might be starting to clean up Stelco.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 5:08 PM

Forget the dreaming! Why would you want it shut down? 1200 people would lose there high paying jobs. At an average of 4 persons per house hold that would be 4800 people directly effected. US Steel Canada would have no reason to keep an office in Hamilton. Another couple of 100 jobs lost. The trucking jobs, the dock and shipping jobs and the hundreds of jobs of support and suppliers would be lost. For want? A couple of condos or wind mills? It is better off as a viable steel mill.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeHamilton View Post
Forget the dreaming! Why would you want it shut down? 1200 people would lose there high paying jobs. At an average of 4 persons per house hold that would be 4800 people directly effected. US Steel Canada would have no reason to keep an office in Hamilton. Another couple of 100 jobs lost. The trucking jobs, the dock and shipping jobs and the hundreds of jobs of support and suppliers would be lost. For want? A couple of condos or wind mills? It is better off as a viable steel mill.
Indeed, I would like to see it stay open too.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Let's be fair, it would be more than a "couple" of condos; this is prime waterfront we're talking about.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 5:32 PM
It's Hammer Time

Shut down of Hamilton Works is bound to happen one day unless big investments is made to upgrade Hamilton Works. Or else everything will be transfered to the Lake Erie plant.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Look ahead to the future. Steel Industry in NA is not going anywhere, and I don't want my tax dollars going to prop up an ancient industry if transformation is possible (meaning a bailout). With globalization, changes will happen. Sure some people will be put out of work, but look at Pittsburgh. Their industries evolved. No, I've never been there, but alot of things I hear about Pittsburgh is that it's done a fantastic job of getting out the Manufacturing (Steel) Industry and focusing more on Health & Technology.

One problem. Hamilton is like Gary, Indiana. It's not like Pittsburgh, which is THE place to be in Western Pennsylvania. THE place to be in Gary Indiana is a little more north, aka Chicago, and THE place to be here is in Toronto, Ontario.

The reason areas like Barton and along the waterfront are so decrepit and run-down are because of the steel mills, due to pollution, and just the gritty factor trickle south.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
Look ahead to the future. Steel Industry in NA is not going anywhere, and I don't want my tax dollars going to prop up an ancient industry if transformation is possible (meaning a bailout).
Confused by your post. What do you mean by "Steel Industry in NA is not going anywhere"?

Do you mean it's here to stay? Or do you mean it's not progressing?

Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairHamilton View Post
Confused by your post. What do you mean by "Steel Industry in NA is not going anywhere"?

Do you mean it's here to stay? Or do you mean it's not progressing?
I meant progressing. Like we can all admit (hopefully), the glory days of the steel industries are passed (in north america).

Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 8:27 PM
Closed account

Quote:
I meant progressing. Like we can all admit (hopefully), the glory days of the steel industries are passed (in north america).
Be careful what you wish for. If the steel companies were closed up. Then you have no idea how many people that would bankrupt. And it would be the pensioners it would hurt the worse.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 8:31 PM

Quote:
I'd disagree, my understanding is that US Steel and Arcelor Mittal were running full out during the summer, and production bonuses were being made.

This slowdown isn't limited to NA Steel Mills, it's being felt by ones in China (and elsewhere) as well, http://www.chinafastener.info/en/news/2876.htm

I think the industry is changing and evolving not dying.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2008, 4:16 AM

My original point was that a piece of land in Dundas was remediated for habitation. Does anyone know if the Stelco lands are beyond remediation? ie. too expensive. Didn't that Turkstra guy buy some land to remediate? I wonder what he's planning.

If you think about it that is alot of land used to employ 1400 people, not to mention the pollution, the waterfront/city image.

The global trend is to move labour intensive jobs to lower wage countries. They only reason global giants like Arcelor and US steel would want North American plants is proximity to customers and hard to train specialized skilled labour. It's innovation and an educated workforce that will provide future jobs here.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2008, 4:46 AM
Needs more coffee...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthEndRules View Post
My original point was that a piece of land in Dundas was remediated for habitation. Does anyone know if the Stelco lands are beyond remediation? ie. too expensive. Didn't that Turkstra guy buy some land to remediate? I wonder what he's planning.

If you think about it that is alot of land used to employ 1400 people, not to mention the pollution, the waterfront/city image.

The global trend is to move labour intensive jobs to lower wage countries. They only reason global giants like Arcelor and US steel would want North American plants is proximity to customers and hard to train specialized skilled labour. It's innovation and an educated workforce that will provide future jobs here.
Exactly. Do I know what will happen or when? No.
Do I think the steel industry will eventually move out of Hamilton... sure, eventually.

Although in the shorter-term it's terrible for those who directly rely on it, it is a lot of land used to employ a relatively small amount of people, however many there are/were/will be.

If we have skilled tech jobs, etc. in a skyscraper or two downtown employs the same amount of people and makes better use of a smaller piece of land... And the surrounding land can be used for other purposes. Imagine actually talking about skyscrapers on this forum.

Short-term it's no fun for anyone. It changes a lot about the city. But in the long-term, it may prove the greater asset.

Worst-case scenario, of course, would be to see the steel mills gone and no one who wants to touch the brownfields. Being waterfront though, it would happen eventually.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2008, 5:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emge View Post
Exactly. Do I know what will happen or when? No.
Do I think the steel industry will eventually move out of Hamilton... sure, eventually.

Although in the shorter-term it's terrible for those who directly rely on it, it is a lot of land used to employ a relatively small amount of people, however many there are/were/will be.

If we have skilled tech jobs, etc. in a skyscraper or two downtown employs the same amount of people and makes better use of a smaller piece of land... And the surrounding land can be used for other purposes. Imagine actually talking about skyscrapers on this forum.

Short-term it's no fun for anyone. It changes a lot about the city. But in the long-term, it may prove the greater asset.

Worst-case scenario, of course, would be to see the steel mills gone and no one who wants to touch the brownfields. Being waterfront though, it would happen eventually.
They need to cooperatively introduce other forms of manufacturing that use transferable skills (like building things involved in green technologies - car engines, turbines or whatever) as they phase out the steel industry in Hamilton. That way there are jobs for those that lose their jobs with the steel companies.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2008, 6:06 AM
Closed account

That may help the laid off workers from the steel companies Crhayes but as I said before what about the pensioners that will lose their bridge and benefits. The bridge can be as much as 75% of a pensioners monthly wage. So to lose those things will hurt them immensely.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2009, 8:34 PM

U.S. Steel reports surge in profit

http://www.thestar.com/Business/article/577950

Quote:
Jan 27, 2009 10:49 AM

DANIEL LOVERING
The Associated Press

PITTSBURGH–United States Steel Corp.'s fourth-quarter earnings soared as strong pipe sales and an acquisition-related gain boosted results, but the steel maker forecast an operating loss in the current quarter due to the global economic slowdown.

U.S. Steel's earnings came amid an industrywide slump in demand for the metal among key buyers in the automotive, construction and industrial equipment sectors. Steel prices, which reached all-time highs in the first half of 2008, plunged later in the year, and production at domestic steel mills dropped to levels not seen in a quarter century.

The Pittsburgh-based company – the largest U.S.-based steel producer – said Tuesday its net income jumped to $308 million, or $2.65 per share, from $35 million, or 29 cents per share, a year ago. The earlier quarter included charges totaling $117 million, or 98 cents per share.

Quarterly sales rose to $4.57 billion from $4.54 billion last year, helped by strong sales from U.S. Steel's tubular steel business.

The latest quarterly results included a gain of $76 million, or 65 cents per share, related to U.S. Steel's acquisition of a portion of a partnership called Clairton 1314B. U.S. Steel sells coke, a steel making material, and byproducts through Clairton 1314B.

Excluding the gain, U.S. Steel said it would have earned $2 per share in the quarter.

Analysts, on average, estimated U.S. Steel would earn 71 cents per share on revenue of $4.27 billion, according to a survey by Thomson Reuters. The earnings estimates typically exclude one-time items.

Shares of U.S. Steel rose $1.84, or 6 per cent, to $31.30 in morning trading.

For the full year, U.S. Steel's profit more than doubled, jumping to $2.13 billion, or $18.11 per share, from $879 million, or $7.40 per share, in 2007.

In October, U.S. Steel posted record third-quarter results, helped by surging prices, but warned that fourth-quarter results would decline amid slowing demand from North America and Europe.

Later in the year, U.S. Steel announced it was laying off 675 workers in North America and idling three plants temporarily, affecting about 3,500 workers.

During the quarter, U.S. Steel's share price sank 48 per cent, hitting its lowest point in five years in November. In 2008, U.S. Steel shares shed 67 per cent of their value.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2009, 10:19 PM

If City Council had some insight they'd approach Stelco about building parts for Light Rail trains and tracks. But of course, by the time the city has dragged its feet long enough and finally decided to fund Light Rail, we'll be buying parts from Stelco based out of the US and paying a premium. "We are not a rich municipality" as Lloyd Ferguson likes to sing.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2009, 10:23 PM
Hammer'd

Stelco/US Steel doesn't do that kind of thing. They just make the steel which is shipped off to companies that DO manufacture the parts... in a broad sense. The only company in Hamilton that might be able to take part in that kind of thing is Siemens.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy