HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted May 8, 2024, 3:08 PM
Community Guy

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted May 12, 2024, 12:56 PM
In Edmonton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Atrocious and annoying ambient soundtrack to accompany a largely excuse-filled ramble. Will the project be fulfilled under budget and on time? That's the only question you need to answer if you're a project manager. It's cute that a lot of apprentice workmen were hired but that's not exactly your objective.

The Edmonton Insight Community sent out a survey last month about Bus Rapid Transit. This is noteworthy.

The tramway was supposed to replace BRT but nowhere in the survey was that assertion challenged or in any way addressed.

Old Posted May 13, 2024, 2:28 AM
Great White Norf

Our own SSP fellow forumer, softee
Aka Walking YouTuber The Ken Continuum recently traveled to Edmonton

He rode the LRT
Video Link

He also did a 40 min walk along Jasper Ave
Video Link

Old Posted May 13, 2024, 6:49 PM
Community Guy

Took the LRT from Century Park to Corona last night for the game. Overall a good experience at CP, except that one of the two ARC machines didn't accept CC.

My oh my was the ride from CP to UofA slow and had 2-3 stops or super slow areas for no apparent reason.

Corona station SE entrance by First Edmonton Place was disgusting at street level, one entrance boarded up and the plaza in front of Timmy's awful and full of garbage and broken windows. What an impression.

Old Posted May 13, 2024, 11:18 PM
Great White Norf

The last time I rode Edmonton's LRT was a decade ago and it was in decent shape.

What happened?

Old Posted May 14, 2024, 6:21 AM

Hi all 👋 First time post. I am a Edmontonian who wants to continue to enhance our city. Looking forward to contributing value where I can on this forum.

Old Posted May 14, 2024, 6:23 AM

Quote:
Took the LRT from Century Park to Corona last night for the game. Overall a good experience at CP, except that one of the two ARC machines didn't accept CC.

My oh my was the ride from CP to UofA slow and had 2-3 stops or super slow areas for no apparent reason.

Corona station SE entrance by First Edmonton Place was disgusting at street level, one entrance boarded up and the plaza in front of Timmy's awful and full of garbage and broken windows. What an impression.

When I last rode the LRT about 2 years ago there was no credit card option at Bay/Enterprise station, only cash and coins. Please tell me this has been rectified to keep up with modern times? If not, I’ll write a letter to the city.

Old Posted May 14, 2024, 2:15 PM
Community Guy

They have since implemented ARC (https://www.edmonton.ca/ets/fares-passes) and rectified that, but one of the machines was down at CP and that caused all sorts of confusion and delays for those trying to use it and then having to line up behind the other.

Old Posted May 14, 2024, 7:23 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post
The last time I rode Edmonton's LRT was a decade ago and it was in decent shape.

What happened?
It still is, there is just the occasional riff raff in and around the station entrances and sometimes platforms since there are no turnstiles. Covid also made things worse, as it did in all major cities globally.

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 11:14 AM
In Edmonton

Quote:

I reload from home so I've never used the ARC dispensation interfaces. When I was in Vancouver just a few weeks ago their pass worked intermittently too. It rejected my CC but accepted my debit card. No reason.

The line towards Century Park sometimes experiences delays around Jubilee and I think that's because it's the terminus of one route and a timing point for the other. Just imagine a bus stop where two bus routes coincide but neither can depart until the other one has arrived.

When I was in Vancouver I saw a few sketchy people near the Main Street stop but that's almost expected. They were the comical television portrayal of homeless people with backpacks and slightly dramatic speech patterns and gestures. Edmonton's station entrances downtown are typically clogged with visibly disturbed people who give you that look that suggests you're about to be stabbed if you return their gaze in just the wrong way.

It's wise to wear a hoodie and other such garb on and around Edmonton's LRT to avoid giving the impression that you have any cash on you.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton