HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 4:11 AM

So is 330 actually going to be a few levels or is that just a giant big box Goodlife (like GP) on top of Winnipeg Square? Lol

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 4:24 AM

^ It sure looks like a big box. I don't see how on earth you could stack another level on top of that.

While that may not be great news, at least it's a bit of a filler until something a bit more substantial becomes a possibility on that site. Walking around there, you can definitely feel how that building will form a bit of a streetwall and separate Main from Fort. Having that building there for the next 20 or 30 years will certainly be a huge improvement over the situation that existed for the last 40+ years on that spot.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 7:34 AM
Winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ It sure looks like a big box. I don't see how on earth you could stack another level on top of that.

While that may not be great news, at least it's a bit of a filler until something a bit more substantial becomes a possibility on that site. Walking around there, you can definitely feel how that building will form a bit of a streetwall and separate Main from Fort. Having that building there for the next 20 or 30 years will certainly be a huge improvement over the situation that existed for the last 40+ years on that spot.
Why can't call second level be there? Sorry I just don't understand the reason from a structural standpoint.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 1:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspionNoir View Post
Why can't call second level be there? Sorry I just don't understand the reason from a structural standpoint.
The trusses on top look like the ones used to support a roof as opposed to additional levels.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 2:42 PM
the first stamp is free

The front ~ half along Main of 330 rises to 4 floors.

I think the back half stays at 1 or 2 floors.

Those open-web-steel-joists you see can be used to support both floors and roof. The loading is pretty comparable once you get above the main floor for commercial space.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 2:46 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Those open-web-steel-joists you see can be used to support both floors and roof.
They are also great for building docks!

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 2:47 PM

^ Thanks for shedding some light on that.

It's good news in my books if the stretch along Main will rise a bit higher. Even at its current height it would be quite an improvement, but a couple more floors will be even better.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 8:38 PM

Quote:
The front ~ half along Main of 330 rises to 4 floors.

Quote:
I think the back half stays at 1 or 2 floors.

Sounds about right! You can see on the Fort side that the central glass box doesn't go all the way to the street.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 8:40 PM

Is that where all the mechanical will be housed for 300 main? I can't imagine there be 4 full floors of retail.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 6:20 PM

I hope the city/Artis do something about the narrow sidewalk on Main. As nice as it is to have lots of planters there, I really think they need to be removed and benches put in, as that bus stop is often packed and you can't walk down the sidewalk since there's so many people. Put in some of the big pots along it, but it sorely needs to be widened.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2019, 5:28 PM

I think ARTIS owns the vertical concrete walls along Main St. So I doubt anything will change there unless the City closes a lane of traffic. But we all know how well that whole P&M thing went.

To note, the 4 'billboard' enclosures are up on the tower core. Funny the ends don't connect with each other so I assume they'll be framed in somehow. Also along the bottoms and tops. So seems like we won't see any movement on the core for a while yet.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 2:39 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post

To note, the 4 'billboard' enclosures are up on the tower core. Funny the ends don't connect with each other so I assume they'll be framed in somehow. Also along the bottoms and tops. So seems like we won't see any movement on the core for a while yet.
Last night after the Jets game I noticed the NE corner of the jump form "billboards" was closed in.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 5:58 PM

Does anyone have any recent pictures of 330? It was seeing so much progress in previous pictures.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 9:43 PM

Wow, the main floor of 330 is going to be huge...I hope they can fill it with whatever is they hope to. I wonder if the existing mechanical equipment that is now getting entombed within the steelwork will eventually get moved or will stay where it is.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 9:51 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Grateful for the pics here, this is the most important project for Winnipeg in years.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 9:53 PM

Yes, thank you for the photo!

Question regarding the Fort side. What does the 'econic' text indicate in the render? What word is that?

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 10:15 PM

@BackLane we haven't heard from you in awhile...can you tell us when the Doka forming system will begin to rise?

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Yes, thank you for the photo!

Question regarding the Fort side. What does the 'econic' text indicate in the render? What word is that?
You are welcome!

For the "econic" my guess is that architect was just being fancy by rendering something. Just like the the front of the building...it's probably won't be labelled "The Market".

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 6:13 AM

Looks like the building footprint comes much closer to Main than the renders imply – and than I expected. That's nice.

Drew – is the driveway being narrowed? Doesn't look like much room for a sidewalk out front.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 3:24 PM
the first stamp is free

^ it isn't being narrowed from what I can tell. Those columns at the front along main street support a high canopy that will extend over top of the existing sidewalk area. The new entrance to 330 will be right in there.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan