HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 5:47 AM

One thing interesting about the flyover from the website is the size of the crosswalks at Graham and Main. I know it's just a render, but with the accuracy of the rest of the image, I wonder if they hope to open it up and make it a little more active there.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 11:16 AM

I wonder why the flyover doesn't incorporate the new design and, is One Portage and Main going to still be built some years down the road, cause its in all their renderings
According to the Free Press work on 300 main will be starting sometime this month or next month, however it will be fairly "underwhelming" cause they'll be focused on moving around ducts, etc. in Winnipeg Square around the food court. The tower crane should be placed above the elevator shaft for the original tower, but 300 main won't start rising until late summer.

Last edited by balletomane; Apr 12, 2017 at 1:15 PM.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 1:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by balletomane View Post
I wonder why the flyover doesn't incorporate the new design and, is One Portage and Main going to still be built some years down the road, cause its in all their renderings
Interesting, good catch! here's a screencap:

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 1:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
forst st wont change much theres underground parking access and exits there kinda makes hard to do anything
It's just a bit of a letdown given that the pad in between the two towers was meant for a building that occupied the width of the block between Main and Fort, but judging by the rendering the planned structure will fill maybe 1/3 of that space. It's better than nothing and it will still dramatically improve the way the Main Street side looks, but it's hard to forget what was initially planned.

It's a bit easier to get over the fact that 300 Main will only occupy half of the pad space (or less, by the looks of it) because of that building's impressive height, but the bottom line is that there will be a lot of space sitting permanently empty on that block after these projects are built.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 1:44 PM
What could go wrong?

Ray Wan is the Architect for this project and he designed the now failed One Portage so I imagine that this allows it to live on in the renderings.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 2:03 PM

It's not included in the renderings but it would be nice if the rooftop of the podium included usable space.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
It's just a bit of a letdown given that the pad in between the two towers was meant for a building that occupied the width of the block between Main and Fort, but judging by the rendering the planned structure will fill maybe 1/3 of that space. It's better than nothing and it will still dramatically improve the way the Main Street side looks, but it's hard to forget what was initially planned.

It's a bit easier to get over the fact that 300 Main will only occupy half of the pad space (or less, by the looks of it) because of that building's impressive height, but the bottom line is that there will be a lot of space sitting permanently empty on that block after these projects are built.
If something ever gets built where that SkyCity thing was / is supposed to be I'd hope that would help alleviate it somewhat and maybe make the spacing there more appealing?

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Ray Wan is the Architect for this project and he designed the now failed One Portage so I imagine that this allows it to live on in the renderings.
I hope something similar to that is built there. I just heard about that project and think it looked great.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 5:39 PM

There also ramps to the parkade on the Main St. side and a drop off area. So same situation there.

It would almost seem there is a phase 3 to this complex. The new tower will be only on the east side of the pad site. There's still room for something else at that end. And the building in between towers is fronting Main, like was noted. So seems like there's still potential for something to some of the Fort side.

I would hope they will at least reclad everything that's left. Hopefully the Scotiabank building will get re-clad now that its being sold.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 5:43 PM

^^^^^^ I like the parking lot on the left. You need parking downtown.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 5:57 PM
BANNED

360 Main would be more interesting if one half was higher than the other

Old Posted Apr 17, 2017, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by balletomane View Post
Does anyone know if 300 main will have some sort of public observation area? I know SkyCity was supposed to have some sort of sky lounge, but there seems to be a lot of speculation as to whether that will even be built.
Winnipeg really needs an observation area at its highest point, the Richardson had one years ago but that's been long closed and Prairie 360 and the CMHR are obstructed in some directions because they aren't the highest point.
It won't be open to the public, just residents. Artis has long indicated a gathering/amentity space for the top floor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Interesting find. The flyover view is cool, although underwhelming in terms of what it all means for Fort Street. Looks like nothing will be changing on that side.
This website was created before the latest renderings were released. Ultimately, these limited renderings are from the same release seen over a year ago... they only serve to convey the general idea and scope at this point. These are before the drawings even started.

Quote:
forst st wont change much theres underground parking access and exits there kinda makes hard to do anything
True. There is next to nothing that can be ADDED on fort, but what is there will be dressed up for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGarden View Post
It's not included in the renderings but it would be nice if the rooftop of the podium included usable space.
They've promised podium rooftop space for residents and amenities. Also looks like there is opportunity for a restaurant rooftop in new renderings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
There also ramps to the parkade on the Main St. side and a drop off area. So same situation there.

It would almost seem there is a phase 3 to this complex. The new tower will be only on the east side of the pad site. There's still room for something else at that end. And the building in between towers is fronting Main, like was noted. So seems like there's still potential for something to some of the Fort side.

I would hope they will at least reclad everything that's left. Hopefully the Scotiabank building will get re-clad now that its being sold.
Those renderings are primitive now... the new tower will phase its podium into the +15 walkways so that space is spoken for.

However, Artis has occasionally mentioned 3 phases, but phase 1 is the re-clad, 2 is the tower, 3 is the central portion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
360 Main would be more interesting if one half was higher than the other
That would also mirror the same staggered heights of 300. Good point.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2017, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post

I was just about to post some similar thoughts...it certainly appears that way doesn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
Those renderings are primitive now... the new tower will phase its podium into the +15 walkways so that space is spoken for.

However, Artis has occasionally mentioned 3 phases, but phase 1 is the re-clad, 2 is the tower, 3 is the central portion.
Ah, interesting. Thanks Wolf.

Though, it would be certainly interesting if Artis did leave space for another high rise, somehow, on this site

Old Posted Apr 17, 2017, 8:36 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
Though, it would be certainly interesting if Artis did leave space for another high rise, somehow, on this site
From what I remember the middle pad site foundation was only built to accommodate approximately 8 storeys. My last conversation with Artis was that they have turned their attention away from finding a Hotelier to trying to secure a two storey or so retail tenant - grocer.

It would seem extremely remote that there would be any kind of high-rise on the middle pad.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Apr 17, 2017, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
From what I remember the middle pad site foundation was only built to accommodate approximately 8 storeys. My last conversation with Artis was that they have turned their attention away from finding a Hotelier to trying to secure a two storey or so retail tenant - grocer.

It would seem extremely remote that there would be any kind of high-rise on the middle pad.
Some kind of midrise would be nice though

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 10:30 PM

Midrise would be ideal... perhaps too ideal. A more realistic idea would hopefully be a grocer.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam View Post
Some kind of midrise would be nice though
That pad was intended for a lowrise atrium hotel... think a fairly large but low slung O-shaped hotel around a central atrium (centred on the part of Winnipeg Square that has the raised ceiling). As Biff said, it probably won't get much higher than the 8 storeys that was originally envisioned, although I think the original concept of a hotel that size would be fantastic.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 4:44 AM
Back from the dead

So....when can some activity on site be expected?

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 3:51 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

once the facade of 360 is done i think is whats been said a few times in the media

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 3:52 AM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
once the facade of 360 is done i think is whats been said a few times in the media
Actually, I thought there was an article recently that said May. There's some relocation work that needs to be done before the tower can start to rise.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan