HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 10, 2014, 5:10 PM
the first stamp is free

The fact that it will be rentals and not condos all but assures a tight budget and restricts the quality of finishes.

I guess a good benchmark for what to expect would be the tower going up on Assiniboine.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2014, 5:22 PM

At first, I wasn't sure I was on board for this project, but I eventually came around to the idea in principle. I do think this proposal could be good for the area.
However, it was always clear (to me) from a simple Google search that both Sotirios Kotoulas and Peter Anadranistakis have no experience on a project of this nature or scope. Look at Kotoulas's web page. He presents himself like a grad student. Great ideas, no experience.
Weeks ago I checked the UM webpage and could find no indication he was employed there. Teaching a class as a sessional lecturer once or twice doesn't make you a Professor. To me, it's a big problem that he presents himself this way before a city committee.
I do worry that all this erodes any credibility that the project team ever had.
Maybe he's in over his head? It will be interesting to see what happens.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2014, 5:23 PM

I thought the original rendering was impressively original and quite far removed from the usual austere rental towers that have been going up in most Canadian cities (including Winnipeg). I guess drew's comments have brought me back down to earth.

As to the original design, I like how the bracing evoked the industrial character of the pumphouse. I thought it did a pretty good job of complementing the pumphouse without trying to be matchy matchy. It has a high end look that you might expect to see in a bigger, wealther city... but alas, I guess that's the reason we're not going to get it.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2014, 7:36 PM

Someone or more accurately, (some people) are not happy this proposal has been approved in it's preliminary stage, (height variance). That's ok.

As already discussed by many posters the (architect) scandal, I'll use those words, is irrelevant in the grand scheme of this proposal moving forward or not. Technically and legally, there was nothing done wrong, as already discussed. From a credibility stand point for the individual involved/developer, and councils due diligence in the matter, it has raised questions of credibility for both parties. This discussion is best left to the MAA and what if anything should be done. /end/

I've learned(from the article),that only one thing should change at this point. my OP and who was listed under what category.

Personally, I was quite happy with the initial "artists rendering of the proposal". Industrial, Glass, steel exterior, with what appears to be smoke stacks, representing the warehouse district and it's integration with the Pump House quite well. Others will disagree.

I can't comment much more on the proposal or how it may change, as it is only 5 days removed from being approved in it's initial stage.

I'll give this to at least April of this year to hear more about the Parkade, and more detailed information on the project. Hence the term Proposed..

Old Posted Jan 10, 2014, 9:03 PM

All you have to do is google image search Sotirios Kotoulas to see what his work has involved up to this point.. when he says he went to prestigious schools it was only ever doing heavy abstract /theoretical/ speculated work - http://lebbeuswoods.wordpress.com/20...-architecture/.

Not that I disagree with that king of work - I am just aware that there is a huge disparity between what goes into that level of thinking, and being capable to construct a 24 storey tower into an existing heritage building.

My displeasure with the quality of the tower design aside.. I highly doubt he is even capable of pulling of the winter garden he is illustrating with very ambiguous imagery on his own website. He has yet to prove himself a designer capable of building in the real world (aside from the house he designed for his parents while still in school)

http://sotirioscorp.com/projects/jam...e-pump-station

Perhaps his illustrations of the pumphouse shows the disconnect between his abstract thinking (shown in sketches + collages of lavish interior environment layered with content) and being able to execute it as shown in the interior rendering of a cafe (i think) simply suspended above the machinery -- that said i'll reserve full judgement till its completion (if ever)

-

And despite having not done anything wrong technically as far as requiring to be licensed goes.. It is odd that there isn't an Architect involved in any capacity at this point.. it was my understanding that an Architect can't just look over a completed set of drawings and say "this looks good", and give it a stamp - they have to be implicated in the process along the way. I may be wrong there though.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2014, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
However, it was always clear (to me) from a simple Google search that both Sotirios Kotoulas and Peter Anadranistakis have no experience on a project of this nature or scope. Look at Kotoulas's web page. He presents himself like a grad student. Great ideas, no experience.
Weeks ago I checked the UM webpage and could find no indication he was employed there. Teaching a class as a sessional lecturer once or twice doesn't make you a Professor. To me, it's a big problem that he presents himself this way before a city committee.

exactly.

His seminar course was based on electromagnetic forces or something.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2014, 10:37 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Sounds to me like a local architect opposed to the project called the Free Press with some sour grapes trying to make something about nothing.
a local architect who's name is on a firm in the next building perhaps...one who mistakenly spoke out about it at council?....probably.

sour grapes.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2014, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejb View Post
exactly.

His seminar course was based on electromagnetic forces or something.
I'd like to partake in this type of seminar. Is it being offered again with Sotirios ?

Previous post ^^^ 3 up. I take it your not happy with the situation?

Old Posted Jan 10, 2014, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
I'd like to partake in this type of seminar. Is it being offered again with Sotirios ?

Previous post ^^^ 3 up. I take it your not happy with the situation?
not unhappy. I would say I am skeptical. But always happy to be proven wrong.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2014, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejb View Post
not unhappy. I would say I am skeptical. But always happy to be proven wrong.
That's a reasonable response.

If you become happy being proven wrong, you will enjoy this forum. I learned that after my 10th post. Good luck fellow poster.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2014, 1:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
a local architect who's name is on a firm in the next building perhaps...one who mistakenly spoke out about it at council?....probably.

sour grapes.
haha, i love the subtlety here TV, awesome

Old Posted Jan 11, 2014, 3:44 AM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by urb View Post
haha, i love the subtlety here TV, awesome
Yes, exactly what I what I meant, TV just said it better.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jan 12, 2014, 7:40 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Old Posted Jan 12, 2014, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
I was scared for a second when i opened the story and SkyCity's rendering was posted beside the headline! Even though the only mention of SkyCity in the article is on the sidebar, with a one liner.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2014, 9:50 PM

Fellas,

Cool it. Its just going to be a small 24 storey addition to the existing Pump House and the engines from the machine garden are going to run the elevators in order to satisfy the CentreVenture people. You cool now?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 7:15 PM

This is just a wierd listing in the JOC?

CONDOMINIUM
Winnipeg, Division No 11 MB NEGOTIATED/PLANNING
James Avenue pumping station site redevelopment, 109 James Ave
$10,000,000 est
Note: A developer has been secured for the site. The scope of work has been finalized. An architect has been secured to complete detailed design and working drawings. Contact information for the architect will be released late spring/early summer, 2014. Working drawings are anticipated summer, 2014. Further project schedules are undetermined.
Project: redevelopment of the James Ave Pumping station. The site will include construction of a 24 storey condominium building with two storeys of commercial at grade and 220 suites. The project will include reuse of the existing heritage building.
Scope: 350,000 square feet; 24 storeys; 2 storeys below grade; 220 units

Ahh..the joc is not very accurate most of the time, no surprise. Take it with a grain of salt. Do they actually check it before releasing the info.

First report Thu May 16, 2013. Last report Thu Nov 21, 2013.
This report Tue Jan 14, 2014.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 4:19 AM

What the view might look like

The obvious inspiration for the Pump House Tower is the Hearst Tower in NYC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hearst_Tower_(Manhattan)

I really like the Hearst Tower,, A heritage building with a beautiful glass tower "designed by" Norman Foster. This video is taken from inside a condo across the street on a low floor,, so I suspect the view for people next door to the Pump House will be similar. Reminder: as Bart said in an article no city guarantees to preserve views,, and in fact I would love to live in this suite with a view of the Hearst Tower(rent for $2800/month). As usual many people in Winnipeg use words like "monstrosity", "abomination" and "blight on the area" to describe architecture,, to me eyes sores are miles of strip malls and logos.

http://youtu.be/WjwvmHzXD-0

What do you think of the comparison to the Hearst Tower?

Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 2:23 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman View Post
What do you think of the comparison to the Hearst Tower?
Not sure what similarities you see with that comparison.

They are both completely different IMO.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2014, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
Not sure what similarities you see with that comparison.

They are both completely different IMO.

Completely Different?
Both have glass towers built on top of historic buildings.
Both have exposed diagonal columns.

The colour of the renders are different,, however reflective glass changes colour with the sky. The Hearst Tower appears a deep blue when there is a blue sky and grey with grey sky.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2014, 4:11 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman View Post
Completely Different?
Both have glass towers built on top of historic buildings.
Both have exposed diagonal columns.

The colour of the renders are different,, however reflective glass changes colour with the sky. The Hearst Tower appears a deep blue when there is a blue sky and grey with grey sky.
The Hearst Tower wasn't built on top of the existing building.

The facade was just used.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan