HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
Is the moon southern because Neil Armstrong taught at UC?
Is Atlanta northern because many people there don't have Southern accents?

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 6:00 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
just a note: north of memphis into the bootheel all the way to nearly cape girardeau, mo whete the ozark uplift meets the mississippi valley is the delta and culturally the “real” south. the town my mother grew up in in southeast mo is 50/50 white/black and they grow cotton and rice. this is distinct from the ozark uplift which is basically appalachia.
hey now, i was just thinking of directly below cinci to the south, that there is an appalachia well in-between, but there ya go.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 6:06 PM

SE MO is Deep South. Everything along the MS feels Deep South, well into MO. Very black, cotton everywhere, shotgun homes, towns segregated by RR tracks, the whole bit.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 9:17 PM

There is a handful of rural counties at the southern edges of Missouri and Illinois that are around 30% Black.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 11:14 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
There is a handful of rural counties at the southern edges of Missouri and Illinois that are around 30% Black.
charleston, mo where my mom grew up which is about 6,000 people is an archetypal delta-type city in SE missouri which is (barely) majority black. cairo across the river is 2/3 black although southern illinois overall isnt the same as SE missouri.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 11:39 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
hey now, i was just thinking of directly below cinci to the south, that there is an appalachia well in-between, but there ya go.
yeah i know the roads between the ohio river and say lexington or bowling green and its appalachian-y. i don't recall seeing cotton, etc. far western kentucky is a bit different.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2020, 12:24 AM

The bootheel of MO is Southern as hell.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2020, 6:40 PM
BANNED

Ohio is an interesting state and I'm most familiar with Cincinnnati and Cleveland.

While not ''southern'', Cincinnati did have a ''southernish'' vibe to it. Haven't been there in a bit, but the latest version of OTR with millenials moving in and bringing their rather generic non-uniqueness with them, makes Cincinnati much like any other city in this respect. Not sure this can offset the otherwise conservative metro area but it may help with the rather soft-southern twang that can exist among the locals. Other parts of the metro and areas to the west, east, and south can have a harder southern accent.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions