HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 2:05 AM
BANNED

I’m all for shaking things up.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 1:35 PM

Sandra Masters would be great!!!

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 2:15 PM

Does she have a website or anything with stated policy positions?

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yveseluj View Post
This is my main point of concern with her. And certainly as the campaign goes on it might change. But from her announcement, all I saw were broad platitudes, I struggle to see how she is different from Fougere at all other than a "fresh face".

She wants to revitalize downtown, ok, how would you do that? She wants to bring in new businesses, great, how do you want to do that? Provide value for tax dollars, cool, what will you support cutting or changing?

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 3:06 PM

Quote:
sandraformayor.ca

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 3:20 PM

Her website has zero details.

All in all, very low quality field of candidates.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
Her website has zero details.

All in all, very low quality field of candidates.
Still feeling change is needed for the mayors office.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegger View Post
This is my main point of concern with her. And certainly as the campaign goes on it might change. But from her announcement, all I saw were broad platitudes, I struggle to see how she is different from Fougere at all other than a "fresh face".

She wants to revitalize downtown, ok, how would you do that? She wants to bring in new businesses, great, how do you want to do that? Provide value for tax dollars, cool, what will you support cutting or changing?
Agreed, this might be a bit of a red flag. I agree with her platform on the surface but the absence of any details and how she'll achieve her goals is concerning. Plus the fact she is announcing her candidacy so late makes me think she hasn't fully fleshed out a strategy that is actually achievable.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBoy View Post
Agreed, this might be a bit of a red flag. I agree with her platform on the surface but the absence of any details and how she'll achieve her goals is concerning. Plus the fact she is announcing her candidacy so late makes me think she hasn't fully fleshed out a strategy that is actually achievable.
Again, my opinion on this can certainly change a lot if more information comes out. But the slickness of the website and announcements, contrasted with no detail and priorities that seem to appeal to everyone, gives me the impression this is just a chance for her to raise her public profile before jumping to another level of politics.

If she starts adding more details, and discusses how she would vote or vote differently on city issues, I might change my mind.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 11:17 PM

The simple fact that she didn't say she would try to freeze property taxes and Fougere did is reason enough.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 View Post
The simple fact that she didn't say she would try to freeze property taxes and Fougere did is reason enough.
I agree with your sentiment there. My issue is she DIDN"T say anything about property taxes, just.... we will get you value for money (whatever that means). At least I know where Fougere stands on the issue.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 3:54 PM
Canadian Urbanite

Election is coming up fast....
Masters seems to be the most likely to unseat Fougere - but what is the likelihood that this might actually happen? It's always tough to beat an incumbent...

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF View Post
Masters seems to be the most likely to unseat Fougere - but what is the likelihood that this might actually happen? It's always tough to beat an incumbent...
Always tough to say, especially when turnout is so low. Last election was 20% I think? I would guess this election will be 15% or lower. If the city made it easy to vote by mail, I think it would be higher, but their process is still ridiculous.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 5:09 PM

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...oral-1.5770088

As someone who used to take the bus every day, and still takes it downtown regularly. This seems like an ok idea, waiting on 11th avenue for a bus is not great and people walking on the sidewalk are often stuck behind people waiting for a bus... however, I am undecided if the Lorne street plan will improve anything. Anyone else have thoughts on the matter.

The walkway to the stadium seems like a no-brainer as it was supposed to be built anyway.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegger View Post
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...oral-1.5770088

As someone who used to take the bus every day, and still takes it downtown regularly. This seems like an ok idea, waiting on 11th avenue for a bus is not great and people walking on the sidewalk are often stuck behind people waiting for a bus... however, I am undecided if the Lorne street plan will improve anything. Anyone else have thoughts on the matter.

The walkway to the stadium seems like a no-brainer as it was supposed to be built anyway.
I'm like you, Kegger. I used to take the bus to work - in fact, two buses to get there and two buses to get back home. I still take the bus to downtown three times a week, as well as to get to other locations as need be.

I actually think the transit stops along 11th Avenue works very well, and am against them being moved to Lorne Street. To me, that would be an awful change. First of all, why are merchants wanting it moved? Most likely because their customers complain that they can't pull up to the door of their business? What a load of crap! Having the buses stop along 11th Avenue brings a lot of business to these merchants. If I have to do a transfer, I can easily wait 30 minutes for the next bus and run into a store in the Cornwall Centre, and then head back to my bus. There is no way that this would happen if I had to walk two or three blocks each way.

Fougere seems to think buses block traffic and people crossing the street(!)
First of all, buses do not stop in the middle of a pedestrian crossing. The only time it might seem like they do is when there is an idiot ahead of them blocking the lane or pedestrians jay-walking. Having the buses stop along 11th Avenue also brings a sense of security to many people ...safety in numbers, so to speak. And Fougere also stated in this article that it is "simply just around the corner, just half a block away". What nonsense! The buses line the street from Scarth Street Mall all the way to Lorne Street. That's two blocks. There is also more shelter from the buildings along 11th Avenue, and places you can duck into if the weather is bad.

Anyway, I think this is a bad idea and will be calling Mayor Fougere's Speak Out line to let him know my feelings.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF View Post
Rumor has it she is doing well.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 8:29 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draftsman View Post
I'm like you, Kegger. I used to take the bus to work - in fact, two buses to get there and two buses to get back home. I still take the bus to downtown three times a week, as well as to get to other locations as need be.

I actually think the transit stops along 11th Avenue works very well, and am against them being moved to Lorne Street. To me, that would be an awful change. First of all, why are merchants wanting it moved? Most likely because their customers complain that they can't pull up to the door of their business? What a load of crap! Having the buses stop along 11th Avenue brings a lot of business to these merchants. If I have to do a transfer, I can easily wait 30 minutes for the next bus and run into a store in the Cornwall Centre, and then head back to my bus. There is no way that this would happen if I had to walk two or three blocks each way.

Fougere seems to think buses block traffic and people crossing the street(!)
First of all, buses do not stop in the middle of a pedestrian crossing. The only time it might seem like they do is when there is an idiot ahead of them blocking the lane or pedestrians jay-walking. Having the buses stop along 11th Avenue also brings a sense of security to many people ...safety in numbers, so to speak. And Fougere also stated in this article that it is "simply just around the corner, just half a block away". What nonsense! The buses line the street from Scarth Street Mall all the way to Lorne Street. That's two blocks. There is also more shelter from the buildings along 11th Avenue, and places you can duck into if the weather is bad.

Anyway, I think this is a bad idea and will be calling Mayor Fougere's Speak Out line to let him know my feelings.
I agree 100% and I too am a frequent rider to and from downtown.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 9:07 PM

It'll be a two-horse race between Masters and Fougere, I imagine.

As for removing buses from 11th Ave., I'd rather they go in the exact opposite direction and make it bus only with super wide sidewalks that are partially covered at points. Lean in to making it a hub.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 11:51 PM
BANNED

Quote:
It'll be a two-horse race between Masters and Fougere, I imagine.

As for removing buses from 11th Ave., I'd rather they go in the exact opposite direction and make it bus only with super wide sidewalks that are partially covered at points. Lean in to making it a hub.
That would have been feasible if the city didn’t screw up 12th Ave.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
That would have been feasible if the city didn’t screw up 12th Ave.
I agree 100%

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan