HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Mar 14, 2023, 4:39 PM

Why is there even a need to do feasibility studies on sidewalks anyhow? Allowing pedestrians safe walking spaces now is up for debate?

This city's bureaucracy is unbelievable sometimes. Just lay down the damn concrete. It's not that hard to understand the benefits.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2023, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukonLlama View Post
Why is there even a need to do feasibility studies on sidewalks anyhow? Allowing pedestrians safe walking spaces now is up for debate?

This city's bureaucracy is unbelievable sometimes. Just lay down the damn concrete. It's not that hard to understand the benefits.
This sounds so familiar. Feasibility studies identify reasons why building sidewalks are too expensive.

I was told something similar that a sidewalk could not be built because it would block drainage even though the road drained to the opposite side from where the sidewalk was to be built.

They are looking for excuses to not act and we need to pay staff to support inaction.

As I have said, a fatality is a sad excuse to finally get action, but is all so common. The bridge underpass at Billings Bridge is an example even though it predictably needed to be blocked off from public use for almost half the year because of potential flooding.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2023, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multi-modal View Post
What are you talking about? What feasibility study, what sidewalk, what priority? Be specific.
A sampling:
Feasibility study of a sidewalk along Buena Vista Rd from Springfield Rd to Lisgar Rd.
Feasibility study of a crossing of Banner Rd at Nancy Ave.
Feasibility study of pedestrian crossings of Colonnade Rd near Nepean Pond Park and 38 Colonnade Rd.
Sidewalk along Merivale Rd between Pineglen Cres and MacFarlane Rd and feasibility study of a pedestrian crossing of Merivale Rd at Brookdale Ave.
Feasibility review of a pedestrian crossing of Tapiola Cres east of White Clover Priv.
Feasibility study of pedestrian crossings of Walkley Rd at Heron Rd and Canterbury High School.
Feasibility study of pedestrian facilities along Provost Dr from McCarthy Rd to Thorndale Dr.
Feasibility study of pedestrian facilities along Echo Dr from Bank St to Colonel By Dr and a crossing of Colonel By Dr.
Feasibility study of pedestrian facilities along the south side of Heron Rd from Walkley Rd to the existing sidewalk.
Pathway from Russell Rd to Sheffield Glen Park path. Feasibility review of a crossing of Southvale Cres at Sheffield Glen Park.
Feasibility study of sidewalk along Constance Bay Rd between Allbirch Rd and Bayview Dr.
Feasibility study of pedestrian facilities along Meadow Dr from Greely Community Centre to Parkway Rd.
Yes, all of these are feasible.

That will be, I dunno, $900,000 in very expert sidewalk feasibility study moneys, please.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2023, 5:31 PM

Quote:
You realize the evaluation of transit projects are in the next phase of the TMP, don't you?
You do realize that there isn't actually any transit project even on the drawing board stage for that huge chunk of supposedly "equity priority" area east of downtown to be evaluated in the first place, don't you?

Old Posted Mar 16, 2023, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
You do realize that there isn't actually any transit project even on the drawing board stage for that huge chunk of supposedly "equity priority" area east of downtown to be evaluated in the first place, don't you?
The TMP is what puts things on the drawing board. If you think nothing will be evaluated for that section of the City you are hopelessly pessimistic.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2023, 5:50 PM

Quote:
The TMP is what puts things on the drawing board. If you think nothing will be evaluated for that section of the City you are hopelessly pessimistic.
Hopelessly realistic, is more like it.

Maybe there'll be one or two GPS-connected signals added to the stroad portion of Montreal Road. But that's about it. The Montreal Road rebuild that is (almost) complete rules out any improvement to transit on that corridor for the lifetimes of anyone reading this post.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2023, 5:52 PM

Quote:
A sampling:
Feasibility study of a sidewalk along Buena Vista Rd from Springfield Rd to Lisgar Rd.
Feasibility study of a crossing of Banner Rd at Nancy Ave.
Feasibility study of pedestrian crossings of Colonnade Rd near Nepean Pond Park and 38 Colonnade Rd.
Sidewalk along Merivale Rd between Pineglen Cres and MacFarlane Rd and feasibility study of a pedestrian crossing of Merivale Rd at Brookdale Ave.
Feasibility review of a pedestrian crossing of Tapiola Cres east of White Clover Priv.
Feasibility study of pedestrian crossings of Walkley Rd at Heron Rd and Canterbury High School.
Feasibility study of pedestrian facilities along Provost Dr from McCarthy Rd to Thorndale Dr.
Feasibility study of pedestrian facilities along Echo Dr from Bank St to Colonel By Dr and a crossing of Colonel By Dr.
Feasibility study of pedestrian facilities along the south side of Heron Rd from Walkley Rd to the existing sidewalk.
Pathway from Russell Rd to Sheffield Glen Park path. Feasibility review of a crossing of Southvale Cres at Sheffield Glen Park.
Feasibility study of sidewalk along Constance Bay Rd between Allbirch Rd and Bayview Dr.
Feasibility study of pedestrian facilities along Meadow Dr from Greely Community Centre to Parkway Rd.
Yes, all of these are feasible.

That will be, I dunno, $900,000 in very expert sidewalk feasibility study moneys, please.
You are probably right that they most/all are feasible, but I'm also sure there is some reason staff think they are more challenging than the other projects. I wish City staff were bolder and more assertive, but I think that hope went out the window when the City elected the current Mayor.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2023, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Hopelessly realistic, is more like it.

Maybe there'll be one or two GPS-connected signals added to the stroad portion of Montreal Road. But that's about it. The Montreal Road rebuild that is (almost) complete rules out any improvement to transit on that corridor for the lifetimes of anyone reading this post.
Recent history would say you may be right, but I hope you are wrong.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2023, 11:03 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Ottawa's new transportation plan must not overlook South Orléans
Development in my ward accounts for one-fifth of current new development across the city. Yet our transportation infrastructure isn't keeping pace.

Catherine Kitts
Published Apr 25, 2023 • 3 minute read

Ottawa Council is set to vote Wednesday on the city’s Transportation Master Plan (TMP, Part 1). It’s a document that will guide how people, vehicle and goods move through our city for the next 25 years. While it aims to improve transportation infrastructure across the city, it is vital that the east end is not forgotten in the process.

South Orléans has seen tremendous growth. Blink and you’ll miss an entire subdivision rising out of a formerly vacant field. I am told by city planning staff that development in my ward accounts for one-fifth of current new development across the city. However, our transportation infrastructure has struggled to keep up with the rapid pace of development. As a result, our residents face daily challenges with traffic congestion, inadequate public transportation options and limited, unsafe active transportation infrastructure.

It is high time to lift the east end from mobility poverty to mobility possibility.

Last year, council passed an ambitious New Official Plan. Front and centre in the city’s strategy for managing growth in Ottawa was the idea of creating 15-minute communities: where daily and weekly needs can be accessed through connected walking, cycling and efficient transit routes. Increasing the share of trips by sustainable modes of transportation is a laudable goal and is supported by most residents I speak to.

But, for that to be achievable, those options need to exist.

Current transit options in South Orléans and its surrounding rural area are limited, with persistent long wait times and unreliable service. A typical commute from South Orléans to downtown pushes 75 minutes on a good day, one way. City-owned lands reserved for a bus-rapid transit corridor in South Orléans remain vacant due to our longstanding stalemate with the NCC over the Brian Coburn extension — not to mention an under-utilized park-and-ride facility in Chapel Hill South, with few routes that justify its existence.

The Orléans community values active transportation, including walking and cycling, as a means of reducing congestion, improving health and promoting sustainability. However, our current active transportation infrastructure is also inadequate, with disconnected bike routes and lack of walkable amenities and employment. Of the TMP Part 1’s 244 identified active transportation projects, only five reside in Orléans South-Navan. This hardly takes a run at resolving the connectivity discrepancy in an area experiencing rapid growth.

Instead, South Orléans is plagued by traffic congestion. This has led to longer commutes, increased emissions and reduced quality of life. If we want to encourage sustainable transportation and a true modal shift in car-dependent neighbourhoods, we must invest in them. The greatest opportunity for modal shift is in developing communities where travel routines and patterns have yet to be cemented. Instead, we are building car-dependent communities.

We cannot shame suburban and rural residents for choosing to travel by car if we offer no other option.

The next phase of the TMP must include strategies to address the pressing traffic congestion east-end commuters contend with daily. City transportation staff have given assurances that they view the Brian Coburn extension as a necessary road link to meet future growth needs, but residents of Orléans know that the project is needed now. We have reached the tipping point where our roads are becoming unsafe. And while our planning policies are formed around a theoretical modal shift, the rapid pace of development is not hypothetical. It is happening.

City staff has made it clear that the plan is meant to be a living document, to be flexible and reviewed every five years to respond to our needs. We must remember that we want our growing communities to develop in a healthy way. Residents want access to reliable, efficient and sustainable transportation options, so let’s give it to them. Together, we can build an overall transportation network that enhances the livability and sustainability of our community for generations to come.

The policies and frameworks we’re considering today will determine how we move around the city until 2046. My hope is that it sets my community up for success once and for all.

Catherine Kitts is the city councillor for Orléans South-Navan and the vice-chair of the city’s Transportation Committee. Reach her at: catherine.kitts@ottawa.ca.

https://ottawacitizen.com/opinion/ki...-south-orleans

Old Posted Apr 26, 2023, 2:33 AM

I really wish central Ottawa wards had councillors.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2023, 12:16 PM

Kitts is obsessively focused on the Brian Coburn extension. We can add sidewalks to Navan, improve bus service to the Chapel Hill Park and Ride, build much of the Cumberland Transitway WITHOUT the Brian Coburn extension. It's not the end all be all. It is important (Renaud is a complete mess), but it's not the only thing that can be done.

So how about focusing on what can be done for now instead of building a bunch of pointless roundabouts everywhere.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation