HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 4, 2020, 8:03 PM

Slow pace on the demo

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted Jun 5, 2020, 1:17 PM
What could go wrong?

I've been told lots of interior demo work going on behind the walls. Apparently there are a team of skid steers running around in there.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 3:34 PM

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 3:54 PM

Thanks for the update.

Based on the renders I find the whole thing bleak and uninspired. Just a couple of rectangle boxes, everything white.

Sorry for the negativity...but it's just directed at the design. I'm excited this whole development is happening.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 4:40 PM

I really like the design and agree that it would be better with way less white.

Also, just because you’re being critical doesn’t mean you’re being negative. World desperately needs more critical thinking.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2020, 1:42 AM

Where are these from? While the white would look nice near the WAG, I agree it looks really out of place there in the Exchange. Could just be for demo purposes.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2020, 2:57 PM
keep the good times going

So is this still a market? Looks like another food hall... Not that I don't like these food halls but I was looking forward to an actual market.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2020, 3:19 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by peg View Post
So is this still a market? Looks like another food hall... Not that I don't like these food halls but I was looking forward to an actual market.
Honestly
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Jun 11, 2020, 3:20 PM

^ Me too, I love food halls but I'm dying for an actual market in the surrounding downtown area. I'm hoping Mottola Grocery steps in for that a bit but I'm getting worried that its going to be just a place to buy prepared meals and not raw ingredients - which is really what I want. Plus, I think the Common and Hargrave St Market probably fill the demand for the food hall experience in Winnipeg. I could very well be wrong though.

It could be that they try and do a bit of a mix to try and keep the space lively throughout the winter months - half market, half food vendors. I'd be fine with that too.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2020, 11:12 PM

Not to mention the Forks also as competition for a food hall

Old Posted Jun 12, 2020, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peg View Post
This was the last publicly availble information regarding 'the market'.

Instagram

Old Posted Jun 12, 2020, 2:04 AM
surely you agree with me

Not a food hall.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2020, 2:05 AM
surely you agree with me

I don’t love the white south facade either. They are solar panels. Like the ones that will be on red river. The rest of the building is yellow brick.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2020, 2:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
I don’t love the white south facade either. They are solar panels. Like the ones that will be on red river. The rest of the building is yellow brick.
Weren't the Red River ones the first of their kind in NA?

*edit* Here is the arcticle on the Red River solar panels.
Quote:
From the wings of a butterfly comes inspiration for Winnipeg building’s façade
EAH SINGER
SPECIAL TO THE GLOBE AND MAIL
PUBLISHED DECEMBER 2, 2019

The scales on the wings of the Morpho butterfly inspired a Swiss company to develop a glass covering for solar panels, and Winnipeg’s Red River College – currently undergoing expansive redevelopment – will be the first in North America to benefit from the research.

Like the butterfly’s bright scales, which shift colour in flight, the Kromatix-branded coloured glass panels will conduct and conserve energy as their hue changes with the light. Red River College is building a new facility, across from the main campus, which will incorporate the glass technology.

Kromatix was created seven years ago by Swissinso S.A. in partnership with the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Lausanne to address aesthetic and technical problems with photovoltaic solar panels.

“No architect or building owner would accept ugly black solar panels … on the surface of their building,” says Rafic Hanbali, chief executive officer of Swissinso.

Colouring the solar panels with paint would only decrease their efficiency, he explains, and there were durability concerns, such as colour fading.

“Kromatix solved both issues by using an atomic [physical, as opposed to pigment] design deposited inside the solar glass to create a structural colour.”

A bronze-gold colour was selected for the Red River College project to complement the red masonry of Winnipeg’s historic Exchange District, where its new Innovation Centre will be located. The Centre is slated to open next fall.

The wall of photovoltaic panels will save the college an estimated 18 per cent in annual energy consumption.

The building will be a 100,000-square-foot expansion to the existing downtown campus.

Michael Leckman, of Diamond Schmitt Architects, who together with Number Ten Architectural Group took on the $95-million project, appreciates the dual purpose of the glass.

“The glass-covered photo-voltaic wall panels will not only create electrical energy, but keep out the weather,” he says.

With this new construction, the college is striving to be LEED Gold-certified, says Maria Mendes the college’s senior project manager.

“The project aims to foster sustainable growth by limiting the college’s footprint with a near net-zero energy building,” says Ms. Mendes.

The gold hues of the panels are fascinating, she adds. “They will change depending on what angle you’re looking at – in all shades of gold.”
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/feat...ipeg-building/

Instagram

Old Posted Jun 12, 2020, 4:38 PM
surely you agree with me

sorry...I meant the ones going on the RRC innovation centre. They are a glass with PV internal to them.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2020, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
So is it a confirmed, final, done deal that they're building these buildings facing the wrong way?!

Old Posted Jun 12, 2020, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
So is it a confirmed, final, done deal that they're building these buildings facing the wrong way?!
The solar panels should face South..

I guess that’s just a SMALL detail still to work out!

Old Posted Jun 12, 2020, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labroco View Post
The solar panels should face South..

I guess that’s just a SMALL detail still to work out!
I meant more in relation to the street. We have a full empty block, all the new buildings should be oriented to the street (maybe with a courtyard too) in order to create a proper street wall. This is a horrible site layout.

The south part with the market should (has to anyway) stay, but the rest should be more like the initial massing plans with buildings that face and connect with the streets.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I meant more in relation to the street. We have a full empty block, all the new buildings should be oriented to the street (maybe with a courtyard too) in order to create a proper street wall. This is a horrible site layout.

The south part with the market should (has to anyway) stay, but the rest should be more like the initial massing plans with buildings that face and connect with the streets.
As I have said before... these lands really need to be set aside for Red River College. In the fullness of time the campus and students is what will most enrich the area and the City, not the best price. Community building is remediating the site and turning it over to RRC for a dollar.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 11:12 PM

Last edited by Labroco; Jun 15, 2020 at 11:29 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan