HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 14, 2020, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Water and sewer would be the only impediment.
Yeah, good point...that would have to be a pretty significant obstacle given that even houses in the City of Winnipeg around there (McCreary Road) are not connected to municipal water/sewer systems so the trunk lines must be a pretty fair distance away. But eventually the scales will tip to the point where it becomes worth it for the RM, no?

Old Posted Aug 14, 2020, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Yeah, good point...that would have to be a pretty significant obstacle given that even houses in the City of Winnipeg around there (McCreary Road) are not connected to municipal water/sewer systems so the trunk lines must be a pretty fair distance away. But eventually the scales will tip to the point where it becomes worth it for the RM, no?
Aside from connecting to the system, it's likely the RM would either have to pay the City of Winnipeg to utilize capacity in the City's water and wastewater facilities, or the RM would have to build their own facilities. I'm guessing that the RMs don't want to build their own facilities given the costs associated, so utilizing City capacity would be my guess, but the City has very limited capacity right now.

Also, building regional roads through subdivisions would also be expensive as there doesn't seem to be any in that area aside from Mcgillvary.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2020, 6:22 PM

All of the surrounding RMs now have municipal sewer and water systems (in one form or another).

Most of the land is owned by developers (and has been for decades) and is being rented by farmers. I worked on a phase of Oak Bluff years ago and was told that Qualico had been sitting on that land since the early sixties.

I think MacDonald will be the first to have a major residential development inside the perimeter. Of course I am not counting east or west st. paul. Rosser has been openly anti-residential subdivision. And Springfield has been developing more in a large lot, rural residential way.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2020, 6:25 PM

St Mary’s & perimeter

Hi all, been on this site for years. I was just wondering if anyone knows when pre prep for the interchange at st Mary’s starts? When I say pre prep I mean the house on the east side of st Mary’s getting demolished. It looks like the owners are still living there?

Old Posted Aug 14, 2020, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipegger View Post
Aside from connecting to the system, it's likely the RM would either have to pay the City of Winnipeg to utilize capacity in the City's water and wastewater facilities, or the RM would have to build their own facilities. I'm guessing that the RMs don't want to build their own facilities given the costs associated, so utilizing City capacity would be my guess, but the City has very limited capacity right now.

Also, building regional roads through subdivisions would also be expensive as there doesn't seem to be any in that area aside from Mcgillvary.
Rosser and West St Paul are connected to the city sewage system.

The Cartier Regional Water Co-op provides water to the west and north of the city from the Assiniboine River in St. Eustache.

The city is not allowed to sell its water because the agreements with the band involved in the Shoal Lake aqueduct.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2020, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post

The Cartier Regional Water Co-op provides water to the west and north of the city from the Assiniboine River in St. Eustache.

The city is not allowed to sell its water because the agreements with the band involved in the Shoal Lake aqueduct.
Fair enough, but RMs maintaining water and waste infrastructure for their existing users which grow at a very slow rate annually versus adding a master-planned subdivision with 10,000 units similar to Waverley West are two very different situations.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2020, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipegger View Post
Fair enough, but RMs maintaining water and waste infrastructure for their existing users which grow at a very slow rate annually versus adding a master-planned subdivision with 10,000 units similar to Waverley West are two very different situations.
I agree, it would be hard on them to service large developments. On a side note, it is surprisingly cheap to install sewer or water pipe across vast distances by directional drilling. There have been a number of jobs in the last ten years with more than 20 kms of pipe to install in a single contract. Since Walkerton the feds have been paying for a lot of the water system upgrades in rural areas.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2020, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post

Some of the disagreements about selling water outside the city were before the Shoal Lake band 44 access road was approved and the band and other native organizations were not allowing changes the water to be sold as a way to pressure the city to put money up for the road.

There may be less opposition now for water sales that the road is complete.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2020, 8:42 PM

^For Rosser the ship has sailed, the infrastructure has been built. There is enough water for Centreport and then some. The industrial area west of Rt 90 around Inkster is all Cartier water already.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2020, 9:17 PM

I guess parts of the Tache/Springfield area in the east and south of the city could be serviced from Winnipeg

Old Posted Aug 15, 2020, 4:51 AM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
I guess parts of the Tache/Springfield area in the east and south of the city could be serviced from Winnipeg
True. I know that at least lorette has its own water and sewer system already that could probably run to the edge of the municipality if need were to arise. Unlikely scenario to ever hit the need for it, but theoretically possible nonetheless
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Aug 15, 2020, 5:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
True. I know that at least lorette has its own water and sewer system already that could probably run to the edge of the municipality if need were to arise. Unlikely scenario to ever hit the need for it, but theoretically possible nonetheless
Lorette has a water shortage:

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/hot-dry-...clipId%3D64268

Old Posted Aug 16, 2020, 2:28 AM

Does anyone know what their working around the south perimeter at Kenaston and Waverly intersections? It looks like they put down some limestone around here:

I'm guessing they are merging the two intersections?

Old Posted Aug 16, 2020, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric19 View Post
Does anyone know what their working around the south perimeter at Kenaston and Waverly intersections? It looks like they put down some limestone around here:

I'm guessing they are merging the two intersections?
They are building an access road from Waverly St to Brady Rd. Intersection of Perimeter and Brady Rd will be closed and speed on Perimeter raised back to 100.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2020, 12:07 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn99 View Post
They are building an access road from Waverly St to Brady Rd. Intersection of Perimeter and Brady Rd will be closed and speed on Perimeter raised back to 100.
I am happy to hear~

Old Posted Aug 16, 2020, 2:48 PM

^^^That is good news. I remember seeing something about that on the news a while back. Those little acces points are dangerous. One area I find a bit dangerous is on the north perimetter is between brookside and the exit to highway 6. I have seen people slowdown to get off very quickly turning their signal on at the last minute. The rest of the north perimeter is good, at least they have overpasses on most major streets. Would be nice to have the entire perimeter turned into a freeway though.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2020, 3:34 PM

Here is the news release from MIT

https://news.gov.mb.ca/news/index.html?item=48899

Old Posted Aug 16, 2020, 5:44 PM

Any news on the south perimeter at st Mary’s and the perimeter?

Old Posted Aug 16, 2020, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpgstvsouth94 View Post
Any news on the south perimeter at st Mary’s and the perimeter?
I haven't heard anything new since they announced it at the end of June.
They are currently working on a design study for the overpass which should be completed sometime later this year.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2020, 3:25 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Here is the news release from MIT

https://news.gov.mb.ca/news/index.html?item=48899
It says in that article an update on the “South Perimeter Highway Design Study” is expected this summer.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan