HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 7:50 AM
ARTchitecture

Awe jeez thanks yall! I really do want to visit Saskatoon! It's so funny how I've literally never heard a bad thing about your lovely city from anyone. Funny because, you know, it's a smaller city and usually people just find smaller places boring. But everyone I know who has been there just enjoys Saskatoon for what it is and experience the sites and culture.

My bf lives in Nashville and when he comes up here for a visit, we're gonna do a road trip and maybe come out to Saskatoon, sometime this year possibly! Looking forward to seeing construction progress on Nutrien Tower in person!

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 3:12 PM

Hope your BF's next trip will be in summer....might be too much of a shock for him to experience cold like we are having now! Holy Shite.

you should plan around the Jazz festival, if possible...always an exciting vibe in city then and great time of year to visit.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 10:09 PM

A little info on river landing east tower... due to the cold weather the crane will not be operating over -25 on the dot ambien temperature. at -20 the crane can only operate in 1st gear and carry loads at half capacity. also the next slab pour will not be till next week when temps finally warm up if they even do. also on another note it is said that Pagnotta industries, the guys building the structure of the towers have also got the 7 story that Meridian is doing near broadway and also the new 17 storey on Broadway that got approved.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 10:12 PM

Nutrien tower foundation will start in bout two months here.. there will be a tower crane going up in bout six weeks, one will be a peiner grey and white and the other tower crane will be going up is a wolf "red crane" , so there will be two tower cranes for the Nutrien tower, there will also be an elevated concrete pump climbing with the building, same as what was on Children's Hospital job.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 8:21 PM

Alt hotel now open! I guess they are waiting a bit to have an Official Opening...or maybe they don't do that??

https://www.althotels.com/en/saskatoon/

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
Alt hotel now open! I guess they are waiting a bit to have an Official Opening...or maybe they don't do that??

https://www.althotels.com/en/saskatoon/
Nice, easy to use website. Not sure if it's an introductory offer, or simply seasonal, but their rooms are pretty affordable until the end of March. From now until then, it's $139 + taxes for a single King and $159 + taxes for 2 Queens any day of the week. Come April, their rates jump to $189 weekdays and $169 weekends for the King and $209 weekdays and $189 weekends for the double Queen. Still not outrageous by any means but a big bump from the early rates.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2019, 9:00 PM

View from inside KPMG

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 12:54 AM

Feb. 10 Pictures:

You can see in roryn1's picture and the picture below that they have cut several new openings into the parkade. There has not been a lot of progress since my last update. It seems to me that last year they were pouring the top half of the condo in Jan-Mar, and there were no weather delays (at least none that I noticed).

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 9:21 PM

As a university student in Ontario who is planning on returning to Saskatoon, this project almost single handedly makes me excited to return home. This project, along with the major renovation of Midtown, and eventual decision on arena/library will vastly change the downtown as we know it. It's a great sign that as a young person, I see the appeal of living in downtown Saskatoon now as opposed to buying a single dwelling in the burbs.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 6:38 AM

There is some apparently new info. in this article: https://renx.ca/triovest-saskatoon-r...t-final-stage/

The East Tower and the Nutrien Tower are both around 60% leased. The Nutrien Tower's other anchor tenant will be TD bank, who will have a bank on the 1st floor and also lease the 3rd floor. The East Tower will also have banks, restaurants, and will already open in fall of this year.

Also the rendering in the article appears a bit more up to date, with the tower proportions correct in relation to each other.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 7:35 AM

“A 60 per cent lease-up at this stage of construction is strong, he said. “Every tenant in that building has come out of a D- or C-class building.”

“Saskatoon is a smaller market. There is a place for that lower class and there is always a tenant for that product class.””

Ooo that’s a sucker punch to Saskatoon Square lol. I hope the building owners read that haha. I’ve met one of the owners this last summer and there is a large sense of smugness over the quality of their tower.

They mention insurance, I wonder if it’s just a retail insurance tenant from another part of downtown or a tenant currently in... the suburbs???

I’m also really hoping that gym they mention in the smaller tower is open to the public and is either one of the chains. I know we have a few gyms downtown but they aren’t modern generic chains which are very necessary. As much as I would want Motion Fitness to go there as they have all the locations here, GoodLife would be better for incentivizing tenants and people to downtown from out of city. Evolution Fitness is Regina’s equivalent to Motion here and they have a gym in the Hill Tower downtown - they are an insanely nicer gym than Motion... we are really stuck with the quality of Motion, but they’ve stolen anough market share to be a monopoly in this city and dissuade GoodLife from expanding

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 5:07 AM

Where in Saskatoon is the Nutrien office presently located and will they be bringing in more staff (new hires or transfers) to fill out their 8 floors in the new tower?

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 7:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hired_goons View Post
Where in Saskatoon is the Nutrien office presently located and will they be bringing in more staff (new hires or transfers) to fill out their 8 floors in the new tower?
At the Scotia Centre on 1st Ave. From my knowledge they are at capacity in that building, but from the hiring I’ve seen so far, it will be very minimal new hiring in the short term anyway. I used to work at the Scotia Center and the services and amenities there are a dump - this will be a very big upgrade to the staff so it will definitely incentivize people from Calgary’s crappy suburban office to move here.

I also wouldn’t be surprised if Canpotex which is in the Scotiabank building on the 2,3,&4th floors left once their lease expires to be closer to Nutrien as that Scotia building specifically is a dump - the walls don’t even have insulation and they just finished what they considered a major renovation lol. The people renovating buildings downtown need to be sent to a larger city and go on a company crawl through their downtowns - the renovations I’ve been seeing are so embarrassing. I’m serious - SREDA needs to forcibly pay using tax dollars to send some of our richest individuals in this city on a crawl that walks them through modern commercial infrastructure to open their eyes. That would never happen, but it needs to be done lol.

The mall needs to buy that whole Scotiabank Center and attach it with an underground tunnel.

Last edited by roryn1; Feb 20, 2019 at 8:06 AM.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2019, 1:34 AM

Fins beginning on the 5th? floor that will add some needed texture:

The intended effect (although it appears that it's not going to look exactly like this):

Source

Old Posted Feb 27, 2019, 6:30 AM
ARTchitecture

I love that they're going with the larger water feature. That's gonna be so nice to skate on in the winter, and wade through in the summer. Hopefully it's not just a bunch of stuffy corporate pricks hanging around it with security stopping people from enjoying it.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2019, 2:31 PM

Hey Chadillaccc
As nice as that rendering of the plaza may look, it is my understanding there has been no decision on the final design of it yet. I also like the extensive reflection pool that provides opportunity for use in summer and winter.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2019, 3:13 PM

Yeah, I should point out that the rendering is a couple years old and is conceptual re: the plaza.

These are the latest images of K.W. Nasser Plaza from Nadi Design:

https://www.nadi.design/portfolio/river-landing-plaza

Old Posted Feb 27, 2019, 3:42 PM

Does anyone know if the roof area on the ALT Hotel is even designed for the "patio use" as depicted in these renderings. I did not think so, but would be very cool if there was access out onto that roof for cocktails and appies!!!

Last edited by prairieguy; Feb 27, 2019 at 5:03 PM.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2019, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
Does anyone know if the roof area on the ALT Hotel is even designed for the "patio use" as depicted in these renderings. I did not think so, but would be very cool if there was access out onto that route for cocktails and appies!!!
I don't remember seeing them in the plans, but who knows what has been updated. Though the residential units adjacent to the patio might not be too happy having it there.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2019, 5:04 PM

Agreed....I think there was some "artistic license" taken with these renderings, as I don't believe there is a patio function for that roof area.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan