HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 1, 2017, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bess View Post
Some nice aerial shots of interchanges in Saskatoon

http://www.saskatoonpics.com/Aerial/...es/i-5DGpxGD/A
Nice photos! Thanks for posting that link.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2017, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Some nice aerial shots of interchanges in Saskatoon

http://www.saskatoonpics.com/Aerial/...es/i-5DGpxGD/A
wow beautiful pictures. Did you take these?

do you mind if i share the link so some people outside this forum? if thats you who took these pictures.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2017, 5:18 PM

Share with whom ever you want the person should be stated in the link. I did not take these pictures, wish I did.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 3:11 PM

curious pointless question, but if someone knows

when does the city start to re-name major roadways?

since we have boychuk/#16 interchange under construction right now, at what point does Highway #16 east/west be given a name.

can the city right now establish a name for lets say #16 east? from the highway 11/16 interchange, theres a fair drive out east..i just refer to it as #16 east. or do we have to grow a little more east beyond costco for the city to consider re-naming the road.

if anyone knows...not important, just one of those ?'s

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellk12 View Post
curious pointless question, but if someone knows

when does the city start to re-name major roadways?

since we have boychuk/#16 interchange under construction right now, at what point does Highway #16 east/west be given a name.

can the city right now establish a name for lets say #16 east? from the highway 11/16 interchange, theres a fair drive out east..i just refer to it as #16 east. or do we have to grow a little more east beyond costco for the city to consider re-naming the road.

if anyone knows...not important, just one of those ?'s
Those segments of road are still technically outside of the city limits, so until the city legally annexes the land they are on I doubt they have the jurisdiction to name them.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 9:41 PM
Unregistered User

Is there really a need to rename Hwy 16? There are plenty of places where roadways are referred to exclusively by their Highway names... Highway 97 in Kelowna, for example, or the entire network of 400-series highways in Ontario (including the ones passing through urban areas).

Maybe it's just lingering resentment over the hasty and inappropriate renaming of Dalmeny Road to Neault Road...

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phone View Post
Is there really a need to rename Hwy 16? There are plenty of places where roadways are referred to exclusively by their Highway names... Highway 97 in Kelowna, for example, or the entire network of 400-series highways in Ontario (including the ones passing through urban areas).

Maybe it's just lingering resentment over the hasty and inappropriate renaming of Dalmeny Road to Neault Road...
Nope no need to rename, i could care less if they did or not. Just curious on how the process goes for major roads like #16

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 10:47 PM

You could call or email the City to ask. They have a page on "Naming Saskatoon", along with a phone number and email address:

https://www.saskatoon.ca/community-c...ming-saskatoon

Old Posted Aug 5, 2017, 12:52 PM

Highway 16 is also known as the Yellowhead Highway. Problem solved. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellowhead_Highway

The highway is named for the Yellowhead Pass, the route chosen to cross the Canadian Rockies. The pass, and the highway are named after a fur trader and explorer named Pierre Bostonais. He had yellow streaks in his hair, and was nicknamed "Tête Jaune" (Yellowhead).

Old Posted Sep 9, 2017, 7:21 PM

Key east-side Saskatoon interchange work behind schedule

Phil Tank, Saskatoon StarPhoenix
September 8, 2017

Work on a new interchange that will play a key role in traffic flow on Saskatoon’s east side when a new bridge opens next year has fallen behind schedule.

The City of Saskatoon held a news conference Friday and issued a news release saying work on the interchange at College Drive and McOrmond Drive is not on track to be completed by the Oct. 31, 2018 deadline.

[........]

Read more:
http://thestarphoenix.com/news/local...ehind-schedule

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 5:25 PM

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Both of these interchanges are needed big-time. No question.

The same could be said, however, of a new interchange at Idylwyld and Marquis. When the North Commuter Parkway Bridge opens next year, huge waves of traffic are going to be barrelling down Marquis toward the traffic lights at that intersection creating potentially massive line-ups and waits. How this interchange wasn't built simultaneously with the North Commuter Bridge is beyond me.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 6:11 PM

id like to see #16 west and marquis done as well.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutopian View Post

The same could be said, however, of a new interchange at Idylwyld and Marquis. When the North Commuter Parkway Bridge opens next year, huge waves of traffic are going to be barrelling down Marquis toward the traffic lights at that intersection creating potentially massive line-ups and waits. How this interchange wasn't built simultaneously with the North Commuter Bridge is beyond me.
I think an interchange at Marquis and HWY 16 is definitely needed, but I don't expect traffic counts to increase in any significant way at that intersection when the commuter bridge opens because the vast majority of commuters to the north end work to the East of hwy16. However I do expect worse bottlenecks at Marquis and Idylwyld Dr - this location should definitely have been part of the commuter parkway project.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 7:41 PM

Yes but it is also a major tarnsportation route out of town. It still sees a ton of traffic headed to and from Alberta, western and northwestern Sask. It might not get the rush hour commuter traffic like highway 11 but I would say it stays is consistantly busier throughout the day. Either way you're 100% correct we need at least 1 in the north end overpass and marquis and 11 seems like a logical starting point.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskatoonborn View Post
Yes but it is also a major tarnsportation route out of town. It still sees a ton of traffic headed to and from Alberta, western and northwestern Sask. It might not get the rush hour commuter traffic like highway 11 but I would say it stays is consistantly busier throughout the day. Either way you're 100% correct we need at least 1 in the north end overpass and marquis and 11 seems like a logical starting point.
I agree that an interchange at Marquis and Hwy #16 is much-needed. However, since the intersection of Marquis and Idylwyld is on the direct commuter route for the 20,000 people living in Warman and Martensville AND is connected via Marquis (North Commuter Bridge) to the 40,000 people living in Saskatoon's northeast neighbourhoods, I would suggest that this interchange should be built first.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutopian View Post

Very much agreed! I travel through that intersection every day and I'm not looking forward to seeing what happens when the new bridge opens. It would also be nice to have an interchange there that could incorporate traffic from 71st St so they could close off that intersection from being able to have traffic cross there--so dangerous.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 5:15 PM

I may be mistaken, but I think that the plan is to close off 71st St access to Idylwyld once the Marquis/Idylwyld interchange is eventually built. It certainly is dangerous.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 7:40 PM

Echoes you are right on some of it, the Riel industrial sector plan has 71st as a right in and right out only at Idylwyld freeway

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 8:08 PM

Got it! Thank you!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan