HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 7:49 PM

Cannabis Retail Stores

This must have flown under the radar somehow, but someone was asking about the Cannabis Stores in the city. Found this on CBC:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...ions-1.4809583

Old Posted Sep 12, 2018, 5:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet1991 View Post
This must have flown under the radar somehow, but someone was asking about the Cannabis Stores in the city. Found this on CBC:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...ions-1.4809583
Thanks Skeet!
Saw that article - and it was me that posed that question originally. Not a user myself, but very interesting in legalization from a business perspective. So far this is all that I’ve been able to find as well (this article that you posted). I know Tweed, Canopy Growth Corp.’s rec brand, is having a career fair on Thursday at the Bessborough, thinking I might attend to see if I can find out where their “RM of Corman Park” location is based - their job postings say the jobs are based out of Saskatoon and that’s why I’m curious.

Cheers!

Old Posted Sep 12, 2018, 1:30 PM
the heat goes on

Quote:
Originally Posted by justabusinessstudent View Post
Thanks Skeet!
Saw that article - and it was me that posed that question originally. Not a user myself, but very interesting in legalization from a business perspective. So far this is all that I’ve been able to find as well (this article that you posted). I know Tweed, Canopy Growth Corp.’s rec brand, is having a career fair on Thursday at the Bessborough, thinking I might attend to see if I can find out where their “RM of Corman Park” location is based - their job postings say the jobs are based out of Saskatoon and that’s why I’m curious.

Cheers!
do you a link for details on tweed’s event at the Bess?

Old Posted Sep 12, 2018, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macca View Post
do you a link for details on tweed’s event at the Bess?
Interesting timing, as the federal Liberal caucus is also staying at the Bess.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 2:10 PM

Whitecap Dakota First Nation broke ground Thursday on a new $38-million hotel and convention centre, slated to open in 2020.

The hotel and convention centre is expected to generate $8.5 million in annual revenue, providing 230 construction jobs and 150 jobs once open.

“We have a master plan for a Dakota Dunes Resort,” Bear said. “The next phase after that (the hotel)will be the spa project that we will announce once market analysis has been done.”

https://www.ckom.com/2018/09/13/38m-...-resort-chief/

That's really exciting to see they are finally planning on making this a resort. I personally would go there a lot more if it was more of a place to hang out for a weekend versus having to drive so far away. I think a Nordic Spa like they're also planning would definitely bring people from out of town. I would definitely go there a few times everywinter if their plan is to have outdoor winter spa pools.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 2:33 PM

College and Clarence Development public meeting

I didn't think I would be free to attend, but I did go....and sadly as I had anticipated there were approximately 70 NIMBY's in the room. The proposal itself is a decent enough 12 story building with 4 levels of underground parking (interesting note: a geo/seismic company actually reported the construction of the underground parkade would contribute to INCREASING the stability of the river bank).

I thought North Prairie did a very good job in their presentation doing their best to "sell" the project to the crowd and utilized external consultants for the geo/seismic reporting, traffic patterns, water and sewage and has hired a design firm with experience in mid to high rise infill development.

Following the presentation, speaker after speaker from the floor spoke to their concern over how this will change the "culture" of the neighborhood and traffic issues. I admit that College Drive and Clarence at that location can become a bottle neck, so maybe more thought needs to be given to access in and out of building, but hardly a strong enough reason to kill this project....which is what it appeared most in the room wanted to do.

One especially disappointing comment....which fully supports the NIMBY lablel...was from a gentleman that said build it somewhere else so it doesn't negatively impact his property value!? sheesh

I hope that once more detail is out about this project....even thought it is North Prairie .....that folks on this forum lend their voices of support for infill projects of this nature. The location is "brown field" empty lot....sits on the corner of 2 major arterial roads....will be along a BRT route....and add density to our core and provide housing options to those looking to walk to work (uni, downtown, hospitals).

I literally was only one of about 3 people that supported this project out of approx 70. The community association held a vote at end to see who supported and who opposed...had issue with that too, as my experience has always been meetings like this tend to attract mostly the detractors while supporters remain quiet/absent.

Anyway...that is the update. I certainly hope this project is not killed by such a negative response on basically one issue being traffic.

Councilor Cynthia Block was in attendance and has renderings on her Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/CynthiaBlockWard6/

Last edited by prairieguy; Sep 14, 2018 at 2:48 PM.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post

I didn't think I would be free to attend, but I did go....and sadly as I had anticipated there were approximately 70 NIMBY's in the room. The proposal itself is a decent enough 12 story building with 4 levels of underground parking (interesting note: a geo/seismic company actually reported the construction of the underground parkade would contribute to INCREASING the stability of the river bank).

I thought North Prairie did a very good job in their presentation doing their best to "sell" the project to the crowd and utilized external consultants for the geo/seismic reporting, traffic patterns, water and sewage and has hired a design firm with experience in mid to high rise infill development.

Following the presentation, speaker after speaker from the floor spoke to their concern over how this will change the "culture" of the neighborhood and traffic issues. I admit that College Drive and Clarence at that location can become a bottle neck, so maybe more thought needs to be given to access in and out of building, but hardly a strong enough reason to kill this project....which is what it appeared most in the room wanted to do.

One especially disappointing comment....which fully supports the NIMBY lablel...was from a gentleman that said build it somewhere else so it doesn't negatively impact his property value!? sheesh

I hope that once more detail is out about this project....even thought it is North Prairie .....that folks on this forum lend their voices of support for infill projects of this nature. The location is "brown field" empty lot....sits on the corner of 2 major arterial roads....will be along a BRT route....and add density to our core and provide housing options to those looking to walk to work (uni, downtown, hospitals).

I literally was only one of about 3 people that supported this project out of approx 70. The community association held a vote at end to see who supported and who opposed...had issue with that too, as my experience has always been meetings like this tend to attract mostly the detractors while supporters remain quiet/absent.

Anyway...that is the update. I certainly hope this project is not killed by such a negative response on basically one issue being traffic.

Councilor Cynthia Block was in attendance and has renderings on her Facebook page:

I like it. Not too big, nor small, i hope this goes through and gets built.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 4:09 PM

Wow I actually like it haha. Is perfect design and size for that corner.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 4:19 PM

Not bad at all. One of the corner suites with the west-facing view would be pretty sweet.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 4:35 PM

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
Wow I actually like it haha. Is perfect design and size for that corner.
I like it too, at first glance in the distant render looking SW I thought ew, but the closer look reveals a nice building very suitable to the location. I think any traffic issues would have to do with the design of the arterial road network and not the usage/zoning of the parcels in the area, but there is plenty of ingress/egress with frontage, flankage and two rear lanes, plus it's residential so not like it demands commercial parking access and the kind of traffic that businesses would create.

I also don't think it will change the "culture of the area" in the slightest, though the UofS president may have some privacy concerns as the top floors on the north side will be able to peer directly towards the presidents house. And it might partially obstruct the view from the windows of the stairwell of the Ronald McDonald house.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 5:57 PM

Privacy was addressed at the meeting, as they had drone shots of the area from the proposed height of the building. Granted is was taken in summer months, but the point was made that the tree canopy in that area ensures privacy. They did comment that they were aware this would not be the same in the winter months, but offered that not many people are out using their backyards or decks in the winter.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post

Thanks for the update, prairieguy! Overall I don't mind the proposal at all.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 6:01 PM

Pics of Radiance Cohousing progressing nicely: https://twitter.com/britebuildings/s...87958256947201

Great little infill in an area sorely in need of reinvestment.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 6:58 PM

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 9:27 PM

As one would expect from the comments of the NIMBY's that showed up... Yup, that's going to make the neighborhood go to hell and completely tank property values in the area!! ....

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyku View Post
As one would expect from the comments of the NIMBY's that showed up... Yup, that's going to make the neighborhood go to hell and completely tank property values in the area!! ....
It's crazy, because it's a huge improvement over a vacant weed field. It's where people want to be and will only drive up the land value. It's not like it's a brothel, or crack house, or pub or night club... just a building full of middle class working professionals that will deter all sorts of illegitimate activity that probably goes on nightly in that area.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2018, 4:57 AM

As much as I’m excited for this Clarence/College project, something has me questioning if North Prairie will actually go through with it... they sure like to drag their feet

Old Posted Sep 15, 2018, 3:02 PM

Quote:
As much as I’m excited for this Clarence/College project, something has me questioning if North Prairie will actually go through with it... they sure like to drag their feet
I think this will be built before the WTC.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2018, 4:46 PM

Quote:
I would be more confident in this. North Prairie knows residential condos. This is more their cup of tea. This is a bit taller than their average building by quite a bit, but still they know how to market this thing.

They are not a big developer of commercial.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan