HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 19, 2010, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexrae View Post
The latest incarnation of the rumour I was:
1) Atlanta Thrashers (NHL) to Winnipeg
2) Manitoba Moose (AHL) to Saskatoon
3) Saskatoon Blades (WHL) to Winnipeg

And yes, it was dependent on the sale of the Moose to Saskatoon.
Sorry we'll keep the blades, WHL has a loyal following here, I'm sure the Moose can find a home elsewhere. Lots of cities in the US would like it.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2010, 3:22 PM
the first stamp is free

I don't get the Blades moving to Winnipeg as part of this plan. It doesn't seem to add up as I really doubt there is enough support for both NHL and WHL in this city.

A more realistic approach would be to move the Blades to another city in Western Canada without a hockey team, and the Moose moving to Saskatoon (assuming of course that the city wants the AHL over the WHL, which certainly is not a given).

Old Posted Feb 19, 2010, 4:32 PM
Saskatchewan's Largest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalreg View Post
Sorry we'll keep the blades, WHL has a loyal following here, I'm sure the Moose can find a home elsewhere. Lots of cities in the US would like it.
I will take the AHL over the WHL anyday. I would however like to keep the Blades name...

Old Posted Feb 19, 2010, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilley View Post
I will take the AHL over the WHL anyday. I would however like to keep the Blades name...
I think you might be disappointed. I love watching junior hockey. If the AHL was played with the same passion and junior I'd have a different opinion.

I'd sooner there was a junior team in Winnipeg over the AHL.

That said, not sure it is a wise idea to put junior team in competition with a new NHL team here.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2010, 3:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy old man View Post
I think you might be disappointed. I love watching junior hockey. If the AHL was played with the same passion and junior I'd have a different opinion.

That said, not sure it is a wise idea to put junior team in competition with a new NHL team here.
Hey Grumpy, I think the idea of WHL in Winnipeg along with NHL would be so hockey fans would have an affordable option to NHL... The AHL I think would still be too close in cost.... I know the Hitman make a ton of money for the Flames and get great crowds... All the people that don't attend Flames games...

Saying all that, I have not studied the demographics of if it would work in Winnipeg
----------Quebec City: 16 + 2 subsidiaries = 18
----------Ottawa: 15 + 1 subsidiary = 16

Old Posted Feb 20, 2010, 5:15 AM
Capitalist

First off, I doubt Saskatoon could support an AHL franchise. It is just too small of a market. I just don't see Chicago vs Saskatoon in the future anytime soon. I think it would make a good ECHL market though.

As far as the WHL in Winnipeg, I just don't see a massive demand for tickets to watch junior teams from Swift Current or Medicine Hat. I think some fans would go to watch, but overall I think most hockey fans in Winnipeg would not be all that interested in what many consider smaller town hockey.

With that said I don't think it would not be dificult to draw the required ~4-5000 fans a night with the lower junior hockey prices. It would draw the value minded sports fan, as the Goldeyes do in the summer. Get in the doors for 10 bucks and enjoy a good night of hockey.

If Winnipeg got its NHL back a WHL team might be worth considering. Winnipeg is not Chicago and could not support 2 pro hockey teams.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2010, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post

If Winnipeg got its NHL back a WHL team might be worth considering. Winnipeg is not Chicago and could not support 2 pro hockey teams.
I don't think you will have one without the other. It will be a package deal. Otherwise the Moose stay...

Old Posted Feb 20, 2010, 7:33 PM
visionary

the NHL will not return to winnipeg until a few years after the new CBA as the old one expires in the 2010 - 2011. I believe the NBA and NFL CBA are due at the same time. So I think the NHL will wait to see what those CBA are going to be like, the most likely scenerio corporate sponsorship dollars towards sports are going to be much lower as they are now since this current big recession we are trying to withstand.

Even if we get a team a team it will from relocation, I would strongly suggest as I have before and that is it has to create more revenue streams like the Toronto Maple Leafs have done by building a mix-use building like the toronto maple leafs have done with maple leaf square preferably condo since downtown needs alot of that.

Even the new owner of Lightning is a developer who bought land around the arena are a primary source of income to support the team. The oilers are looking to do the same.

Yes truth north has Powerhouse and the new Mooseplex are good developments that help subsidize the AHL team but those projects are not big enough to drive up revenue to help sustain a long future in the NHL.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2010, 3:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:

I could not have said it better myself. Good post, Grumpy.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2010, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
First off, I doubt Saskatoon could support an AHL franchise. It is just too small of a market. I just don't see Chicago vs Saskatoon in the future anytime soon. I think it would make a good ECHL market though.

As far as the WHL in Winnipeg, I just don't see a massive demand for tickets to watch junior teams from Swift Current or Medicine Hat. I think some fans would go to watch, but overall I think most hockey fans in Winnipeg would not be all that interested in what many consider smaller town hockey.

With that said I don't think it would not be dificult to draw the required ~4-5000 fans a night with the lower junior hockey prices. It would draw the value minded sports fan, as the Goldeyes do in the summer. Get in the doors for 10 bucks and enjoy a good night of hockey.

"IF" Winnipeg is big enough for NHL I would say Saskatoon would be big enough for the AHL.

Don't have to worry about it though, cause I can't see it happening any time soon.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2010, 2:00 PM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
"IF" Winnipeg is big enough for NHL I would say Saskatoon would be big enough for the AHL.

Don't have to worry about it though, cause I can't see it happening any time soon.
I'm not sure anyone has been able to actually answer this question, but why would the American Hockey League approve a team moving to Saskatoon? Especially at a time when the Albany River Rats are relocating to Charlotte, NC after 2 decades in Albany. Like, not to knock Saskatoon's viability as a hockey market, but wouldn't it make more sense for the Moose to move to Albany??

I mean really, thats where the whole thing falls apart for me...

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2010, 9:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distill3d View Post
I'm not sure anyone has been able to actually answer this question, but why would the American Hockey League approve a team moving to Saskatoon? Especially at a time when the Albany River Rats are relocating to Charlotte, NC after 2 decades in Albany. Like, not to knock Saskatoon's viability as a hockey market, but wouldn't it make more sense for the Moose to move to Albany??

I mean really, thats where the whole thing falls apart for me...
Well lets see? An NHL team in Winnipeg needs a farm team? Hmmmm? Saskatoon just an hour flight away or Albany? New York half a days travel? Hmmmm?

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out? If the Moose don't move I'm sure another team will in the not to distant future. Maybe Edmonton would like a farm team near by.....

Old Posted Feb 24, 2010, 1:00 PM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
Well lets see? An NHL team in Winnipeg needs a farm team? Hmmmm? Saskatoon just an hour flight away or Albany? New York half a days travel? Hmmmm?

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out? If the Moose don't move I'm sure another team will in the not to distant future. Maybe Edmonton would like a farm team near by.....
Edmonton announced before the Olympic break that they would have their AHL farm club play in Oklahoma City next season.

Saskatoon may be an hour long flight away from Winnipeg, but the league losing a long time franchise like the Albany River Rats is not good. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the Moose would most likely end up there before Saskatoon.

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2010, 4:14 PM

And the Moose of course aree the Farm club of Vancouver. If indeed Winnipeg were ever to get an NHL team, who knows where our farm team would reside.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2010, 6:55 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

brandon

Old Posted Feb 24, 2010, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distill3d View Post
Edmonton announced before the Olympic break that they would have their AHL farm club play in Oklahoma City next season.

Saskatoon may be an hour long flight away from Winnipeg, but the league losing a long time franchise like the Albany River Rats is not good. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the Moose would most likely end up there before Saskatoon.
I'm not sure how you've connected those dots. While I'm certain they'd be very disappointed at the loss of a long-standing team I doubt they'd stop a new team from joining the league (provided it is a viable team) just because they lost one.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2010, 10:18 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure how you've connected those dots. While I'm certain they'd be very disappointed at the loss of a long-standing team I doubt they'd stop a new team from joining the league (provided it is a viable team) just because they lost one.
Well said, but if the Canucks prefer to have their farm team on the other side of the continent so be it. Albany? Is a loss? Only to Albany.

Along those lines where is the NHL team in Cleveland to replace the lost team there?

Old Posted Feb 26, 2010, 3:56 AM

Quote:
Well said, but if the Canucks prefer to have their farm team on the other side of the continent so be it. Albany? Is a loss? Only to Albany.

Along those lines where is the NHL team in Cleveland to replace the lost team there?
Lets not forget that the Vancouver Canucks DO NOT own The Moose. True North Entertainment own The Moose. The Canucks just have an affiliation agreement with the Moose and that is it! That contract I am not sure when that expires... Anyone?

Old Posted Feb 26, 2010, 4:48 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegger5 View Post
Lets not forget that the Vancouver Canucks DO NOT own The Moose. True North Entertainment own The Moose. The Canucks just have an affiliation agreement with the Moose and that is it! That contract I am not sure when that expires... Anyone?
I'm sure it will expire once we regain an NHL team.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2010, 2:07 AM
surely you agree with me

Five words: thomson chipman richardson coyotes soon.

Very soon.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan