HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Yes it would be Urban Planet. My understanding is that there is one small tenant relocating from the mall and that they are working hard on a restaurant/bar that currently has no location in Regina, but there is nothing firm. There is no office component. They are building out the space for CRU tenants with the hope that once built and a few tenants are in place, others will follow.
Good. I want them to continue the mall concourse like how Midtown has. Much better for the mall.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan0myte View Post
Was Urban Planet the one that was in the Golden Mile prior to renovations? The bargain basement store with stark florescent lighting?
Yes. Teen focussed.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2019, 2:22 PM

Eddie Bauer in the Cornwall is closing. There’s going to be nothing left in that wing of the mall at this rate.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2019, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yveseluj View Post
Eddie Bauer in the Cornwall is closing. There’s going to be nothing left in that wing of the mall at this rate.
Just chatted with a worker there. Cornwall Centre increased the lease and wanted them to renovate as well which they didn’t want to. Saskatoon will stay open. The store does need a renovation though so boo to the company for not wanting to invest in their Regina property. The store will be open until later January.

Gong Cha tea is opening in the small space next to Laura Secord across from H&M on the second level. Good to have another tenant in that hallway and bubble tea will be nice for the mall and downtown.

Last edited by one_brick_at_a_time; Dec 27, 2019 at 11:46 PM.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2019, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
Just chatted with a worker there. Cornwall Centre increased the lease and wanted them to renovate as well which they didn’t want to. Saskatoon will stay open. The store does need a renovation though so boo to the company for not wanting to invest in their Regina property. The store will be open until later January.
Feel like Cornwall is vastly overplaying its hand. The mall renos were good (and long overdue), but they need some strong anchors... H&M, Lulu, Shoppers & the Bay aren’t enough. Gonna be hard to fill the Sears space with major tenants departing like crazy.

Rideau Centre in Ottawa reinvented itself from a mall that was starting to get run-down, to a high-end mall that can command equivalent rent. Cornwall is not Rideau, and downtown Regina is not downtown Ottawa (or Toronto or Vancouver).

Old Posted Dec 27, 2019, 11:42 PM

I also heard this weekend that Ardene’s is relocating into a new upper level Sears area space and Urban Planet is one of the main floor Sear’s space tenants. Dashed are my dreams of Urban Barn’s second Regina location being at the Cornwall Centre.

I still want Goodlife to open a 24hr gym at the Cornwall Centre but if not, Planet Fitness would be perfect.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2019, 7:19 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drofmab View Post
Feel like Cornwall is vastly overplaying its hand. The mall renos were good (and long overdue), but they need some strong anchors... H&M, Lulu, Shoppers & the Bay aren’t enough. Gonna be hard to fill the Sears space with major tenants departing like crazy.

Rideau Centre in Ottawa reinvented itself from a mall that was starting to get run-down, to a high-end mall that can command equivalent rent. Cornwall is not Rideau, and downtown Regina is not downtown Ottawa (or Toronto or Vancouver).
Yup, I feel the same. Given the amount of vacant space, it doesn't feel like the mall actually has any power to increase rents.

As far as stores needing renos go, the Bay is far and away at the top of the list. Mismatched tile, blackened ceiling tiles, tired outdoor display spaces, etc...

Old Posted Dec 28, 2019, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Yup, I feel the same. Given the amount of vacant space, it doesn't feel like the mall actually has any power to increase rents.

As far as stores needing renos go, the Bay is far and away at the top of the list. Mismatched tile, blackened ceiling tiles, tired outdoor display spaces, etc...
And all of the carpet needs to be replaced at the bay too!

Old Posted Dec 28, 2019, 7:55 PM

Quote:
And all of the carpet needs to be replaced at the bay too!
Would've been a great opportunity - like they did with the Source & Lulu - to move the Bay into the old Sears space temporarily, while they gut & refresh the Bay's space. As it sits now, they'd have to block off sections while renovating... subjecting shoppers & staff to noise & disruption.

Going back to the Rideau Centre reference, the Bay there was a duuuuump... not sure exactly how they did it, but it's been completely rejuvenated & looks modern, clean, and appealing. And, it's been full of shoppers the last few times I was there (where it was dying a slow death in the same out-dated space).

Old Posted Dec 30, 2019, 3:37 PM
Edan

Along with Eddie Bauer, Volcom is closing - citing lease rates as well as low traffic. I talked to the store manager there, and she said that a few other stores in the mall are set to wrap-up operations if lease negotiations don’t go as planned. West 49 and H&M are looking to close if Cornwall won’t lower their leases. HBC is planning to close underperforming stores across Canada, with Regina’s location on the chopping block.

Last edited by youngregina; Dec 30, 2019 at 3:49 PM.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2019, 3:48 PM

If they lose H&M and HBC, that would be catastrophic. Need to have anchors. According to the mall's contact us page, all the contacts are at Cushman & Wakefield. The mall is owned by the same people trying to sell Capital Point's lot. Real estate brokers would want to run the leases up.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2019, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngregina View Post
Along with Eddie Bauer, Volcom is closing - citing lease rates as well as low traffic. I talked to the store manager there, and she said that a few other stores in the mall are set to wrap-up operations if lease negotiations don’t go as planned. West 49 and H&M are looking to close if Cornwall won’t lower their leases. HBC is planning to close underperforming stores across Canada, with Regina’s location on the chopping block.
That is not how it works. H & M would have signed at least a 10 year lease. They can't just walk from it. Cornwall spent a fortune on their renos.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2019, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthGirl View Post
If they lose H&M and HBC, that would be catastrophic. Need to have anchors. According to the mall's contact us page, all the contacts are at Cushman & Wakefield. The mall is owned by the same people trying to sell Capital Point's lot. Real estate brokers would want to run the leases up.
Cornwall Centre is owned by KingSett Capital. It is managed by Cushman & Wakefield.

It would definitely be catastrophic to lose any stores let alone anchors. It doesn't sound right that H&M would consider closing because of their lease as I am sure they negotiated a long-term lease of at least 10 years. I could be wrong, but it just doesn't sound right to me.

Edit: Stormer beat me to it one minute before.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2019, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
That is not how it works. H & M would have signed at least a 10 year lease. They can't just walk from it. Cornwall spent a fortune on their renos.
Wouldn't surprise me if it was 15 years.

The only way H & M is leaving anytime soon is if the whole company goes down. As for the other retailers, the Cornwall will know all of their sales so they would negotiate based on that knowledge. If the mall wants them to stay, they will.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2019, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthGirl View Post
Honestly, HBC is probably a terrible anchor that isn't doing much for the other tenants. The problem is that there's no good replacement.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2019, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 View Post
Honestly, HBC is probably a terrible anchor that isn't doing much for the other tenants. The problem is that there's no good replacement.
I agree.

Here's a link to a somewhat interesting story from Fortune magazine on October 29th (written by Phil Wahba) regarding Hudson's Bay Company's attempt to win customers back:

https://fortune.com/2019/10/29/how-h...o-hudsons-bay/

"much of what Hudson's Bay's stores sell have come to be seen as blah and the same old, same old"

"it was the loss of competition at more than half of the malls where Hudson's Bay has a store that was a big culprit in the chain's downturn. After the Sears bankruptcy and liquidation in Canada in 2017, Hudson's Bay went after the Sears customers at the 53 malls where both chains used to have a store"

Old Posted Jan 6, 2020, 6:14 PM

Apparently there is so much asbestos at Hudson’s Bay under the floor tile and the rest of their space in Regina that they won’t renovate. They had to remove it at the Sears location overhaul which affected Shoppers not wanting to move because of having to pay for that cost. Now my hopes are dashed as knowing how cheap Hudson’s Bay is as a company, as if they would pay for the asbestos removal at their Regina location which would allow for new flooring and ceiling.

Bath & Body Works will be renovating (and taking over the Ardene’s next door) to add their White Barn banner and updated look to the Regina Cornwall Centre location.

Last edited by one_brick_at_a_time; Jan 6, 2020 at 6:32 PM.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2020, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Apparently there is so much asbestos at Hudson’s Bay under the floor tile and the rest of their space in Regina that they won’t renovate. They had to remove it at the Sears location overhaul which affected Shoppers not wanting to move because of having to pay for that cost. Now my hopes are dashed as knowing how cheap Hudson’s Bay is as a company, as if they would pay for the asbestos removal at their Regina location which would allow for new flooring and ceiling.

Bath & Body Works will be renovating (and taking over the Ardene’s next door) to add their White Barn banner and updated look to the Regina Cornwall Centre location.
This is a smart move for both retailers. Ardene is so jammed full of merchandise that the aisles are ridiculously narrow. If I was to attempt going down an aisle I would be emptying the shelves! Bath & Body is so busy that it gets congested, and waiting at the cashiers can be chaotic at times.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2020, 7:10 PM

For whatever reason, The Bay is opening up an hour later than the rest of the mall for "winter hours" from here on out.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2020, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yveseluj View Post
For whatever reason, The Bay is opening up an hour later than the rest of the mall for "winter hours" from here on out.
I noticed that today, but couldn't figure out if that was normal and I'd just never noticed (their website, Cornwall's, Google results, etc all list 10:30am); or if this was something new.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan