HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Looks like the new Manitoba Clinic building is hitting their top out. I didn't do a floor count but the next level going up seems to be using metal that I didn't notice on the other floors. I assume that is for the roof.
Bumped/thx for the update.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 3:11 PM

Very easy to see now as you crest the Slaw

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndoftheBeginning View Post
Very easy to see now as you crest the Slaw
Nice pic... you can also really see it looming when standing on Notre Dame in front of 201 Portage. It provides a good visual anchor downtown for HSC.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 6:16 PM

Strolled out for lunch and grabbed a couple pics.

The new hsc women's hospital also got some accent lighting added to the front loop

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 9:43 PM

Somewhat interesting the new Manitoba Clinic has fewer floors of office space than the old building. Seems to suggest bigger floor plates.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 1:18 PM
What could go wrong?

^^^ more than 3 times the size of floor plates
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 6:03 PM

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 7:12 PM

Sadly those railing on the parking levels seem to be the final planned finished. It would have been nice to see the parking fully enclosed with an exterior finish similar to the higher floors. "Value engineering" at work I am sure.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 7:21 PM

Ya they look permanent. Pretty sure this looks similar to the renderings. More utilitarian than anything. Just a parkade with nothing fancy.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 1:34 AM

Yeah, the building portion actually look significantly better than the renders IMO. But it does just seem cruel, and almost a waste of making the building that nice to finish the parkade like that.

I know a lot of people don't like the design of the steel over the Antares/former Place Louis Riel parkade... but that was a simple and very cost effective solution to covering an ugly parkade.

Even if it wasn't fully enclosed and matching the building, would be nice to see some effort put in to disguise it a bit. Especially with all of U of M's planned upgrades coming around HSC.

EDIT: Looking at the render it does look like maybe there's a chance of some finishing touches, maybe something similar to the mesh on WRHA Main parkade. Likely need those railings for code, regardless what goes on the exterior.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 2:41 PM

With all the announced changes to healthcare I think the new Manitoba Clinic will be close to the last new building in the HSC area. U of M has some work underway but I think most of their planned construction will be iced by the current government.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 3:34 PM

I was more referring to the new streetscaping initiatives and making the area more pedestrian friendly. Would the HSC campus not actually stand to benefit from this "concentration" of services by the Pallister government?

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 4:34 PM

In terms of the plans of the government a lot of the details are still to be made public. That said the previously announced CancerCare development is on hold and with Women's scheduled to move to a new building there is a bunch of space about to come online for reuse.

In terms of streetscaping, that is likely to hit the cut bin in a hurry. Sure it makes it more pedestrian friendly, etc but when you are cutting ER departments nice to haves like streetscaping are long off the table.

That said, McDermot through the HSC/U of M area really should be a 30 KM/H zone if those speed restrictions in school zones are all about safety. The stretch west of Sherbrook has far more pedestrian activity with people not crossing at controlled points than the section east of Sherbrook that is 30 KM/H by the schools.

Along those same lines the internal streets at the RRC, U of W and U of M campuses should all be classified as 30 KM/H stretches. I don't go buy it often but Tache near St B is likely another strong candidate for the lower speed too.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 7:13 PM
Heart of the Continent

isn't the UofM already 30?

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 8:12 PM

^^ U of M being 30 KM/H isn't totally enforceable. I think they try to skirt it by essentially calling it "private property" similar to a mall parking lot. That said the main routes like Chancellor and University Cres are definitely not 30 KM/H near IGF.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 2:55 PM

I took my kid to the doctor this morning at the Manitoba Clinic and there was a sign in the pediatrician's office that they will be moving to the new building effective November 17. To my eyes it looks like there is still some work to do on the outside, but I guess they must be closer than it appears at first glance.

I noticed they are putting a large Manitoba Clinic sign at the top of the building which will make it easy to identify, although it didn't look like the sign will be lit. The new building isn't what I'd consider a stunner, but I have to admit that it has impressive presence when you're on Notre Dame.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 3:00 PM

It sucks that they did such a crap job finishing the parkade floors, because the rest of the building looks good.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 3:04 PM

this thing is quite visible at night all lit up from way down notre dame. adds a little more depth to that approach to downtown

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
It sucks that they did such a crap job finishing the parkade floors, because the rest of the building looks good.
Good point. The upper part of the building is decent, but there wasn't much of an effort made on the lower levels to hide the fact that there's a parkade there.

For what it's worth I don't mind the parkade/clinic combo as it makes more efficient use of the land and pushes up the building's height which makes for a somewhat more impressive streetscape.

It would be nice to see HSC and its affiliated facilities continue to have more of a presence along Notre Dame. The Manitoba Clinic will really anchor the SE corner of the HSC campus.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 3:51 PM

In terms of patient experience the new Manitoba Clinic is going to be a huge leap forward. Outside of the newer addition for the pediatricians the existing building is like stepping through a worm hole into the 1950s.

In terms of HSC on Notre Dame, well that is essentially a pipe dream right now. The near term will be more or less status quo and likely less of a presence of Notre Dame when the Women's hospital finally moves to its new building. The previously announced CancerCare expansion, which wasn't on Notre Dame, has been cancelled. The only other plans publicly announced for the HSC campus where by U of M and building up its ends of the campus for nursing, school support staff and other programs outside the traditional medical faculties (ie their Community Health degree and likely a pre-professional program).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan