HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 3:26 AM

Do you ever open your mouth without the word Vancouver leaving it??!

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 3:31 AM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
So does this feel different than in 2016 when they evened the ECF series against Cleveland 2-2 by winning games 3 and 4 at home? The Raps got absolutely destroyed by the Cavs in games 5 and 6, but somehow I can't imagine that happening when they go back to Milwaukee.
I'm not the only one musing how this feels different from 2016.

Quote:
They have reached this precise point before – two wins in a conference final – but that was a full-on no-hoper against LeBron James & Co. in Cleveland. That was doomed from the start. Even the victories felt pointless.

They’re in this one. Though it’s tied at two games apiece, they may actually be up. After a comprehensive romp in the most recent game, which team would you rather be in charge of?

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...-hope-for-the/
Yeah, I recall that too. Those two home wins against the Cavs weren't as inspiring as the two home wins against the Bucks this year. And now with this game 5 win, well...

Better not get too excited and jinx it. Suffice it to say, though, that this win tonight doesn't feel like a fluke or a one-off. Toronto has looked like the better team these past three wins (duh), but most importantly, Kawhi has been exponentially better than Giannis, and Kawhi is on our side.

Giannis's time is yet to come. He's still young. He's got championships in his future. He'll learn from this.

Last edited by rousseau; May 24, 2019 at 3:47 AM. Reason: Grammar

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 3:53 AM

I'll continue to keep my mouth shut.

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 3:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman23 View Post
Do you ever open your mouth without the word Vancouver leaving it??!
What's your problem? This is a basketball thread in the Canada forum, not drool all over Drake and the Raptors thread. I'm one of those people who can't stand Drake, and right now he is a strong talking point. There are a lot of NBA fans that think he's a jack-ass. If I want to be critical of Drake in the Basketball thread, that's my prerogative.

By the way, your avatar picture has the word "Toronto" written on it, so we see that word every time you post. Not that anyone gives a shit but it seems to be something that bothers you.

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 4:12 AM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
What's your problem? This is a basketball thread in the Canada forum, not drool all over Drake and the Raptors thread. I'm one of those people who can't stand Drake, and right now he is a strong talking point. There are a lot of NBA fans that think he's a jack-ass. If I want to be critical of Drake in the Basketball thread, that's my prerogative.
You choose the very moment that the Raptors win the most important game in their history (so far) to respond to an old post that has nothing to do with it? While we're exulting over an amazing, feel-good win portending tantalizing things for the immediate future, you feel the need to talk like a jackass about something completely irrelevant to what literally just happened in Milwaukee?

You're a twat. Shut up already.

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 4:28 AM

Move this thread to the Toronto section if dissenting views about Drake or the Raptors are not welcome.

You're pseudo intellectual posts are embarrassing for you by the way. Constructive criticism.

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 5:14 AM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
That's my problem. I can't.

This is all such uncharted territory. When Milwaukee blasted out of the gates with a 16-4 lead I was miffed, but I didn't have that knot in the stomach like during previous playoff runs. One of the talking heads claims that Nick Nurse is a genius for putting Kawhi on Giannis beginning in game 3 (or did Kawhi demand that he be given the assignment?), and that that has made all the difference.

I think he's right. Kawhi is doing it on both ends of the floor. The man is blowing my mind with every game that he plays. The way he broke down Milwaukee's defense to get the shots he wanted in the second half was masterful. I feel honoured to be witnessing this right now.

Are the Raps the best defensive team in the league? Giannis hasn't had an explosive scoring game in the series yet, and aside from 30 points in game 4, Kris Middleton has been a pretty much a non-factor against Toronto. Oh, and Bledsoe hasn't done anything worthwhile either.

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 6:24 AM

That felt like a team-defining game. Everyone did their part when it came down to the wire and played lockdown defense, hit their shots, and made the right plays.

Home court for game 6 is going to be insane.

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
Move this thread to the Toronto section if dissenting views about Drake or the Raptors are not welcome.

You're pseudo intellectual posts are embarrassing for you by the way. Constructive criticism.
You ok, bruh?

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 1:24 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

I think this thread should stay in the Canada section. The Raptors are Canada's biggest basketball story by far.

While the Canada's Team schtick is way overblown (as such things always are), their appeal does go far beyond the GTA.

But I also think that both praise and criticism of someone like Drake is fair game on here. Especially if people who are fans of his want to use him as an example of Raptor-ian awesomeness. (He's not exactly an uncontroversial personnage like Shania Twain or even Céline Dion would be...)

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
LOL same.

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieFlowerpot View Post
You ok, bruh?

LOL love it!

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 2:30 PM

I don't think anyone criticizes Drake more than Toronto fans. I love what he does repping the city and the team internationally, and I guess part of that is having the spotlight on his personality courtside. Personally I wish he would do it from a box but not going to complain too much about it, especially since he seems to be living rent-free in Milwaukee's head right now.

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 3:02 PM

Drake's thing seems very genuine and straight from the heart... my fellow Winnipeggers will know what I mean when I describe him as the Raptors' Dancing Gabe... on that basis it is kind of endearing to see him worked up on the sidelines.

He's clearly a fan, he's loving this playoff run, good for him.

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 3:51 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

I don't care about Drake's antics around NBA games and teams. I would be more critical of his dealings with the shady side of the law, and the appropriateness as a result of making him your city's de facto civic rep to the world. But hey - I am just weird like that.

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 3:55 PM

The shady side of the law being extremely questionable relationships with underage girls?

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 4:06 PM
I am the law!

I find Canadians too easily embarassed by the actions of our celebrities. They are just people. Drake was incorrect with his conclusions in Vancouver. I can't blame him for not fully understanding the newly implemented rules. It's a good proactive law but, a weird one where innocence must be proven.

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 4:30 PM

I've been following the Raptors now that they are doing so well, not necessarily rooting for them, but still following nonetheless as it is significant for Canada's basketball landscape... I even shot some hoops this morning while at the gym ( went 0 for 10 from the 3 haha, tough sport...)

As far as the Drake situation goes, while it really is not a big deal, it is really unfortunate Drake has essentially put himself in the spotlight of the whole Raptors playoff run. It shouldn't be about him, whatsoever, yet he still puts himself front and center, and the media has run with the story. It's just annoying there is any story at all about Drake, especially being front and center, with the Raptors playoff push. Whether the Raptors end up losing out, or losing in the finals, or winning in the finals, the Drake story will be big. And it shouldn't be, at all, there shouldn't be any story. This is the Raptors time, not Drake's time. I just think it is super selfish of him, even though he is the Raptors ambassador, to put himself front and center.... my two cents!

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 4:39 PM

To be fair, the Raptors are the ones who gave him the stage. It's good for ratings and great for attendance so I don't think the team is bothered by him. Plus I'm sure most of the players and their GF's are more then happy to be hanging out with Drake after games and off season. Most people don't even pay any attention to him, in the playoffs he is invisible to the vast majority watching these games. It's all about the plays.

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
To be fair, the Raptors are the ones who gave him the stage. It's good for ratings and great for attendance so I don't think the team is bothered by him. Plus I'm sure most of the players and their GF's are more then happy to be hanging out with Drake after games and off season. Most people don't even pay any attention to him, in the playoffs he is invisible to the vast majority watching these games. It's all about the plays.
I’d agree with most of your points, except the bolded, exemplified by the discussion in this thread. New followers like me are paying attention simply because this controversy is front and center, and it’s annoying... the plays and excitement of the run is fun to watch though, not doubt about it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada