HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 3:46 AM

I was wondering the same thing. I am not familiar with how much area the Ex generally covers, but it looks like the only remaining spot for the fair is the parking lot in front of the Brandt centre. Would this even be enough room or will we be getting one of those mall parking lot fairs?

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Sky View Post
I was wondering the same thing. I am not familiar with how much area the Ex generally covers, but it looks like the only remaining spot for the fair is the parking lot in front of the Brandt centre. Would this even be enough room or will we be getting one of those mall parking lot fairs?
I don't think we even have a mall parking lot big enough for what the Ex usually is.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Sky View Post
The kids midway takes up a lot of space on its own, and the adults midway is several times larger. Then there are all the games and concessions as well. Anyway, it is way too large for any shopping mall parking lot. I think REAL is dreaming anyway about all of the developments. No one wants to live on the exhibition grounds, next to the railway mainline, and busy roadways.

Maybe we do need a monorail to transport people to/from EVRAZ after all? Haha

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 4:43 PM

https://www.620ckrm.com/2021/06/07/h...post-pandemic/

The last few weeks have been big ones for the City of Regina when it comes to investment.

Brandt announced it plans on hiring hundreds of new employees in Regina and Saskatchewan, Red Leaf Pulp has selected Regina for a $350 million wheat straw pulp mill, Cargill will be building a new canola processing centre here as will Viterra.

The four projects mean a lot of jobs will be coming to Regina with the city’s economy growing as a result.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 8:55 PM

I see they have started the new mcdonalds in the Aurora development. I also see they have started to clear the land in front of the old pump. Can someone confirm that is still the mosque going there?

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sastaunik44 View Post
I see they have started the new mcdonalds in the Aurora development. I also see they have started to clear the land in front of the old pump. Can someone confirm that is still the mosque going there?
The land on Vic where the former gas station was is a car wash, the Mosque is behind that, if it's still going ahead.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 2:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 View Post
The land on Vic where the former gas station was is a car wash, the Mosque is behind that, if it's still going ahead.
That'll make a couple new car washes just a few blocks from each other with Gopher Car Wash being in the old California Fitness (I think?) on Vic/Park.

Side note, I took my wife's car through the automated Gopher Wash to see what it was all about and far and away the best automated wash I've experienced. The car came out incredibly clean and the price beat Co-Op by like $4-5.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 6:49 PM

https://www.620ckrm.com/2021/06/08/283351/
Major typing error All three levels of government are contributing with the federal government contributing $891.13 million, the province $74.26 million and the Buffalo Pound Water Treatment Corporation, which is owned by both the cities of Regina and Moose Jaw coming up with the rest.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The mayor View Post
https://www.620ckrm.com/2021/06/08/283351/
Major typing error All three levels of government are contributing with the federal government contributing $891.13 million, the province $74.26 million and the Buffalo Pound Water Treatment Corporation, which is owned by both the cities of Regina and Moose Jaw coming up with the rest.
CTV reporting $89.13 million from the federal government - $222.83 million total for the project.

https://regina.ctvnews.ca/mobile/222...lant-1.5461258

Old Posted Jun 9, 2021, 3:26 AM

Driving on Lewvan today, and I noticed the first steel beam of a structure going up at Lewvan and 4th where the Bible College/Orr Centre used to be. The structure was in the south-west corner and depending on the concept plans below, it could be either a gas station or a restaurant with drive-thru.

Also, I've heard through the rumour mill that the U of S is looking to get out of teaching nursing in Regina and could be closing their building on the aforementioned site (the dashed building outline in the plans below.)

Here are a couple of marketing concept plans from ICR Commercial:

Older

Newer

Old Posted Jun 9, 2021, 3:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMB14 View Post
Driving on Lewvan today, and I noticed the first steel beam of a structure going up at Lewvan and 4th where the Bible College/Orr Centre used to be. The structure was in the south-west corner and depending on the concept plans below, it could be either a gas station or a restaurant with drive-thru.

Also, I've heard through the rumour mill that the U of S is looking to get out of teaching nursing in Regina and could be closing their building on the aforementioned site (the dashed building outline in the plans below.)

Here are a couple of marketing concept plans from ICR Commercial:

Older

Newer
Gas station for sure.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2021, 5:22 PM

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...gina-1.6056952
Former Regina Costco site to house car dealership, pending city council approval

Olympic Motors has requested the building be rezoned for a car dealership

Old Posted Jun 9, 2021, 5:28 PM

https://www.cjme.com/2021/06/09/work...ool-in-regina/

The provincial government put up $47 million for the building, which will house public and Catholic schools. Each school will be able to accommodate 400 students, with the ability to expand to 500 students each through the use of portables.

Argyle School will be two storeys in height, while St. Pius X will be three storeys tall.

“This unique design provides a distinct architectural personality for each school,” the government said in a media release.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2021, 9:48 PM

https://www.agcanada.com/daily/viter...her-for-regina

Some news on the 800 million dollar plant , The Regina plant would mark “the first time that we are constructing a greenfield facility” for canola crushing, Jeworski said.

Putting the Regina plant’s scope and size in perspective, Jeworski said, “if this facility was an export destination, it would be larger than our Japanese market for seed, larger than our Mexican market for seed… in an average year it would be our second-largest destination.”

The new plant would also feature “the latest technology,” he said, in terms of handling efficiency and limting emissions.

Unlike the Ste. Agathe and Warden plants, which specialize in expeller-pressed canola oil, the Regina plant would be a “traditional” hexane-extraction canola plant, he said.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2021, 1:18 AM

Quote:
For this kind of project, the company is looking at “access to sufficient labour, which Regina has, but on top of that (the site) has excellent access for both road and rail,” Jeworski said, noting the province’s recent investments in bypass infrastructure, which would allow the plant to “access canola seed from all directions very effectively.”
Yes, notably putting it in the one part of the city where the bypass isn't.

The corporate subsidy is still criminal.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2021, 6:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draftsman View Post
I think REAL is dreaming anyway about all of the developments. No one wants to live on the exhibition grounds, next to the railway mainline, and busy roadways.
I feel like REAL/the City just looked at Lansdowne/TD Place in Ottawa (their former Exhiitions grounds), and were like "yeah - that's great! Let's do it too!"

Landsdowne ground are a completely different ballgame. Smaller property, by far. Located in a desirable residential area (similar to Cathedral). Next to the Canal. Plenty of foot traffic already. Great views of downtown. Access to transit. Put it all together, of course people want to live in the condo there. And the restaurants/pubs/retail they built on the grounds are busy. It p*ssed existing neighbours off (think Cathedral), but they pushed ahead. That area has the best CFL stadium vibe in the country, by a mile.

Regina can try to recreate similar elements - but they can't lift the whole plan... it's not going to work, and it's just lazy.

(this, coming from a guy who routinely criticizes various public bodies in Sask - especially the City - of always claiming they need to create a "made in Sask" solution, rather than just calling up colleagues in other jurisdictions & asking for advice, plans, etc. In REAL's case, I think we actually need a unique plan.)

Old Posted Jun 10, 2021, 4:58 PM

Cushman Wakefield has been trying to lease the Grenfell Tower main floor retail units. No luck it seems and to me no surprise. That entire main floor store front facade needs an entire overhaul. I would love to see a full glass curtain wall aligned with the rest of the tower frontage. Those units are drab and outdated for this property to compete with the renovations to Harvard developments retail further north on Hamilton. If I had a business, I would not choose to locate to this dark and outdated space. Lockdown would have been a perfect time to work on this.

Last edited by one_brick_at_a_time; Jun 10, 2021 at 6:12 PM.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2021, 6:37 PM

https://regina.ctvnews.ca/hooplife-a...gina-1.5462177

A brand-new basketball facility will be bouncing its way into Regina as HoopLife Basketball is set to open a gym this September.

So much good news lately thank you

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 1:56 PM

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...site-1.6061371
Brandt Construction granted extension to clean up CNIB site in Regina's Wascana Park

I don’t know why they won’t A signature tower downtown making at the tallest building in the province abandon the building in the park

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 2:10 PM
BANNED

I'm sure with Brandt's recent expansion announcement, they could afford to not profit from a piece of our park they have been gifted by their friends in government. Sorry CNIB, find a new home.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan