HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 2:07 PM

You could argue that The Forks is "new" in that it has completely changed in terms of concept, design, it's licensed. Only one remaining tenant in Skinners.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
You could argue that The Forks is "new" in that it has completely changed in terms of concept, design, it's licensed. Only one remaining tenant in Skinners.
Yeah, fair enough. These days it probably has more in common with what TNS is doing than with 80s-style mall food courts.

I'm sure this hall will do boffo business before and after arena events... it felt like Cityplace and Portage Place's food courts weren't able to fully capitalize on that, partly because people don't really like sitting in 80s-style food courts.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 2:48 PM

Quote:
There is reason to be confident that with the right execution, this cosmopolitan concept will work in Winnipeg.
Well goooooooolly gee, mister. Normally I just drive ta the Costco on Reegint for my lunch, but maybe I could give this there thing a try. Be like my fancy brother who lives out'n Calg'ry, y'know. I mean, with all the money I save by wearing a rope for a belt I guess I could afford to try local foods for the first time ever. Thank you for believing in this little village of 800,000 people, Mr. Cash.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 2:54 PM

I especially hope the food market is a great success. If it is, I can see other specialty food markets ( bakeries, meat markets, etc.) popping up in the downtown area.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 3:15 PM

^ I'm curious about this Mottola Grocery. 5,000 sf is not huge, it's maybe the size of two 7-Elevens. I wonder if it will basically be a place to buy premade convenience foods, or if actually will have a decent range of groceries.

I currently drop in at Giant Tiger to buy the occasional few grocery items that I need in between bigger supermarket shops... I would appreciate having another option in that regard.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 4:06 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ I'm curious about this Mottola Grocery. 5,000 sf is not huge, it's maybe the size of two 7-Elevens. I wonder if it will basically be a place to buy premade convenience foods, or if actually will have a decent range of groceries.

I currently drop in at Giant Tiger to buy the occasional few grocery items that I need in between bigger supermarket shops... I would appreciate having another option in that regard.
I love the idea of the grocery component but I fear they might price themselves too high and not really be a viable place to do regular shopping. However if a company were to locate a store there that was like some European discount grocer (think Aldi or Lidl) they would probably be both cheap enough to attract a solid clientele and offer a wide-enough breadth of products to be a true full-service grocer. And if you look at how big these stores typically are, it isn't that big, you don't need 50,000 sq ft to offer a full range of products. Easily feasible with 10,000 and under
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 4:53 PM

There is still an LC opening in the podium?

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 4:57 PM
What could go wrong?

^^^ yes, out for tender right now.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
^^^ yes, out for tender right now.
Main level or second level with the food hall?

Instagram

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 5:10 PM

I wonder what type of retail they will attract to the two levels of space in 225 Carlton, having those store fronts active to the square with really animate the place.
The office space in 225 I wouldnt expect to be filled for a long time to come.

Instagram

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 5:10 PM
What could go wrong?

^^^ Unit 3 – Level 02 – 233 Carlton Street
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
you don't need 50,000 sq ft to offer a full range of products. Easily feasible with 10,000 and under
FYI Save On Foods on St James is about 35,000 sq ft and easily could be smaller still. For example shrink down the range of pop and snack foods. there are a couple of more or less dead aisle in the middle. Get rid of anything health and beauty.

[QUOTE=optimusREIM;8635669]However if a company were to locate a store there that was like some European discount grocer (think Aldi or Lidl)

I have said it before and will say it again, what Deluca's offers would be the perfect fit for downtown. They have fresh produce, bakery and meat counter and a very short list of dry goods. Dry goods are the type of thing you can order from Amazon and have sent to you with two day delivery. That said having talked to the owners there my feeling is they have no plans for something like that with their second location basically being their new base of operations. I sort of wonder if the core butcher shop and bakery might follow to the new location leaving just the service counters downtown.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
^^^ Unit 3 – Level 02 – 233 Carlton Street
Will city Place remain?

Instagram

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 8:08 PM

Quote:
5,000 square feet is just a touch smaller than the McEwan in the TD Centre in Toronto (I've seen estimates range from 5,000 to 6,500 square feet). The emphasis there by far is on premade foods.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 8:16 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavefromSt.Vital View Post
5,000 square feet is just a touch smaller than the McEwan in the TD Centre in Toronto (I've seen estimates range from 5,000 to 6,500 square feet). The emphasis there by far is on premade foods.
The Longos I go to north of Toronto City Hall might be about three 7-11’s in size. Mostly fresh food and premade meals, but you can also get cereal, Ritz crackers and soft drinks, albeit a small selection.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Yeah, fair enough. These days it probably has more in common with what TNS is doing than with 80s-style mall food courts.

I'm sure this hall will do boffo business before and after arena events... it felt like Cityplace and Portage Place's food courts weren't able to fully capitalize on that, partly because people don't really like sitting in 80s-style food courts.
Cityplace food court is packed before Jets games, and they actually have some decent spots int here now.

Quote:

Sounds like they will be more specialty foods and some limited produce. Lark is opening soon in the Exchange and sounds like it'll be in the same vain. Sky Convenience also has a small little grocery section. There's starting to be some decent quick options for groceries, it's just produce that always is the struggle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
I wonder what type of retail they will attract to the two levels of space in 225 Carlton, having those store fronts active to the square with really animate the place.
The office space in 225 I wouldnt expect to be filled for a long time to come.
My money is on Starbucks going in the unit at Carlton & Graham. They'll rake it in there, especially once TNS is 5 towers. I imagine with the Graham and P&M closings, there's lots of room for a few new downtown locations.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 8:46 PM
There is always a way

^ and in many places you can go even smaller and still offer a full range. I've shopped in places in major cities all around the world where you could buy fresh produce, meat, etc. essentially all the stuff needed to cook a good selection of meals, plus snack products and a fairly impressive selection of premade foods and baked goods all in a CRU the size of a few office cubicles put together.

Edit: I should add that all of these other places also will sell you wine and beer or some limited selection of alcohol, for a small fraction of what it would cost here no less. I don't understand how Europe (for example) of all places has alcohol so cheap whereas here we get routinely gouged for it (I can guess a little bit as to why but still have a hard time comprehending the full difference)
Federalist #10, James Madison

Last edited by optimusREIM; Jul 18, 2019 at 9:18 PM.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 8:48 PM

Totally. I think what Miller's does is perfect, and could see a downtown location for them working actually. Butcher, fresh local breads and baking, decent produce selection, packaged goods. It really doesn't take much – not everyone needs 38 ketchups to choose from.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 10:31 PM

Get rid of pop and snack foods? Those are big money makers. 25 cent Coke is $1.50 plus tax if you grab it from the fridge. This new food place shouldn't be a threat to our local grocery store on Donald.

I go to Giant Tiger for milk because I can't stand open coolers.

I look like a Giant Tiger shopper. Will I be allowed in TNS?

Beer is no good for you, therefore 1 dollar beers are doubly no good for you.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
Will city Place remain?
No, the City Place web site shows that space currently taken by the LC to be available for rent February 2020

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan