HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 3:16 AM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed Solomon View Post
Anyone know what's being built behind the old empty Hangers building on Panet Rd next to the Princess Auto?
Goodlife Fitness.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 4:05 AM
Celebrating 50 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Goodlife Fitness.
interesting. Shapes is right across the street. That's true competition.

Old Posted May 23, 2012, 6:05 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION RBC-Dominion Securities moving on up

Taking top floors of 201 Portage

By: Geoff Kirbyson
Posted: 1:00 AM

THE penthouse of Winnipeg's tallest skyscraper is preparing to welcome a new tenant.
RBC-Dominion Securities has signed a long-term lease to move into the top three floors and part of the 24th floor at 201 Portage -- the former offices of Canwest Global Communications -- this fall.
Alan Dunnett, branch manager of the local brokerage arm of Canada's largest bank, said there are a couple of reasons behind the move. First, its business is growing, so it needs more space for the 90 people currently on the payroll. Second, the chance to relocate into what is widely considered the nicest office space between Calgary and Toronto -- he'd be sure to get an argument from Hartley Richardson across the street -- was too good to pass up.
"It's a fantastic space. It's a great building and a little newer than the one we're in," Dunnett said, adding the firm will begin telling its clients about the move in the coming weeks.
"For Portage and Main, which is where we would prefer to be, this was the best space in one of the best buildings."

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...152943435.html

Old Posted May 23, 2012, 7:25 PM

That's great news. I remember 2 years ago I took my brother in law there right before Canwest left. It was his first time in the city, and he said he wanted something he would never forget. I didn't know if we could, but on the 30th floor I just explained the situation, and asked if we could walk around the penthouse. It was amazing, everything seemed to be made of glass, including the tribute to Israel which was a carving of his face. The spiral staircase was also very magnificent. I would love to go up there again.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2012, 1:56 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION Surprise buyer to keep Arctic Glacier and its workers in city

By: Martin Cash
Posted: 1:00 AM

t looks like Arctic Glacier and its 50-plus-person head office are staying in Winnipeg. In a surprise twist in Arctic's court-sanctioned search for a buyer, Miami-based private-equity firm H.I.G. Capital came up with the best offer for the Winnipeg-based packaged-ice company, effectively ending its two-year-long quest for recapitalization.

All of Arctic Glacier's employees will be offered jobs in the new company that will be created.
Many people close to the proceedings expected rival ice company Reddy Ice of Dallas would make the best offer. That company had publicly stated its intention to buy Arctic's assets to merge the two largest ice companies in North America.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...158289425.html

Old Posted Jun 11, 2012, 3:17 AM

What ever happened to Newflyer?

Old Posted Jun 11, 2012, 3:51 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
i don't know

all the emails i have for him have bounced back when i have tried to contact him sadly wish i knew what happend to wane.

i have a bad feeling he had a heart attack

Old Posted Jun 11, 2012, 4:33 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
I too asked about him about a year ago, 1ajs has tried to make contact with no success.

Seems we have lost quite a few of the original Winnipeg thread regulars over the past couple of years. Archseek, NewFlyer, Riverman....

Old Posted Jun 11, 2012, 3:07 PM

Anyone who was a teenager in the 90s might remember this...

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dark-Zone/138985536164154

Rumour has it Dark Zone is coming back again. There's a twitter page, facebook page and under construction website about it. This is the fourth time I've seen "concrete" plans its coming back though...and every time the person has either been playing a prank or has bit off more than they could chew.

Hopefully it's happening though...the kids could use something else to do in the city.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2012, 11:25 PM

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2012/06/1...e-at-dark-zone

apprantly therell be two new family fun centrss like dark zone opening kinda like pladiums i guess

Two groups say they’re bringing separate laser tag businesses to Winnipeg, although both were scarce on details Monday.

Representatives of Dark Zone have confirmed they’re building a new location. There hasn’t been a Winnipeg laser tag business since Dark Zone closed nearly a decade ago.

“We have been working tirelessly for the better part of almost two years on this project and as I’m sure you can understand, timing is everything when launching a new business. It has truly been Winnipeg’s best kept secret for almost two years now,” representatives said Monday.

“We will be releasing more and more information in the coming days and weeks via Twitter and Facebook. All I can say is that it will be locally owned and operated, by a couple of guys who have lived in Winnipeg their entire lives and who love this city!”

Dark Zone’s old location is now occupied by Organza Market, Dollarama and Mercato Gelato. It’s not clear where the new location will be.

Twitter was abuzz with the news Sunday. Within two hours it was a trending topic on Twitter, not just in Winnipeg, but all over Canada.

On Monday, a man contacted the Winnipeg Sun to say he’s planning to open an unrelated family entertainment centre featuring multiple games, with laser tag as the anchor, somewhere in the south end.

“We’ll know when we’re opening in the next several weeks for sure,” said the man, who asked not to be identified.

Laser tag players wear vests equipped with infrared sensors and carry phasers or emitters that can target those sensors. When the infrared rays hit the vest, the player’s gun is deactivated for a period of time.

In many games, players hunt for the opposing team’s base, and point their phaser at it until it’s destroyed.

There are league, vampire, zombie and many other version of laser tag game rules. For more information on rules, click here.

For the past several years, Winnipeg laser tag fiends have had to make the trek to Stonewall's Laser Jungle.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2012, 11:31 PM

http://www.chrisd.ca/blog/56108/trip...-vital-centre/

A popular Canadian retailer for pre-teen girls will have a presence in Winnipeg later this month.

Triple Flip plans to open a store in St. Vital Centre June 28, adding to its already nine locations across the country.

The shop specializes in active lifestyle apparel with high-quality clothing that is stylish, comfortable and age appropriate for teens, the company says.

Twenty-four lucky Winnipeg girls were recently chosen to be “Flip Girl” models, in a random draw. They will be participating in a live, professional fashion photo shoot today from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. at centre court of St Vital Centre. Their poster images will be displayed at the Winnipeg store and online at TripleFlip.ca.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 2:18 AM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilwayne View Post
http://www.winnipegsun.com/2012/06/1...e-at-dark-zone

apprantly therell be two new family fun centrss like dark zone opening kinda like pladiums i guess

Two groups say they’re bringing separate laser tag businesses to Winnipeg, although both were scarce on details Monday.

Representatives of Dark Zone have confirmed they’re building a new location. There hasn’t been a Winnipeg laser tag business since Dark Zone closed nearly a decade ago.

“We have been working tirelessly for the better part of almost two years on this project and as I’m sure you can understand, timing is everything when launching a new business. It has truly been Winnipeg’s best kept secret for almost two years now,” representatives said Monday.

“We will be releasing more and more information in the coming days and weeks via Twitter and Facebook. All I can say is that it will be locally owned and operated, by a couple of guys who have lived in Winnipeg their entire lives and who love this city!”

Dark Zone’s old location is now occupied by Organza Market, Dollarama and Mercato Gelato. It’s not clear where the new location will be.

Twitter was abuzz with the news Sunday. Within two hours it was a trending topic on Twitter, not just in Winnipeg, but all over Canada.

On Monday, a man contacted the Winnipeg Sun to say he’s planning to open an unrelated family entertainment centre featuring multiple games, with laser tag as the anchor, somewhere in the south end.

“We’ll know when we’re opening in the next several weeks for sure,” said the man, who asked not to be identified.

Laser tag players wear vests equipped with infrared sensors and carry phasers or emitters that can target those sensors. When the infrared rays hit the vest, the player’s gun is deactivated for a period of time.

In many games, players hunt for the opposing team’s base, and point their phaser at it until it’s destroyed.

There are league, vampire, zombie and many other version of laser tag game rules. For more information on rules, click here.

For the past several years, Winnipeg laser tag fiends have had to make the trek to Stonewall's Laser Jungle.
-------

Quote:
Articles, such as news articles or blog posts, must be posted in a special way to avoid copyright infringement. Information about the source of the article must be given and only the beginning portion of the article text may be posted.

When posting an article please include the following information:
- the title of the article,
- the author's name,
- the name of the publication,
- the date of publication,

- a URL to the original article,
- only the first few sentences or the first paragraph of the article (not the entire article).

The exact format you use is up to you but it must contain the above information.
Also,

Quote:
Apparently, there will be two new family fun centers, like Dark Zone, opening kind of like p???????? (indistinguishable English) I guess.

Little dot is called a period, if it has a tail, its a comma.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 2:20 AM
Dynamic Positivity!

Playdium was an arcade franchise that was big for a while in the late 90s.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 2:22 AM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
Playdium was an arcade franchise that was big for a while in the late 90s.
Guess thats one thing I can understand from his posts then...

Was there a location at the former Unicity mall? I might remember that one actually

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 12:39 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
Guess thats one thing I can understand from his posts then...

Was there a location at the former Unicity mall? I might remember that one actually
There were no Playdium locations in Manitoba.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 12:16 PM
GQMF

Playdium is awesome. I've been to the ones in Vancouver, Edmonton (those still open?) and Mississauga.

Tons of arcade games, go karts, mini golf, batting cages. etc.

Great for the kids.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 11:28 PM

i know where the new south end laser tag will be located but i wont say till the deal is completely signed. dont want to get peoples hopes up if they live across the street. should be done shortly

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 12:44 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

^^^ good idea not to say till signed various freep peeps read this site with other members of the media

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberguy View Post
Playdium is awesome. I've been to the ones in Vancouver, Edmonton (those still open?) and Mississauga.

Tons of arcade games, go karts, mini golf, batting cages. etc.

Great for the kids.
Playdium in Metrotown in Burnaby, B.C. shut down several years ago.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2012, 5:07 PM

surprised they mention government so much with the wheat board building being abandoned pretty much. although, i did recently notice the building at edmonton st. and broadway has put up a new for lease sign showing it has slashed its vacancy rate in half from over 30k sqft to 15k sqft.
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bus...159534585.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan