HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Mar 4, 2009, 3:48 PM

I don't think anybody truly grasps the amount of land that Stelco and Dofasco own. Take a look at google maps. It's the same area as the downtown core, from Bay St. to Vicoria.

In a similar fashion to all the old mine sites in Northern Ontario, there's no reserve fund in place to pay for the clean up once Stelco is gone.

What do you do with an area of land that could fit another City of Hamilton but is also the dirtiest and most toxic piece of property in Southern Ontario?

Old Posted Mar 4, 2009, 3:56 PM
It's Hammer Time

It'll probably cost over a billion, perhaps 2 billion, to fund the brownfield cleanup just for the Stelco land. That would be a good way to create jobs in the short term. Once that happens you can create a study to detemine the best way to redevelop the land. Obviously land along the waterfront should be public property.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2009, 4:21 PM
Needs more coffee...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianE View Post
I don't think anybody truly grasps the amount of land that Stelco and Dofasco own. Take a look at google maps. It's the same area as the downtown core, from Bay St. to Vicoria.

In a similar fashion to all the old mine sites in Northern Ontario, there's no reserve fund in place to pay for the clean up once Stelco is gone.

What do you do with an area of land that could fit another City of Hamilton but is also the dirtiest and most toxic piece of property in Southern Ontario?
Start with money... thinking of the tax base that's possible - the amount of income every single year from a piece of waterfront property that size that's been cleaned up and properly redeveloped?

Now think about image... cleaning up a giant part of our city, changing its image to everyone who goes by, changing the image of the city to the entire city as well.

It would be an enormous project, and that's what gives it so much potential to change things... sure, it's intimidating and difficult and many will say "impossible!" .... but anything's possible.

Last edited by emge; Mar 4, 2009 at 4:33 PM.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2009, 4:50 PM
Closed account

A perm closure would hurt many more then just the existing employees. As the company does bridge the employee till age 65. Which can be as much as 75% of their monthly wages. Plus EVERYONE would lose their benefits. Only the medcations go gov controlled at age 65 not the rest of the benefits too. So this would effect many people in the longrun if it was close down perm.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2009, 4:55 PM

speaking of the steel mills

sad to c this thread....
anyone with photos from 50's or 60's .....
at one time i think Dofasco had a red rooftop logo on the building on Ottawa St.
facing north toward the mountain.... and i can sort of remember a "Stelco" sign facing towards the bay......
if anyone can confirm would be great........

Old Posted Mar 4, 2009, 5:01 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinexeter View Post
sad to c this thread....
anyone with photos from 50's or 60's .....
at one time i think Dofasco had a red rooftop logo on the building on Ottawa St.
facing north toward the mountain.... and i can sort of remember a "Stelco" sign facing towards the bay......
if anyone can confirm would be great........
I agree. I don't want to see them close perm.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2009, 5:01 PM

in addition

forgot to mention at the same time as the red DOFASCO rooftop sign faced towards the mounain... also visible was the "HOOVER" sign from the plant at Barton & Gage.... photos welcome......

Old Posted Mar 4, 2009, 5:59 PM
Headquarter: Montreal

well said, isaido. But Harper and co. don't think like that...

Old Posted Mar 4, 2009, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graupner View Post
well said, isaido. But Harper and co. don't think like that...
If American Senators thought like Harper, then the plant wouldn't be shutting down.

Protectionism helps no one, as long as labour and environment standards are protected in international trade.

Even if we bought Stelco back though, all the contracts are for US Steel so Stelco would be making Steel for no one.

http://forwardhamilton.blogspot.com/

Old Posted Mar 4, 2009, 11:29 PM
It's Hammer Time

Just so that you guys are aware some are quoted in Nicole Macintyre's blog, very cool, which explains the spike in guest viewership here......

http://hallmarks.thespec.com/

Old Posted Mar 5, 2009, 7:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Just so that you guys are aware some are quoted in Nicole Macintyre's blog, very cool, which explains the spike in guest viewership here......

http://hallmarks.thespec.com/
Neat, I was quoted in something.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2009, 1:38 PM
It's Hammer Time

This temporary layoff has got to be the worst, you don't know when the plant will restart back open. You could run out of EI by the time the plant restarts, what are you suppose to do then? Look for another job? I rather have them layoff off people or completely shut the plant down permanently so we can move on.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2009, 4:56 PM
Closed account

If per say they did go belly up. They should try and keep the land and lease it out to be used for whatever. This way they could at least regain some money back on what they have lost.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2009, 5:03 PM
Needs more coffee...

That doesn't make any sense, MsMe. By that logic, you would rather that a company owned by Americans makes money off land here with no benefit to local people whatsoever... instead of selling it to be reused for new properties, new housing, new taxes from that to support the city of Hamilton and new jobs to employ people who have been laid off as well as others.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2009, 5:13 PM
Closed account

I keep forgetting it's US owned now. To me it will always be Stelco. Good point.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2009, 5:31 PM
Closed account

Old Posted Mar 5, 2009, 6:42 PM
Needs more coffee...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millstone View Post
Neat, I was quoted in something.
yeah, it is kind of neat... and I noticed I had mentioned the wrong park. I meant Eastwood Park

Old Posted Mar 5, 2009, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmagazine View Post
like this quote:

Quote:
All this is movement in the right direction, but the uninhabited buildings are still falling down. Dozens are scheduled for demolition. “If struggling communities don’t preserve their architecture,” Mr. Fetterman said, “there’s no chance of any resurgence down the line.” Sometime soon, he worries, Braddock will pass the point of no return.
Great video too.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2009, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
This temporary layoff has got to be the worst, you don't know when the plant will restart back open. You could run out of EI by the time the plant restarts, what are you suppose to do then? Look for another job? I rather have them layoff off people or completely shut the plant down permanently so we can move on.
I'm hearing whispers that it's not temporary.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2009, 7:12 PM
It's Hammer Time

I would rather have them telling us it's permanently shutting down so we can move foward and start planning short and long term for the Stelco land.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy