HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 3:28 PM

Looks like ORD will be flown exclusively by GoJet on the CRJ550 in the fall when it goes to 3x (so rotate with IAD flights). Currently it's on the E70/75 with Republic and some flights rotate with EWR (i.e., EWR-YOW-ORD).

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainView View Post
Looks like ORD will be flown exclusively by GoJet on the CRJ550 in the fall when it goes to 3x (so rotate with IAD flights). Currently it's on the E70/75 with Republic and some flights rotate with EWR (i.e., EWR-YOW-ORD).
Just trying to wrap my mind around this as I connect through ORD pretty much every year:
  • Current capacity - 1xE70 (70 seats) + 1xE75 (70 or 76 depending on configuration, let's call it 73) = 143 seats daily or 1001 weekly
  • Peak summer capacity in August - 3xE75 (73 seats) - 219 daily or 1533 weekly
  • Winter capacity - 3xCRJ550 - 3*50=150 daily or 1050 weekly

So not much change in winter capacity unless I'm missing something?

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 5:04 PM

Urrgh I wish we could have better sun destinations from Ottawa, PUJ+POP+CUN+Cuba... been there done that .... Boring!

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesladom View Post
Urrgh I wish we could have better sun destinations from Ottawa, PUJ+POP+CUN+Cuba... been there done that .... Boring!
PD has NAS listed as a potential destination on their route map. SXM would be pretty neat as well.

Speaking of PD, I was checking their new routes page and the YOW tab has blank spots where FLL and MCO used to be. Might just be a mistake on their part, but maybe they're gearing up to announce the winter schedule soon as well?

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 6:19 PM

Air Canada increases service

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleEng View Post
Just trying to wrap my mind around this as I connect through ORD pretty much every year:
  • Current capacity - 1xE70 (70 seats) + 1xE75 (70 or 76 depending on configuration, let's call it 73) = 143 seats daily or 1001 weekly
  • Peak summer capacity in August - 3xE75 (73 seats) - 219 daily or 1533 weekly
  • Winter capacity - 3xCRJ550 - 3*50=150 daily or 1050 weekly

So not much change in winter capacity unless I'm missing something?
Yes, all correct.

ORD lately has been 2x E70/75 aircraft, with an increase this summer to 3x on the E70/75.
When autumn comes around, it will remain at 3x but be flown on the CRJ550.

IAD recently increased to 3x, and will remain as such throughout the winter (needed for connections to South America).

EWR as they mention will be 3x as well. Not mentioned, is that AC dropped their daily CRJ900 flight at the beginning of this month. So it recently went from 4x Star Alliance members to 3x Star Alliance flights/day.

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainView View Post
Yes, all correct.

ORD lately has been 2x E70/75 aircraft, with an increase this summer to 3x on the E70/75.
When autumn comes around, it will remain at 3x but be flown on the CRJ550.

IAD recently increased to 3x, and will remain as such throughout the winter (needed for connections to South America).

EWR as they mention will be 3x as well. Not mentioned, is that AC dropped their daily CRJ900 flight at the beginning of this month. So it recently went from 4x Star Alliance members to 3x Star Alliance flights/day.
EWR was originally just suspended for the summer season and was still bookable for next winter on AC. Wonder how much of that is the Porter effect, I have a colleague who has had to go a couple times (not frequent enough to be a status chaser) and he's taken Porter since if all else is equal, he'll take the free drink over flying AC or UA.

I also noticed the YOW-YYZ is a complete dummy schedule at this point, all flights on the day I looked were loaded as A220s.

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanR27 View Post
EWR was originally just suspended for the summer season and was still bookable for next winter on AC. Wonder how much of that is the Porter effect, I have a colleague who has had to go a couple times (not frequent enough to be a status chaser) and he's taken Porter since if all else is equal, he'll take the free drink over flying AC or UA.

I also noticed the YOW-YYZ is a complete dummy schedule at this point, all flights on the day I looked were loaded as A220s.
Dummy aircraft type, which is typical for the eastern triangle 6-10 months in advance but the schedule is probably accurate.

On a separate note, same-day service to/from Greenland is coming back this summer after a good 15 year absence with Air Greenland's Dash 8 to/from YFB that will connect to YOW, YUL and YVP: https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...813618080.html

Old Posted May 18, 2024, 1:43 PM

Today’s departure count: 68

Today’s cancellation count (so far): 1

Old Posted May 18, 2024, 1:52 PM

So as suspected F8 are flipping over to MCO to see if their abysmal Orlando loads will improve. Also as I figured, YOW would not come back even though the YOW route had some of the least bad loads. Between it and WS cutting YOW-MCO, even with AC restoring service to 2019 levels with the extra 2x weekly yesterday, that should pave the way for PD to add a 2nd daily next winter. Doing so would only slightly increase net capacity on the route.

Looks like F8 will just have the twice weekly CUN token presence at YOW this winter. At least they’re keeping a toehold in the market and not abandoning YOW entirely. That all assumes they make it to next winter.

Old Posted May 18, 2024, 6:27 PM

I think they'd do very well on MCO from YOW, especially if they could run it on Saturday where it's just PD at the moment. I wonder if they'll operate out of Terminal C in MCO, where Lynx operated (and PD does as well).

As it stands, I bet PD could even run 3x MCO flights on Saturday for the Feb-March peak.

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:01 PM

Looks like PD has a response to AC. They are now offering discounted flights to/from Ottawa calling it "Celebrate Ottawa Sale". Let the Hunger Games begin.

I don't think this recent increase in service announcement is going to hinder PD in the slightest. Seems like AC is just jumping on other carriers' retreat and only just fills their gap (aka Flair and Westjet to sunny destinations).

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofYOW View Post
I don't think this recent increase in service announcement is going to hinder PD in the slightest. Seems like AC is just jumping on other carriers' retreat and only just fills their gap (aka Flair and Westjet to sunny destinations).
Agree. If AC was truly responding to Porter, we might see AC start flights to markets that AC previously served that PD has entered, like YEG, YYT, BOS and more east coast destinations. And who knows, maybe we see a response like this next summer.

Or go daily on MCO and FLL this Winter. Not a chance anyone at PD is redoing any winter plans seeing AC add ~130 weekly seats per direction on TPA, and not even fully capture the capacity gaps on MCO/SFB and FLL left by WS and F8.

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:58 PM

Today’s departure count: 73

Today’s cancellation count (so far): 5

Old Posted Today, 5:03 PM

Today’s departure count: 81

Today’s cancellation count (so far): 0

Will tie the most since March 2020 if no cancellations today.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation