HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted May 2, 2024, 6:20 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

it looks like the airport path station design is underway, i guess that will get built first eventually, but post-covid the rest is unfunded. afaik no recent news.

Old Posted May 2, 2024, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
I'm a big believer in PATH expansion but with NJTransit I don't think extending past EWR makes much sense.
As a counterpoint, PATH and NJ Rail complement each other when one service inevitably has service disruptions. Secondly, NJ Rail is get for servicing midtown Manhattan while PATH also provides services Downtown and the Financial District. It also a easier transfer point for commuters going to/from Brooklyn.

You saw this pre-pandemic when there was a horde of NJ Transit/Amtrak folks getting off at Newark and transferring to PATH to go to the WTC. The demand is there.

Old Posted May 2, 2024, 4:34 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. View Post
You saw this pre-pandemic when there was a horde of NJ Transit/Amtrak folks getting off at Newark and transferring to PATH to go to the WTC. The demand is there.
If PA wanted to fund it I wouldn't stand in the way. It would be a challenge squeezing it into the NEC r.o.w. but probably doable. Not to let the air out the balloon but considering how long it's taken them to even begin serious steps towards the stupefyingly obvious extension to EWR, unless an Elizabeth extension was packaged together with tremendous political support I don't see them moving on it.

Trumpism is the road to ruin

Old Posted May 5, 2024, 7:13 AM
Greetings from New Jersey

Quote:
I'm a big believer in PATH expansion but with NJTransit I don't think extending past EWR makes much sense.
I think the 1960s proposal which took it past EWR to Midtown Elizabeth then out to Plainfield via the CNJ tracks is a better idea. Given the recent redevelopment boom and the state of local transit being overcrowded, it's needed badly. A Branch to Staten Island should also be built to St. George along the SIRR.

Old Posted May 5, 2024, 7:15 AM
Greetings from New Jersey

Quote:
If PA wanted to fund it I wouldn't stand in the way. It would be a challenge squeezing it into the NEC r.o.w. but probably doable. Not to let the air out the balloon but considering how long it's taken them to even begin serious steps towards the stupefyingly obvious extension to EWR, unless an Elizabeth extension was packaged together with tremendous political support I don't see them moving on it.
The line would have to go under route 27 or use the shelved Newark - Elizabeth LRT route to get around the NEC.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation