HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
There was also some interest last year in building a pedestrian bridge between Britannia and Deschênes:

https://deschenesrapidsbridge.org/

The story.
This would cost a shit-tonne of money to do well, but it could be done well. Too bad we're heading into a decade of even worse institutional cheapskatery than already prevails.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2024, 5:43 PM

A not so subtle stab at the City of Ottawa.

Quote:
National Capital Commission
@NCC_CCN
This will make the bridge connecting Major’s Hill Park to Kìwekì Point:

✅ Fully accessible to wheelchairs, bicycles, and pedestrians

🙌 Open. All. Year. Long!

Learn more about the redevelopment of Kìwekì Point. 👇

4:02 PM · Mar 20, 2024
·
https://twitter.com/NCC_CCN/status/1...vFojG_CVw&s=33

Old Posted May 6, 2024, 6:59 PM

I have been pondering a bit, and think I have hit on the next location that really needs an active transport bridge over a water body: the Rideau River between the foot of Clegg and the east bank near Hurdman.

It would act as an extension of the routes opened up by the Flora footbridge over the canal just to the west, open up new routes to and from Hurdman LRT station, and who knows, maybe it could even be designed and built with Rideau River water fun in mind.

Old Posted May 6, 2024, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
I have been pondering a bit, and think I have hit on the next location that really needs an active transport bridge over a water body: the Rideau River between the foot of Clegg and the east bank near Hurdman.

It would act as an extension of the routes opened up by the Flora footbridge over the canal just to the west, open up new routes to and from Hurdman LRT station, and who knows, maybe it could even be designed and built with Rideau River water fun in mind.
100% yes. I think you would want to add new infrastructure into Alta Vista from there as well.

Old Posted May 6, 2024, 10:43 PM

I couldn't find it but there is a project underway related to the area. Sample:
http://www.mainstreeter.ca/index.php...y-be-replaced/

Old Posted May 7, 2024, 2:36 AM

Old Posted May 7, 2024, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
100% yes. I think you would want to add new infrastructure into Alta Vista from there as well.
Yup, it seems like such an obvious place for one I've never though to check if it's in any plans. It's technically included in Phase 1 of the New TMP as a "Development Related" active transportation structure, but I wonder what development that means?

A bridge there would actually align really well to the MUP that runs along Hospital Link Rd, giving it a crossing of Riverside Dr. into some of the apartments along Lycee Place. Could take it one step further and get an underpass of the train tracks and connect through Dale Park into the Riverview neighbourhood!

Old Posted May 7, 2024, 1:42 PM

What we really need is to complete the Sawmill Creek pathway to the Rideau River, somehow connecting to Data Centre Road and then cross the Rideau River to Leonard Avenue, which will connect to the pathway along Colonel By Drive which will get you right downtown. The Sawmill Creek pathway will connect to the new Trillium Line pathway, which runs all the way to Bowesville Station and beyond on the old CPR corridor crossing the entirety of rural Ottawa. There will be many connections to local neighbourhoods. This would be the most continuous MUP going south.

Old Posted May 7, 2024, 2:55 PM

Found it. Here's the Lees/Hurdman/Tremblay planning document. It includes the pedestrian bridge crossing at Clegg.
https://documents.ottawa.ca/sites/do...an_main_en.pdf
"A future link is shown to connect the existing community east of the VIA tracks to future development west of the tracks. It is envisaged that this link would be in the form of a pedestrian underpass under the VIA tracks. While its location is conceptual, the City’s intent would be to negotiate for such a connection at the time of future redevelopment proposals for any lands located between Old Riverside Drive and the VIA tracks. Such a link is desirable for community connectivity with long-range desire lines connecting west, first to the potential Rideau River crossing described above, and eventually to a future pedestrian bridge at Clegg over the Rideau Canal to Lansdowne Park."

and a summary post here:
https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...8&postcount=16

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation