HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 12, 2009, 8:28 PM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalreg View Post
Ok so now you consider Victoria a city because of it's metro population, I was expecting that. What are you going to say next? Anything smaller than Calgary is not a city?

Just like to point out the flaws in your statements. What services are lacking inLethbridge that you can't get in Calgary? What no opera? Only one starbucks instead of 100?

Population really means jack shit. If the community can handle your needs then in my opinion it should be a city.

To be honest, I don't make the rules. I am only expressiing my opinion.

I have been to Lethbridge many times, and find it to be a really nice place, but it really doesn't have many of the ammenities which I would consider to be a city. To answer your question about the opera, it is not exactly what I had in mind, but yes cultural ammenities would definately be one of the contributing factors which determine if a community is really a city.

You obviously associate a much lower standard with a city than I do and that is fine, but I don't consider just any place with a McDonalds a city. Having been to many cities over my time I have come to expect certain aspects which makes up urban living to be the factors what contributes to a city. Lethbridge just simily does meet that level of urbanism, but is still a really nice community less the urban aspects (ie; a town) IMO.

It really have less to do with actual population levels in my mind and more about the complete level of ammenities it is able to support. With that said I would suggest that it would require at least 100,000 people to offer that level of lifestyle, if not more. So places with less then 100,000 people, with larges suburbs would still fall into this category. I believe greater Victoria is in in excess off 300,000 people but I could be wrong.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2009, 9:36 PM

Victoria (From Wikopedia)

- City 78,057
- Density 4,196.9/km2 (10,869.9/sq mi)
- Metro 330,088

BTW, Who the @#$% cares if someplace is called a city or a town or a metropolis. Semantics mostly no? If some a place has an opera that makes it a city?

Way too SUBJECTIVE and far too TRITE to be of any significance no?

Old Posted Sep 12, 2009, 10:03 PM
Capitalist

I agree it is very subjective. In my eyes its not about the Opera, it is about wether a centre has a selection of urban ammenities.

If you live in a community and regularily need to drive somewhere else to meet various needs can it really be considered a city? I know if someone from outside the country came to me to inquire about Canadian cities ... Medow Lake would not be on my list, because any objective person would never descrive it as a city. People expect a city to offer a certain level of urban ammenities, when they think of a city.

Like I said before .. my views are my own, but I think if most people were to describe what factors make up a city, we would find that it would be much more then a simple number, especially a number as little as 5000. With that said its a nice marketing gimick to suggest Saskatchewan has 13 "cities".

Last edited by newflyer; Sep 18, 2009 at 6:17 AM.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2009, 6:45 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Zebra Mussels In Red River Basin
CJOB's Lorne Edwards reporting
9/17/2009

The Manitoba government is maintaining it's vigilance in the fight against zebra mussels. Water Stewardship Minister Christine Melnick says the invasive species were found in Pelican Lake, Minnesota this week. That's the first time live zebra mussels have been seen in the Red River Basin. Melnick says Manitoba will continue its work with other jurisdictions to enhance signage at boat launches and initiate monitoring for zebra mussels along the Red River. Once zebra mussels are established in a lake or river, there's no way to eliminate them. They've caused millions of dollars in damage to the Great Lakes.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2009, 6:52 PM
BANNED

^ WTF does this have to do with this thread?

Old Posted Sep 18, 2009, 8:03 PM

^Zebra mussels are developing a population in Manitoba... hence Manitoba and Saskatchewan developments. I think this could have an impact on the economies of communities on Lake Winnipeg's shores. (and on the economy of the Red River and
Lake Winnipeg basin)

Old Posted Sep 18, 2009, 8:26 PM
the first stamp is free

^ apparently if the population of zebra mussels gets large enough, one of their side effects is an marked increase in water clarity, which could be an interesting development for the beaches along lake Winnipeg...

Old Posted Sep 18, 2009, 9:34 PM

true, but they could play havoc on hydro generating stations, and increase levels of toxins in the lake as well as compete with commercial fish food stocks.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2009, 8:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
To be honest, I don't make the rules. I am only expressiing my opinion.

I have been to Lethbridge many times, and find it to be a really nice place, but it really doesn't have many of the ammenities which I would consider to be a city. To answer your question about the opera, it is not exactly what I had in mind, but yes cultural ammenities would definately be one of the contributing factors which determine if a community is really a city.

You obviously associate a much lower standard with a city than I do and that is fine, but I don't consider just any place with a McDonalds a city. Having been to many cities over my time I have come to expect certain aspects which makes up urban living to be the factors what contributes to a city. Lethbridge just simily does meet that level of urbanism, but is still a really nice community less the urban aspects (ie; a town) IMO.

It really have less to do with actual population levels in my mind and more about the complete level of ammenities it is able to support. With that said I would suggest that it would require at least 100,000 people to offer that level of lifestyle, if not more. So places with less then 100,000 people, with larges suburbs would still fall into this category. I believe greater Victoria is in in excess off 300,000 people but I could be wrong.

Well glad you don't make the rules I guess. Enough said.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 9:18 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

HudBay Celebrates Major Copper/Gold Strike
CJOB's Lorne Edwards reporting
9/22/2009

Those working within the Manitoba mining sector are " a-buzz" with news of what may be the largest find of gold and copper in the last 40-years. Tom Goodman of Hudbay Minerals says the find at the Lalor deposit shows gold amounts of 13 grams per tonne, and over 5-percent copper.

The new copper-gold zone was found near the company's Snow Lake concentrator near Flin Flon.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2009, 2:44 AM
Heart of the Continent

This was from the other day, but why not...I think I'll start posting more of these types of things.

PORTAGE LA PRAIRIE, Man. – Rosann Wowchuk, Minister of Agriculture, Food and Rural Initiatives, and Candice Hoeppner, Member of Parliament for Portage–Lisgar, visited Portage la Prairie’s Food Development Centre today to meet with FDC CEO Linda Lowry and kick off the expansion made possible through federal and provincial funding.

“For over 30 years, the Food Development Centre has been a leader in the innovation of new food products and, as we celebrate those achievements, we look to build on them with the expansion we are announcing today,” said Minister Wowchuk. “The success at the centre has led to new opportunities for local entrepreneurs and those successes have been noticed globally by many other countries.”

“I’m pleased to visit the Food Development Centre today regarding this new project,” said Member of Parliament Hoeppner. “Investments such as this are creating and protecting jobs, supporting Canadians who have lost their jobs, helping threatened industries, and laying the foundations for future prosperity and growth in the ag-industry sector. This government is taking action to ensure that agriculture succeeds during this economic slowdown.”

Federal funding of $3.3 million is being provided through the Community Adjustment Fund (CAF) as part of Canada’s Economic Action Plan, while provincial and other stakeholder funding totalling $4.1 million has been committed. The total cost of the initiative is $7.4 million.

http://news.gov.mb.ca/news/index.htm...ive=&item=6955

Old Posted Oct 28, 2009, 6:43 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

anyone know witch sites they re talking about here?

Cleaning Up Abandoned Mines
CJOB News Team reporting
10/28/2009

The Manitoba government is spending 42-million dollars to clean-up 18 orphaned or abandoned mines. Mines Minister Jim Rondeau tells CJOB there's a lot of work to be done:

Rondeau says the project is also a good job creation initiative.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2009, 12:40 AM
BANNED

^ How exactly is a GOVT. make work project good job creation. Good job creation is something both sustainable and long term. The NDP is clueless as usual.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2009, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
^ How exactly is a GOVT. make work project good job creation. Good job creation is something both sustainable and long term. The NDP is clueless as usual.
Dude, seriously? You don't want abandoned mines cleaned up?

Old Posted Oct 29, 2009, 1:31 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
some of the mine sistes being cleaned up will take 70yrs to be done...
such as fox mine at the end of the road going west of lynn lake or theres the mine right inside of lynn witch has a hudge mess.... half the town is built on tailings

Old Posted Oct 29, 2009, 1:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
Dude, seriously? You don't want abandoned mines cleaned up?
Umm, maybe read his post again. The question had absolutely nothing to do with mine clean up. Not sure how that post was unclear.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2009, 3:55 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

phaned/Abandoned Mine Site Rehabilitation

NEWS
RELEASES: PROVINCE COMMITS $42 MILLION FOR CLEANUP OF ORPHANED MINES
Orphaned or abandoned (O/A) mines are mines for which the owner cannot be found or is financially unable or unwilling to carry out site rehabilitation. Many of these sites were developed decades ago, before environmental impacts were fully understood and modern operating standards were developed. Some of these mines pose environmental, health, safety and economic risks to communities, the mining industry and governments. Orphaned and abandoned mines exist within all mining jurisdictions in Canada.
Schist Lake, Manitoba, before and after reclamation
Mine site rehabilitation is a responsible action to close former mine sites by
  • identifying and correcting any safety hazards,
  • managing the disposal of potential hazardous and toxic substances,
  • eliminating contamination in the air and water, and
  • returning the land as close as possible to its natural state.
Rehabilitation plans bring significant economic benefits to the area by creating jobs and spin-off benefits. Remediation of mine sites improves the lives of people who live near orphaned or abandoned mines by
  • addressing health and safety risks,
  • providing a more aesthetically pleasing environment for residents, visitors, and tourists,
  • covering tailings to manage wind blown dust,
  • encouraging revegetation, and
  • bolstering the economic viability of the area.
In 1999, Manitoba adopted mine closure regulations which require that environmental liabilities incurred during mining operations be financially secured to cover future remediation costs. Mine closure plans and financial security must be filed and approved prior to a permit being granted for a new mine operation.
The Mine Closure Regulation is currently undergoing a formal review to ensure that its requirements remain relevant and consistent with government policies and programs.
MR 67/99 - Mine Closure Regulation

General Closure Plan Guidelines, available in html or PDF
Mine Closure Guidelines, Financial Assurance available in html or PDF
In 2000, Manitoba established the Orphaned/Abandoned Mine Site Rehabilitation Program to address the public safety and environmental health concerns associated with orphaned/abandoned mine sites.
  • Under the program, 149 former mine sites were identified as orphaned or abandoned, which include five high-priority sites (Lynn Lake, Sherridon, Gods Lake, Snow Lake and Baker Patton), 31 high-hazard sites and the remaining low- to moderate-risk sites.
  • To date, the Province has spent over $20 million on O/A mine site rehabilitation, mostly through the Orphaned/Abandoned Mine Site Rehabilitation Program administered by Manitoba Science, Technology, Energy and Mines.

►$1 million was spent for ongoing capping and closing off open mine shafts, site inspection, environmental monitoring, dyke repair, demolition and cleanup, and preparation of long-term rehabilitation plans.

►$1 million was spent by Manitoba Conservation through the department's Environmental Health Risk Assessment Program to research and assess the environmental impact of abandoned mines including air and water quality testing.

►$4 million was spent in 2006-2007 for rehabilitation projects at Lynn Lake, Sherridon, Snow Lake and the Ruttan mine at Leaf Rapids, including environmental monitoring, dike repair, demolition and cleanup, site revegetation and preparation of long-term rehabilitation plans.

►$5.3 million was spent in 2007-2008 for rehabilitation projects at Lynn Lake, Sherridon, Gods Lake and 11 sites in the Bissett and West Hawk Lake areas. Key accomplishments included starting demolition of the Farley mine and headframe complex in Lynn Lake, the demolition of the power line from the Gods Lake mine site to Kutchewan Falls, continued work at the Lynn Lake and Sherridon sites and rehabilitation of 11 sites in southeastern Manitoba.

►$9 million was spent in 2008-2009 for rehabilitation projects in Lynn Lake, Sherridon, Snow Lake, Gods Lake and 12 other sites. Key accomplishments included the rehabilitation of 4 high-hazard sites in southeastern Manitoba; demolition of the Farley Mine Mill Complex, Ruttan Loadout, and the El Mine Complex at Lynn Lake were completed; the Sherlett Creek Restoration at Sherridon was completed; and an extensive surface and groundwater study was conducted at the Ruttan mine site at Leaf Rapids.

►$42 million has been allocated for 2009-2010 rehabilitation projects in Lynn Lake, Sherridon, Snow Lake, Gods Lake, Leaf Rapids and 13 high-hazard sites. Planned rehabilitation work includes:
  • Lynn Lake: East Tailings Management Area dyke enhancement, surface water management, tailings capping, revegetation and dust abatement; decommissioning of existing waste disposal facility located in the ETMA and construction of a new waste disposal facility for Lynn Lake; West Tailings Management Area remediation of contaminated soil at the mill site, comprehensive review of water management and treatment options and tailings re-vegetation studies; El Mine site closure plan, site remediation.
  • Sherridon: the highest priority rehabilitation project for which HAZCO has been contracted to neutralize and relocate the mine tailings. The three-year, $34.5 million contract includes a 10% set-aside and a $500,000 training allowance for local First Nation and northern communities.
  • Snow Lake: tailings remediation and revegetation, and rehabilitation of the arsenopyrite pile.
  • Gods Lake: removing stock-piled steel, demolition of headframe and mine-site cleanup, and tailings capping.
  • Ruttan Mine: design of a water treatment system, remediation of tailings area.
  • Rehabilitation work at 13 sites which the department has identified as posing potential hazards to public health and safety and the environment.
  • In 2006, Manitoba established a provincial environmental liability account for the rehabilitation of orphaned and abandoned mines and signed an agreement with Viridian Inc. to share the rehabilitation cost of the East Tailings Management Area near the Town of Lynn Lake. The account currently holds $218 million to fund rehabilitation projects.
  • All 149 sites have been inspected for safety and environmental hazards, prioritized for rehabilitation and have had long-term rehabilitation plans completed.
  • Rehabilitation has been completed at 16 sites including Baker Patton, one of the high-priority sites, and 15 high-hazard sites.
Manitoba supports the rehabilitation of O/A mines through its programs, partnerships, community involvement and funding initiatives. In addition, the province also participates in the National Orphaned/Abandoned Mines Initiative (NOAMI), a co-operative partnership of the Canadian mining industry, federal/provincial/territorial governments, environmental non-government organizations and First Nations.
Manitoba’s ongoing work on the rehabilitation of O/A mines is consistent with NOAMI objectives to address key priorities and issues including:
  • building a national inventory,
  • setting standards and rational expectations,
  • ownership and liability issues,
  • identification of funding models, and
  • community involvement.
Manitoba hosted the first NOAMI Workshop in Winnipeg in 2001. Sixty-three participants met to review issues and identify processes for moving forward. Manitoba also hosted the 2006 O/A mines workshop to explore and understand the best, emerging and innovative practices relating to the management of orphaned and abandoned mines. Participants included Provincial, Territorial and Federal Government officials; Communities of interest; Aboriginal peoples; NGOs; Academics; Scientists; and mining industry representatives. For more information, please visit the NOAMI website: National Orphaned/Abandoned Mines Initiative (NOAMI)
In June 2008, Manitoba hosted the MEND Manitoba Workshop, a federal/provincial initiative organized through Natural Resources Canada’s Mine Environment Neutral Drainage (MEND) Program and Manitoba’s department of Science, Technology, Energy and Mines.
Acidic drainage is recognized as the largest environmental liability facing the mining industry and, to a lesser extent, the public through abandoned mines. MEND was implemented to develop and apply new technologies to prevent and control acidic drainage.
The workshop presented the challenges in acidic drainage for operating, closed or abandoned mines and developed best practices to ensure that future mine development will not have long-term acidic drainage concerns upon closure.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2009, 3:56 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

shame they tore down vthe farly headframe lynn lake it was kinda a town symble...

Old Posted Oct 29, 2009, 4:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy old man View Post
Umm, maybe read his post again. The question had absolutely nothing to do with mine clean up. Not sure how that post was unclear.
Cleaning up mines isn't a make work project.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2009, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
Cleaning up mines isn't a make work project.
Still missed it I'm afraid.

Umm, maybe read that post yet again. The question had absolutely nothing to do with mine clean up OR make work project.

Never mind. It was about job creation. Or rather lack of same.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan