HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 14, 2009, 10:04 PM
high expectations

look at the excitment ive been missing!

Old Posted Jan 15, 2009, 3:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-MAN View Post
look at the excitment ive been missing!

Actually that park is right in front of Friesnes corp. Its a common and lenghty activity for most people to participate in the act of "guessing wtf that silver thing is" in the middle there. But for a town of almost 4000, we have a lot to offer. Also, this place is the place to be on saturday evening:

Busier than polo park I tell you. Well, busiest mall between Winnipeg and Grand Forks I'd imagine.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2009, 3:32 AM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipegger View Post
Actually that park is right in front of Friesnes corp. Its a common and lenghty activity for most people to participate in the act of "guessing wtf that silver thing is" in the middle there. But for a town of almost 4000, we have a lot to offer. Also, this place is the place to be on saturday evening:

Busier than polo park I tell you. Well, busiest mall between Winnipeg and Grand Forks I'd imagine.
I used to work for an inventory company back in the mid to late 90s, and we did many of the IGAs in Manitoba, including the one in this mall. Is it still there?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2009, 4:08 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greco Roman View Post
I used to work for an inventory company back in the mid to late 90s, and we did many of the IGAs in Manitoba, including the one in this mall. Is it still there?
yes iga is still there

also theres a co-op down at the highway to greatna and a mcdonalds...
that town probly services 10,000 people

Old Posted Jan 15, 2009, 4:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greco Roman View Post
Yes, its still there, and the only reason that mall is still there. The mall has a cycle of witnessing shops open up for a few months to a few years, then close down again only to be reopened by some new niche-filling store only to meet the same peril. It's in a sad state, really. I don't know what they were thinking when they built a mall for such a small population.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2009, 4:24 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Yes, its still there, and the only reason that mall is still there. The mall has a cycle of witnessing shops open up for a few months to a few years, then close down again only to be reopened by some new niche-filling store only to meet the same peril. It's in a sad state, really. I don't know what they were thinking when they built a mall for such a small population.
altona is a hub from that region of manitoba

Old Posted Jan 15, 2009, 4:26 AM
Movin' on up

Quote:
I've also did inventory in 90% of the Co-op stores in Manitoba; the ones in Swan River and Neepawa are HUGE and took forever to inventory. Those were really fun roadtrips.

I'm guessing that the reason this mall is dead is because people just go to Winkler, where there is a larger mall with more amenities. They likely go to Morden as well.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2009, 4:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
altona is a hub from that region of manitoba
Well, it's an immediate hub I guess, if you need something right away, but like Greco Roman pointed out, Winkler and Morden is a popular destination, especially now with everyones favourite, Wal-Mart. And with the current price of gas, people don't have much trouble going to Winnipeg, and while their there, getting groceries that they would normally get in town during the gas crisis.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2009, 3:05 PM
Mooderator

Subway is opening (opened?) a new location in Killarney.. inside the new co-op gas bar.

K-town hittin' the big time.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2009, 11:58 PM
high expectations

I think portage la prairie built a waterpark or somthing, lol...

Old Posted Jan 19, 2009, 1:00 AM
Capitalist

Quote:

I love that .. the World's biggest Coke can.

Add to it a couple french fry plants ... and you can only dream of the goodtimes to be had at that waterpark.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2009, 2:27 AM
Youth of a Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
I love that .. the World's biggest Coke can.

Add to it a couple french fry plants ... and you can only dream of the goodtimes to be had at that waterpark.
LMAO!

Coca-Cola and McCain French Fry Waterpark!

Old Posted Jan 24, 2009, 7:37 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:

I like Coca-Cola, but this is kind of over the top.... The "city" of Portage la Prairie allowing Coca-Cola to sponser that water thingie.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2009, 6:20 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj_wpg View Post
I like Coca-Cola, but this is kind of over the top.... The "city" of Portage la Prairie allowing Coca-Cola to sponser that water thingie.

I love it ... I wish there were more corporate sponsorships of city facilities. It makes perfect sense to increase revenues without increasing taxes. Plus I think having a giant Coke can is very cool.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2009, 3:24 PM
Armchair urbanist

Quote:
High hopes for $2-million hangar
Keystone Air to use facility for outside jobs

By: Murray McNeill

A local charter airline hopes to fly above the economic storm clouds with the opening Monday of a new $2-million hangar/head office facility.

Keystone Air Service Ltd. has more than doubled its hangar and office space with the St. Andrews Airport expansion.

The company has a fleet of nine small passenger aircraft, up by three since 2006. The extra space will enable Keystone to work on more than one plane at once and also to take on more outside aircraft maintenance and repair work, company founder and co-owner Cliff Arlt said in an interview.

Relocating its headquarters to the new building, with a 16,800-square-foot hangar and 3,000 square feet of offices, also cleared the way for Keystone to rent out the offices in its old hangar to an aircraft radio repair shop (Advance Avionics Aircraft Ltd.) -- creating another new revenue source.

Arlt said these new revenues should help offset the negative impact from any reduction in charter flights that may result from the stiff economic headwinds.

With the North American economy sliding deeper into a recession, Arlt admitted this might seem like a bad time to be undertaking a $2-million expansion. But he isn't the only one who thinks otherwise.

Judy Saxby, president of the Manitoba Aviation Council Inc., said the additional hangar space will enable Keystone to start doing structural repair work for other aircraft operators. And demand for those services tends to increase during a recession as aircraft operators outsource more of that work to concentrate on their core business, she said.

"It's a smart move on his part because it gives him a broader base."

Saxby and Aviation Council executive director Bill Zuk said most of the other local air carriers should also be well-positioned to ride out the recession.

They said most of their flights are to northern communities that are only accessible by air, so their frequent flyers, including government workers, First Nation band members, and mining and construction crews have no choice but to continue flying, they said.

And while Keystone doesn't offer scheduled service or medical evacuation flights, Saxby said a number of other local airlines do, including Perimeter Aviation and Keewatin Air Ltd. Perimeter Aviation president Mark Wehrle said his company anticipates a small drop-off in demand, "but we don't think it will drop significantly."

murray.mcneill@freepress.mb.ca
Keystone Air Service site

Old Posted Feb 3, 2009, 3:51 PM
the first stamp is free

^ it's interesting to see the spin in this article regarding the current economic woes and whether now is a good time to be building this new hanger.

I have chartered up north with Keystone several times from St. Andrews, and this hanger was just about finished when the economy tanked. So this "$2 million expansion" was planned out and probably paid for long before the recession was even talked about. Reading the article, you would probably think just the opposite....

Old Posted Feb 3, 2009, 4:43 PM
Creative Accountant

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
I have chartered up north with Keystone several times from St. Andrews, and this hanger was just about finished when the economy tanked. So this "$2 million expansion" was planned out and probably paid for long before the recession was even talked about. Reading the article, you would probably think just the opposite....
Don't fly with Keystone! They have poor safety practices. My neighbor use to be a pilot with them and called them Tombstone Air.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2009, 4:47 PM
the first stamp is free

^ I am aware. However I really don't have any choice in the matter. IMO there really isn't much difference safety wise between any of the local charter companies.

For flying up north my preference scale goes:

Keystone < Perimeter < Calm Air. If I could fly Calm Air every time, I would...

Old Posted Feb 3, 2009, 4:54 PM
Armchair urbanist

Perimeter Air is the reason I always drive now for my trips back home.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2009, 10:31 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

what about these guys?

from wikki commons

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan