HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 11:59 PM

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 8:07 PM

Morning of Dec. 18, 2019

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 8:10 PM

Oooh. Ahhh.

Thanks Grump.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 8:13 PM

I wish I were a more patient man, the progress on the sutton hotel feels much quicker then Towers 1 & 2 yet it still can't go up quick enough for me.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 9:56 PM

They're placing rebar now at the north end of the main floor. So should start seeing some concrete poured in the new year.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 1:51 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
I wish I were a more patient man, the progress on the sutton hotel feels much quicker then Towers 1 & 2 yet it still can't go up quick enough for me.

Once its up and open, I'll be going to CHOP Steakhouse, IF its good. Otherwise, it'll be back to Montanna's St. Vital for me.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 2:16 PM
What could go wrong?

Strange choice, between a higher end, expensive steak house and a family oriented basic chain restaurant. Really both ends of the spectrum there.

We used to eat at Montana's when the kids were younger - family of 4 around $80
We periodically go to CHOP - family of 4 around $250 (I prefer The Keg to CHOP)

.....not criticizing, just a curious comparison.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 4:05 PM
What could go wrong?

MEDIA RELEASE: TRUE NORTH REAL ESTATE DEVELOPMENT

ACU to move into True North Square
Manitoba's values-based credit union to open Financial Advice Centre
in the heart of Winnipeg's downtown

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

WINNIPEG, Dec. 19, 2019 - Assiniboine Credit Union (ACU), Manitoba's largest credit union by members, will be moving its downtown branch to True North Square, contributing to Winnipeg's downtown revitalization. As the newest anchor tenant, ACU will occupy over 5,400 square feet on the ground floor at 223 Carlton - the retail address of True North Square's residential tower.

"Like True North, ACU is committed to revitalizing Winnipeg's downtown core," said Kevin Sitka, ACU President and CEO. "I'm confident that ACU's Financial Advice Centre will add even more local flavour to True North Square's growing amenities and offer a more convenient location for our members to take care of their full-service banking and wealth needs - all conveniently located where they live, work, and play in downtown Winnipeg. ACU has been a strong community builder and partner for over 75 years and at the side of countless community advancements, and we are thrilled to continue that good work alongside the True North Square leaders."

"The new ACU Financial Advice Centre will not be a traditional branch," adds Jennifer Mullen-Berube Chief Brand & Innovation Officer at ACU. "This location will offer an enhanced member experience combining expert advice from trusted advisors in a modern, welcoming concept that incorporates in-person, digital and self-serve banking options."

"Assiniboine Credit Union is an organization with deep Winnipeg roots, a strong commitment to community values and that shares True North's vision of a vibrant downtown," said Jim Ludlow, President of True North Real Estate Development. "ACU has been a valuable long-standing partner to True North and we are pleased to welcome their Financial Advice Centre into the innovative and progressive space at True North Square. ACU's tenancy at 223 Carlton aligns with their organizational philosophies and further builds on their strong customer and community commitment."

ACU has the largest branch network of any Manitoba credit union with 17 branches in Winnipeg, Thompson and Gillam. In 2018 ACU became the first Manitoban financial institution to achieve carbon neutrality and its commitment to the environment is well-aligned with True North Square's LEED Gold certification.

The Main Street retail branch moves to True North Square in May 2020. ACU's head office will remain at 200 Main Street, a short walk or bike ride to True North Square. Members will also be able to conveniently access ACU's True North Square Financial Advice Centre through the downtown walkway system.

######
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 4:11 PM

^ I'm a little surprised given that there is already a financial institution occupying one of the streetfront CRUs at TNS. But good news nonetheless.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 4:19 PM

^ Nothing livens up a massive ground floor commercial unit quite like a credit union!

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardlow View Post
^ Nothing livens up a massive ground floor commercial unit quite like a credit union!
At this point I'm grateful for any business entity that doesn't have the words "rama" or "mart" in their names

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
At this point I'm grateful for any business entity that doesn't have the words "rama" or "mart" in their names
Well sure. Relative to how things have been, 'Local downtown CRU to be occupied' manages to be a good headline.

I just have to smile thinking about how TNS is ending up as the same old sterile, CBD-type urban development rather than some kind of wonderful people-drawing place we were all supposed to believe it was.

Like, just the missed opportunity of tucking away your biggest draw (Hargave Market) upstairs, and lining the ground floor with branch banks. Totally clueless.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 4:35 PM
What could go wrong?

Would have been a good opportunity for a flagship Jets Store.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 4:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Well sure. Relative to how things have been, 'Local downtown CRU to be occupied' manages to be a good headline.

I just have to smile thinking about how TNS is ending up as the same old sterile, CBD-type urban development rather than some kind of wonderful people-drawing place we were all supposed to believe it was.

Like, just the missed opportunity of tucking away your biggest draw (Hargave Market) upstairs, and lining the ground floor with branch banks. Totally clueless.
What's the difference, first floor, second floor, third floor, do you think people will flock from all over Winnipeg to what is essentially a food court?

Seems to me the market is catered to those working downtown, those attending an event at the arena or those living in the vicinity.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Would have been a good opportunity for a flagship Jets Store.
That would have been nice... the existing Jets Gear store is very cramped.

But I would generally agree with rrskylar on this one, I don't think anyone expected TNS to be a major city-wide attraction. Speaking for myself at least, I expected this to be more or less an office/hotel/residential development with a more prominent retail component than what we're used to...basically like Winnipeg Square or Lombard Place but with the retail at grade instead of underground. The fact that a credit union is occupying one of the CRUs is not surprising. What would have been surprising is if they had landed a tenant that wasn't previously downtown.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 6:28 PM

I was hoping that fancy ice-cream store on Osborne was going to move to TNS.

That's the perfect place for $9 cones.

Why look at a bus depot when you can look at buses. j/k

TNS is like a fantastic zoo setting.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
That would have been nice... the existing Jets Gear store is very cramped.

But I would generally agree with rrskylar on this one, I don't think anyone expected TNS to be a major city-wide attraction. Speaking for myself at least, I expected this to be more or less an office/hotel/residential development with a more prominent retail component than what we're used to...basically like Winnipeg Square or Lombard Place but with the retail at grade instead of underground. The fact that a credit union is occupying one of the CRUs is not surprising. What would have been surprising is if they had landed a tenant that wasn't previously downtown.
It has nothing to do with this being a major attraction or not. It's the simple fact that, in an urban context, the most active uses (restaraunts, cafes, bars) should typically be oriented to and directly accessible from the public sidewalk (or quasi-public plaza or whatever).

But you're right that this was never exactly promised for TNS -- it was pretty clear from the drawings early on that the street levels were going to be dull. I just meant for all the blather from TNSE and professional downtown boosters about *~tRaNsFoRmAtIoN~* we're just ending up with a fairly standard office development you might have seen pop up in downtown Minneapolis 20 years ago.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 7:32 PM

Quote:
It has nothing to do with this being a major attraction or not. It's the simple fact that, in an urban context, the most active uses (restaraunts, cafes, bars) should typically be oriented to and directly accessible from the public sidewalk (or quasi-public plaza or whatever).

But you're right that this was never exactly promised for TNS -- it was pretty clear from the drawings early on that the street levels were going to be dull. I just meant for all the blather from TNSE and professional downtown boosters about *~tRaNsFoRmAtIoN~* we're just ending up with a fairly standard office development you might have seen pop up in downtown Minneapolis 20 years ago.
The city now has two new contemporary-styled office/residential buildings where there once was a surface parking lot. There is currently a new hotel/residence complex being built where there was once a cheap motel, there will be a new office building where a small bookstore currently sits and most likely a new ballet residence building where there is currently a parkade. That sounds like a fair amount of "*~tRaNsFoRmAtIoN~*" in the area to me.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
The city now has two new contemporary-styled office/residential buildings where there once was a surface parking lot. There is currently a new hotel/residence complex being built where there was once a cheap motel, there will be a new office building where a small bookstore currently sits and most likely a new ballet residence building where there is currently a parkade. That sounds like a fair amount of "*~tRaNsFoRmAtIoN~*" in the area to me.
^^^^ This

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 10:27 PM

Just putting it out there -- when Tavern United ends up leaving their space on Graham that will be a much more suitable location for the flagship Jets Gear store. With some light alternations to the interior of the arena it could even be made accessible during events.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan