HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

View Poll Results: What should be given priority for LRT Stage 3?
Rural Rail 2 1.74%
Barrhaven 13 11.30%
South East 0 0%
Kanata 25 21.74%
Gatineau 19 16.52%
Orleans 0 0%
Bank St Subway 32 27.83%
Montreal Road 21 18.26%
Other 3 2.61%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 8:52 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
Yeah, I was thinking something like five, but Hurdman might need to have new south platforms, linked to a shared sheltered bus/tram platform/loop.

(click for large)
Thanks. Not sure about the distances between stations but I'd probably like to see a station between the hospital and Industrial stations (maybe just west of Russell Road with access routes from both the residential area to the north and the industrial and institutional buildings in the area.

Ideally you'd also have one between Science and Sheffield/Walkley, to serve the Southvale/Elmvale area which is already pretty high density.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 9:00 PM

The hospital line makes sense but I'd question the logic of extending it that way. I agree with ending it at Walkley near the 417 (useful P&R link for 417 corridor plus could be a good place for rural transit out that way to connect) but I'd prefer a route that manages to serve Elmvale. Seem a waste to pass so near it without serving it.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 9:23 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityTech View Post
The hospital line makes sense but I'd question the logic of extending it that way. I agree with ending it at Walkley near the 417 (useful P&R link for 417 corridor plus could be a good place for rural transit out that way to connect) but I'd prefer a route that manages to serve Elmvale. Seem a waste to pass so near it without serving it.
He used an existing rail line for the part of his corridor that runs from the science museum to Walkley.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
I like the idea of tram routes and would argue that those should be a priority if we really want to serve residents of the denser, urban neighbourhoods and shift people to transit for all trips, not just commuting.
But "we", as a city, have already decided that we do not want.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
That route takes you to low density industrial focused around incoming and outgoing trucks. Not exactly a transit destination.
A good target for a re-think of how we change land-use over time, though.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 9:59 PM

If we want to capture people coming in on the 417, it is time to think of commuter rail on the VIA rail line that serves that very corridor. I am not that keen on spending a whole pile of our property tax money on very expensive LRT to serve those mostly coming from outside Ottawa. Time for the province to start putting a little cash in.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 10:02 PM
BANNED

Quote:
If we want to capture people coming in on the 417, it is time to think of commuter rail on the VIA rail line that serves that very corridor. I am not that keen on spending a whole pile of our property tax money on very expensive LRT to serve those mostly coming from outside Ottawa. Time for the province to start putting a little cash in.
So, a GO train?

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Thanks. Not sure about the distances between stations but I'd probably like to see a station between the hospital and Industrial stations (maybe just west of Russell Road with access routes from both the residential area to the north and the industrial and institutional buildings in the area.

Ideally you'd also have one between Science and Sheffield/Walkley, to serve the Southvale/Elmvale area which is already pretty high density.
Also, why wouldn't we just follow the pre-approved right-of-way through Pleasant Park (i.e. a right hand turn due south at the hospital) and THEN run the train out on Walkley. Much more residential there...

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 4:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
So, a GO train?

Yes, something that has been discussed at length on this board and we already have the infrastructure in place. It may need upgrading (additional double tracking and new stations and parking lots) but the base infrastructure is there and in good condition.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 4:25 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Yes, something that has been discussed at length on this board and we already have the infrastructure in place. It may need upgrading (additional double tracking and new stations and parking lots) but the base infrastructure is there and in good condition.
So, the Moose was on to something.

It would make sense for Metrolinx to get involved and build up an Ottawa GO transit service.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 4:13 PM

Quote:

It would make sense for Metrolinx to get involved and build up an Ottawa GO transit service.
Yeah, it needs some public investment to make it viable.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 5:49 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Yeah, it needs some public investment to make it viable.
With the current provincial government, that won't happen.

I am surprised that no party has even suggested something for Ottawa area.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 5:52 PM

Quote:
With the current provincial government, that won't happen.

I am surprised that no party has even suggested something for Ottawa area.
No doubt that we will need a change in government to see any meaningful progress there.

I'd like to see Metrolinx get a province-wide mandate as a first step.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 6:01 PM
BANNED

Quote:
No doubt that we will need a change in government to see any meaningful progress there.

That would be a good start.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 6:24 PM

Quote:

Good Day.

.... as long as fulsome and meaningful penalties are entrenched to prevent and penalize political footballing and interference.

Open and public discussion and suggestion - yes, but not behind-the-scene influence peddling and sheer incompetence mongering.

Yeah, right, I know......good luck with that !

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 7:55 PM

Quote:

I would argue that the Ontario should structure it whereas the Department of Transport has 2 Crown agencies. Metrolinx is too GTHA focused to have preview over the entire province. Ontario Northland should be combined with Ottawa regional transportation concerns to form a new crown agency.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 8:45 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeed View Post
I would argue that the Ontario should structure it whereas the Department of Transport has 2 Crown agencies. Metrolinx is too GTHA focused to have preview over the entire province. Ontario Northland should be combined with Ottawa regional transportation concerns to form a new crown agency.
Why do you want to make even more government bureaucracy?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 9:16 PM

Quote:

Do you want sprawl like the GTA? Because this is how you get sprawl like the GTA.

The GO Train system has probably contributed as much (if not more) than the freeway network in the GTA to sprawl.

It's bad enough they want to take the LRT to the end of Olreans and Kanata. Adding a commuter rail system on top would make this city more of a sprawling suburban mess than even its current destiny.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by passwordisnt123 View Post
I like it. I think interlining one side of the network and not the other will eventually prove to be a problem that will be difficult to resolve in the long term. On the one hand, I think Kanata and Barrhaven residents will be clamouring for more frequency once the LRT gets out to them. On the other hand, once Orleans residents get used to their service level, it'll be hard politically to interline them so that only half of the trains go out there.

I think interlining on the east side is a good idea, I just think it'll take somebody with courage to push for it and I'm not sure Watson's the man for that job.
I agree with having to balance the west and east end branches. I would rather see LRT put on, preferably under Montreal Rd and stop it at Hwy 174 initially and later extend it along Innes Road in Orleans.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Good God. Why?

I would like to see Metrolinx become restricted to the GTHA. And take over all GTHA transport, including roads and cab licensing. A la Transport for London.

Split Presto off and make it an MTO Division since it applies provincially.

As for Ontario Northland, talk with VIA about taking it over and provide a service charter and subsidies to enable VIA operating it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation