HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

111 West 57th Street in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Dec 5, 2014, 3:28 PM
New Yorker for life

Some reading for those interested in ongoing work on the landmarked Steinway Hall, or foundation for such a tall, slender tower...

FOUNDATION

STEINWAY HALL

Older pic of the landmark...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2014, 5:22 AM

Hieght Change?

Wasn't this baby supposed to be 1 foot taller then 432 park? What's up? Is this a roof height/crown issue?

Old Posted Dec 10, 2014, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete8680 View Post

Wasn't this baby supposed to be 1 foot taller then 432 park? What's up? Is this a roof height/crown issue?
No, as far as I know this was always going to be a little shorter than 432 Park.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2014, 1:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guiltyspark View Post
No, as far as I know this was always going to be a little shorter than 432 Park.
Ok thanks but I could of sworn there was a least 1 proposal that was just gonna b a foot or 2 taller then 432 Park.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2014, 2:10 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guiltyspark View Post
The most recent figure we've seen is 1397', the exact same as 432 park.

What makes people say otherwise?

Old Posted Dec 13, 2014, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
The most recent figure we've seen is 1397', the exact same as 432 park.

What makes people say otherwise?
I have seen 1396, 1397 and 1398 ft. for 432 Park. 1398 being the most common.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 4:30 AM

I suppose it's all relative, but arguing over a foot or two in a 1397'er seems like billionaires arguing over a couple dollars on a paycheck to somebody from a boom city hoping for just one super tall. After walking by the site I'm still amazed that they're building anything never mind something anything close to a thousand feet, never mind taller.

On a side note, this city is amazing. If any of my pictures turn out a good as I hope I'll add them where applicable.
Today, our town lost what remains of its fragile civility, drowned in a sea of low fat pudding. We are a town of lowbrows, no-brows and ignorami. We have eight malls but no symphony. Thirty-two bars but no alternative theater. Thirteen stores that begin with "Le Sex." I write this letter not to nag or whine but to prod. We can better ourselves!
-Lisa Simpson

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 11:36 PM
New Yorker for life

If this keeps up, you see more of this type of development...

http://therealdeal.com/blog/2014/12/...e-haven-video/

Russian investors flock to NYC “safe haven”

December 16, 2014

Quote:
Russian investors are among the big-pocketed foreigners flocking to the New York City real estate market. Donald Lutt of Colliers International and Tamir Shemesh of the Corcoran Group told CNBC that the city is the safest place for foreigners’ investments.

“From a worldwide standpoint, Manhattan real estate is truly the ultimate safe haven. There is liquidity, strong demand, and because Manhattan is an island, a limited supply of future product,” Lutt told the network.

Shemesh said $120 billion is expected to leave Russia by the end of the year. By late 2015, $80 billion is projected to leave, he said. “I would think and assume that some of this money will come in and be translated into purchases of real estate in New York City,” Shemesh said. “It could be residential, it could be commercial, anything.”

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2014, 2:31 AM
Homo sapiens sapiens

^^ Seems like a lot of money... Good for skyscraper fans in New York though

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

Old Posted Dec 17, 2014, 5:14 AM

If this were to be the last skyscraper to rise in NYC, I could live with that. It takes my breath away and I am very anxious to see this start going vertical!

Old Posted Dec 22, 2014, 3:29 AM

Old Posted Dec 22, 2014, 4:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dendenden View Post
If this were to be the last skyscraper to rise in NYC, I could live with that. It takes my breath away and I am very anxious to see this start going vertical!
I concur. This building is a beauty that will be praised by future generations.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2014, 3:28 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILNY View Post

This is a complicated development, and there is more work going on inside than out, but there is progress being made.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2014, 5:32 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.rew-online.com/2014/12/18...im-the-winner/

By Konrad Putzier
DECEMBER 18, 2014

Quote:
...Flush with money from the Walker Tower and with luxury sales booming across the city, it made perfect sense for Stern and Maloney to take their strategy to the next level.

In March 2013, the developers bought the Steinway Building at 109 West 57th Street for $46 million. They already owned the adjacent parcel at 105 West 57th Street, and the combined lot offered enough width and air rights to build one of the city’s tallest residential towers.

This February, the developers broke ground on a 1,350-foot hotel and condo tower designed by SHoP architects. They are currently looking for a $500 million construction loan, with Maloney saying they have “a couple of offers” from banks.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2015, 9:07 PM

DANIEL GEIGER
JANUARY 4, 2015

Quote:
Meanwhile, Kevin Maloney, a co-developer of the 60-foot-wide, 1,400-foot-tall tower at 111 W. 57th St., offering views of Central Park, believes his project can double the $3,000 per square foot he needs just to break even. At least one big financier agrees with him: Mr. Maloney said they're finalizing a deal to secure a half-billion-dollar construction loan from a major financial institution.
http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...ting-headwinds

Old Posted Jan 6, 2015, 12:54 PM
New Yorker for life

Moving along as planned...

Quote:
Dec 18

This February, the developers broke ground on a hotel and condo tower designed by SHoP architects. They are currently looking for a $500 million construction loan, with Maloney saying they have “a couple of offers” from banks.

Quote:
Jan 4

Mr. Maloney said they're finalizing a deal to secure a half-billion-dollar construction loan from a major financial institution.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2015, 10:08 PM
New Yorker for life

And finally today, construction permits are fully approved.

http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/Jo...ssdocnumber=01

Quote:
APPROVED 01/06/2015

FILING FOR ENLARGEMENT OF EXISTING STRUCTURE AS SHOWN ON DRAWINGS FILED HEREWITH.

Building Height (ft.): Existing: 150
Proposed: 1397

Building Stories: Existing: 15
Proposed: 80

Dwelling Units: Existing: 0
Proposed: 55

Those 55 units will give us a great skyline icon.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2015, 10:27 PM

Just blows my mind how small this site is for a 1400' building. Has to be a record of some sort. I see pictures of it and can't wrap my head around it.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2015, 6:51 PM
New Yorker for life

The main tower itself will have a smaller width (east to west) than 432 Park.

http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/Jo...ssdocnumber=02

Quote:
01/06/2015

PAA FILED TO REMOVE ENTIRE SPRINKLER SYSTEM AT THIS TIME FOR FULL INTERIOR DEM OLITION. NEW TEMPORARY DRY STANDPIPE SYSTEM HAS BEEN INSTALLED AS PER 12214466 0. ALL SLABS TO BE REMOVED, AND NO HEAT IN ENTIRE BUILDING.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2015, 7:27 PM
New Yorker for life

Depending on which treatment it gets at the top, this tower will either be 1,421 ft of 1,413 ft.

The top five floors will be mechanical, with some open levels above that.

Last edited by NYguy; Jan 7, 2015 at 7:48 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive