HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 6:27 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
Minneapolis, Denver, and Chicago have some nice connections too.
Winnipeg should certainly position itself as a major hub for Canadian and US traffic heading to Asia or Europe. It's central position in north America makes it ideally located to steal traffic away from places like Chicago and Minneapolis.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 3:03 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

A Frankfurt direct flight out of here would make for some dandy deals on ski vacations given Europe's current economic climate. When we last went (1985) it was far cheaper to ski the Innsbruck area for two weeks that it was to ski Whistler for one week!

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Winnipeg should certainly position itself as a major hub for Canadian and US traffic heading to Asia or Europe. It's central position in north America makes it ideally located to steal traffic away from places like Chicago and Minneapolis.
I want to know what you've been smoking. Also, KLM's 787s are the larger version. Also, KLM is part of Skyteam, which includes Delta at Minneapolis. Also, until it doesn't make sense to hop the border to get cheaper flights this won't be economical.

Last edited by MalcolmTucker; Jan 18, 2013 at 4:07 PM.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 3:58 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
I want to know what you've been smoking.
It could definately be a hub airport, similar to Edmonton or Halifax. Completely within the realm of possibility.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 4:00 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Edmonton and Halifax would be considered "focus" cities at best.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 4:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Edmonton and Halifax would be considered "focus" cities at best.
Well then, perhaps a step up

PS it's quite interesting to see all the "outsiders" taking an interest in the airport!

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 4:24 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

I visit YWG once a year on business, such a nice change to have the new terminal!

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 4:42 PM

I thought I had heard once that Winnipeg is actually closer to some Europe/Asia cities than other NA cities because of the ability to fly north (and because of great-circle flight paths).

However, when I looked it up using Google Maps' measurement tool, I couldn't really find any good examples. Moscow (if I recall correctly) was slightly closer to Winnipeg than Toronto, but that was about it. Of course compared to some American cities it's probably closer, but I was unable to find a city that was significantly closer to Winnipeg than both Vancouver and Toronto.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 4:49 PM

The View From Seven blog has a pretty good rundown of the likeliest new routes in and out of Winnipeg:

http://theviewfromseven.wordpress.co...al-new-routes/

For the foreseeable future, Canada is going to continue to have one major international gateway (Toronto) along with three lesser gateways (Vancouver, Calgary, Montreal). There is little chance of Winnipeg joining those ranks anytime soon.

The most likely path to improving WJARIA is in bolstering the number of domestic and transborder destinations - Edmonton, Ottawa and Halifax are good examples of second-tier airports that offer a wide range of destinations in North America, and provide us with good models to follow. Having direct access to a couple of additional US hubs (for example, Newark, Atlanta or San Francisco) would probably make more of a difference in the long run than would 5x a week service direct to London.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 5:07 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypinion View Post
However, when I looked it up using Google Maps' measurement tool, I couldn't really find any good examples. Moscow (if I recall correctly) was slightly closer to Winnipeg than Toronto, but that was about it. Of course compared to some American cities it's probably closer, but I was unable to find a city that was significantly closer to Winnipeg than both Vancouver and Toronto.
You need a globe and a string!

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 5:09 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Or use this great program:

http://www.gcmap.com/

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
You need a globe and a string!
Google Maps mimics that with its Measurement Tool, it does do 'curved' paths.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 9:19 PM
Closed account

A map roughly showing which parts of the earth are closest to YWG compared to YVR and YYZ.

I believe Moscow is slightly closer to Toronto than Winnipeg; however, Karachi, and Lahore both have air service from Toronto and are closer to Winnipeg than they are to Toronto. When you are flying halfway around the world, though, there's really not much difference between any of them. Incidentally, there is also service to Islamabad from Toronto; however, although Winnipeg is closer, Vancouver is ever so slightly closer yet (difference of 12 km).

Last edited by eemy; Jan 18, 2013 at 9:40 PM. Reason: something less enormous

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_haak View Post
A map showing which parts of the earth are closest to YWG compared to YVR and YYZ.
Going by that map, looks like YWG has a distinct geographic advantage when it comes to direct flights to Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan and parts of Siberia!

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 9:34 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Going by that map, looks like YWG has a distinct geographic advantage when it comes to direct flights to Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan and parts of Siberia!
YWG is also perfectly situated as a hub for flights from NA to Afghanistan!

Old Posted Jan 19, 2013, 1:28 AM
Heart of the Continent

Yeah, this Asia thing just isn't happening.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2013, 4:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
Yeah, this Asia thing just isn't happening.
When Calgary can only support an Air Canada 767 to Tokyo a few days a week; it is hard to see Winnipeg becoming a hub to Asia.

For a major airline to make any of these overseas flights work they need to be able to fill a good part of the business/first class cabin with paying passengers. Does Winnipeg have the number of head offices that can fill the premium seats?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2013, 4:46 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
I want to know what you've been smoking.
Perhaps you should check a map, and flight paths between north America and Eurasia before making daft comments like you just did. The potential for Winnipeg as a hub is well known; don't tell me it's never dawned on you?

Makes you realize that even the obvious isn't obvious to some people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinook View Post
It could definately be a hub airport, similar to Edmonton or Halifax. Completely within the realm of possibility.
Thank you. They've got a gold mine of a location and they don't even know it.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2013, 4:50 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypinion View Post
I thought I had heard once that Winnipeg is actually closer to some Europe/Asia cities than other NA cities because of the ability to fly north (and because of great-circle flight paths).

The point is that there's no reason why Winnipeg can't be that hub. To not try is simply an opportunity lost. At the very least, Winnipeg could siphon off traffic that currently gets funneled through Minneapolis and Chicago.

You don't see Niagara Falls airport in upstate New York conclude that they cant' compete with Toronto Pearson. Quite the contrary, they're stealing tons of traffic because they realized that can offer it cheaper. Not only can Winnipeg offer it cheaper than Minneapolis, Chicago, and the upper midwest, but they've got location on their side.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2013, 4:52 AM
Heart of the Continent

There is a reason we can't be that hub. We're too far away from other major cities.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan