HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 5, 2022, 4:01 AM

Old Posted Jul 5, 2022, 4:02 AM

Don’t move to Costa Rica it’s very dangerous there . JK. BomberJet you are like my wife and I , we do lots of stuff downtown and being scared isn’t in our mindset , just carry on with life and you will be ok 99% of the time !

Old Posted Jul 5, 2022, 4:09 AM

Esquire , I get your post but lots of cities have issues and somtimes a bad thing will happen but you can’t be scared to go , I’ve been to lots of North American cities from Chicago to New York Boston to Dallas to name a few and lots of shit happens there , and they are areas in those cities that you definitely don’t go to but you don’t stop going period . Those cities have many more shootings and crime than most of Canada put together but people go and I think generally feel safe . New York has a huge police presence downtown that makes people feel safe for sure .

Old Posted Jul 5, 2022, 4:46 AM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
i went for a burger at white top yesterday on Burrows. Riding back I took Scotia but after Redwood I ended up on main street. Honestly, I was completely on edge the entire time. I got to Logan and cut west because I could see the sidewalk ahead of me and wasn't prepared to go through it. I was embarrassed of myself for feeling that way but I couldn't help it. It shook me.
The next time you're in my area of town send an email. I'm always down for having burger lunch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
We don't need vigilant, but we need groups like Bear Clan to patrol. This would help a lot. It's made a huge difference for Selkirk Ave , I know we still get murders on Selkirk but it's nothing like it was 10 years ago.
Hey Highwayman, I'd love to chat about what you think is working on Selkirk Ave. I personally love it, but a lot of people seem to think it's a dying area.

If you don't mind losing your anonymity, send me an email (although I can keep secrets) -- steve.for.mynarski@gmail.com.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2022, 1:14 PM

I think we all forget that it’s truly the people in Downtown and the North End that are and will be suffering the most from these crime waves in the foreseeable future. This miniscule minority of vagrants roaming around is only hurting the small businesses and lives of the large working class community present in these neighborhoods. It’s not us who are quite frankly mostly in the suburbs providing an outside opinion on this matter that are losing our quality of life. Decades of underfunding services, amenities, and infrastructure in these areas in favour of the South is rearing its ugly head. It’s basically the Canadian version of redlining and it’s disgusting. Of course as a visible minority or Indigenous person you’re just expected to deal with it. A lot of the posts here seem to come from a background of white privilege who haven’t had to face the realities for all of us with no political clout have just thought of as second nature to their lives. Or on a broader scale even realized what the world is truly like outside of your western Eurocentric bubble. For those of us here who have truly lived in poverty such as myself I’m telling you it is much harder to “get out of the hood” then people are led to believe because the whole system and in some cases your support network is completely against your progression or want a piece of the pie. Then there’s the exceptional talents in the area who get unrealistic expectations placed upon them because the outlook is so bleak otherwise. There’s just so much pressure with very little support.

Think about this. How different would your life and the perception of your future be if you were to grow up in the North End or Downtown rather then one of our suburbs? Seeing those shards of glass, homeless people, boarded up windows, crater sized potholes everywhere, and crime would you believe there is a bright future ahead? I even ask myself if I stayed and grew up on Burrows and Sinclair rather then moving to St. Vital and later Bridgwater how would I have turned out.

I remember there was a Vice documentary about the gangs in Winnipeg 7 years ago and the gang leader correctly predicted the illicit activities would only get further rampant because the writing was virtually on the wall. Kids are hyper aware of their surrounding and we’ve as a city failed the youth in the inner city by allowing these areas to become so dilapidated. Low and behold we have gotten ourselves into the situation we have today.

Personally I will continue to be visiting areas like the Downtown, Forks, and North End often because if you treat the residents as equals and educate yourself on reconciliation you won’t be surmised to this type of behaviour. Of course this is anecdotal but I’ve been to the Forks and North End about 4-5 times in the last 2 weeks for volunteer work and just for fun honestly and nothing has happened to me and I’ve not once felt unsafe. What I see is a lot of people in the community addressing the problem and trying with what little power they have to truly improve the area and create a brighter future for the youth.

Last edited by thebasketballgeek; Jul 5, 2022 at 1:32 PM.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2022, 2:16 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
I think we all forget that it’s truly the people in Downtown and the North End that are and will be suffering the most from these crime waves in the foreseeable future. This miniscule minority of vagrants roaming around is only hurting the small businesses and lives of the large working class community present in these neighborhoods. It’s not us who are quite frankly mostly in the suburbs providing an outside opinion on this matter that are losing our quality of life. Decades of underfunding services, amenities, and infrastructure in these areas in favour of the South is rearing its ugly head. It’s basically the Canadian version of redlining and it’s disgusting. Of course as a visible minority or Indigenous person you’re just expected to deal with it. A lot of the posts here seem to come from a background of white privilege who haven’t had to face the realities for all of us with no political clout have just thought of as second nature to their lives. Or on a broader scale even realized what the world is truly like outside of your western Eurocentric bubble. For those of us here who have truly lived in poverty such as myself I’m telling you it is much harder to “get out of the hood” then people are led to believe because the whole system and in some cases your support network is completely against your progression or want a piece of the pie. Then there’s the exceptional talents in the area who get unrealistic expectations placed upon them because the outlook is so bleak otherwise. There’s just so much pressure with very little support.

Think about this. How different would your life and the perception of your future be if you were to grow up in the North End or Downtown rather then one of our suburbs? Seeing those shards of glass, homeless people, boarded up windows, crater sized potholes everywhere, and crime would you believe there is a bright future ahead? I even ask myself if I stayed and grew up on Burrows and Sinclair rather then moving to St. Vital and later Bridgwater how would I have turned out.

I remember there was a Vice documentary about the gangs in Winnipeg 7 years ago and the gang leader correctly predicted the illicit activities would only get further rampant because the writing was virtually on the wall. Kids are hyper aware of their surrounding and we’ve as a city failed the youth in the inner city by allowing these areas to become so dilapidated. Low and behold we have gotten ourselves into the situation we have today.

Personally I will continue to be visiting areas like the Downtown, Forks, and North End often because if you treat the residents as equals and educate yourself on reconciliation you won’t be surmised to this type of behaviour. Of course this is anecdotal but I’ve been to the Forks and North End about 4-5 times in the last 2 weeks for volunteer work and just for fun honestly and nothing has happened to me and I’ve not once felt unsafe. What I see is a lot of people in the community addressing the problem and trying with what little power they have to truly improve the area and create a brighter future for the youth.
Stopped reading at the toxic leftist term "white privilege" that somehow assumes all white people come from the same background!

Old Posted Jul 5, 2022, 2:28 PM

Homicide in Saint norbert now Ukrainian refugees plan to flee city after attack at the forks. These headlines in the free press today paint how bad the situation has become. The mayoral candidates still all silent on this crime is disturbing and extremely disappointing.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2022, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Homicide in Saint norbert now Ukrainian refugees plan to flee city after attack at the forks. These headlines in the free press today paint how bad the situation has become. The mayoral candidates still all silent on this crime is disturbing and extremely disappointing.
https://twitter.com/Glen4Wpg/status/1544166531386458112

Old Posted Jul 5, 2022, 3:56 PM

Finally someone standing up good on Glen

Old Posted Jul 5, 2022, 3:58 PM

It's not much, but at least it's something.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2022, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post

Thoughtful comment, thanks. I share the frustration of many posters but, as a criminologist, I can say that "tough on crime" approaches tend to be pretty ineffective at actually reducing crime. They make for good slogans, and they feel satisfying, but we need to address root causes. We can't simply police our way out of this.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2022, 4:27 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temperance View Post
Thoughtful comment, thanks. I share the frustration of many posters but, as a criminologist, I can say that "tough on crime" approaches tend to be pretty ineffective at actually reducing crime. They make for good slogans, and they feel satisfying, but we need to address root causes. We can't simply police our way out of this.
The metrics for WPS's Crime Reduction programming illustrates this perfectly...

Metrics we actually want tracked: crime rate per 100k (or something similar).

What actually gets tracked: social media followers, WPS website hits, citizen satisfaction with WPS.

Three other programs (all in Community Services) mention that their programs are aimed at crime reduction/prevention, yet Police Services sees 100% of the funding (about $36 million) for from these programs.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2022, 5:03 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temperance View Post
Talk to actual people involved in law enforcement about what they think about community policing and soft on crime policies for a real answer!

Left wing textbook BS doesn’t cut it in real time! Crime has increased annually since 2016 in this city with our soft on crime police chief, mayor and clueless city council! Those living in more disadvantaged areas of the city are hurt the most by soft on crime initiatives!

Old Posted Jul 5, 2022, 6:30 PM
surely you agree with me

Last edited by trueviking; Jul 5, 2022 at 9:39 PM.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2022, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Talk to actual people involved in law enforcement about what they think about community policing and soft on crime policies for a real answer!
I have to say I'm not convinced that police are always going to recommend the most effective policing strategies.

I mean, if you listen to the police union, you'd think that the best crime deterrent was unlimited pensionable overtime for their members.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2022, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
I have to say I'm not convinced that police are always going to recommend the most effective policing strategies.

I mean, if you listen to the police union, you'd think that the best crime deterrent was unlimited pensionable overtime for their members.
Exactly.

The police union exists to do one thing; grow the union. We need to remember this when the spin starts that claims the union has the best interests of the city and its people at heart.

We need efforts to attack the causes of crime as well as reacting to it after it's happened.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Jul 5, 2022, 7:54 PM

To the tough on crime stance. Sorry soft on crime has Proven to not work in any single city in the world. I'm not saying we have to be like the USA and incarcerate everyone. But I'm sorry, hugs and kisses are not going to stop some punk kid from stabbing innocent people. It actually makes them more likely to do it as they know NOTHING will happen.

As for WHITe Privileged crap comment. Well almost all my family lived in the north end. Redwood, Church etc. When I was a kid my grandmother would take me on the bus from St vital to her sisters who just lived north of Selkirk Avenue. I as a little kid in the 80's remember walking Selkirk and the side streets as if they were just like anywhere in suburban Winnipeg. No worries at all. Then the 90's came and that area went down hill fast. I remember the slum landlord's buying up everything. Then just renting them out to anyone without a care as all they cared about was money. I'll be honest most of those slum landlord's were from Pakistan and India and Egypt. Very few were white. And as the house value tanked near the end of the 90's even more trouble. I remember right around 2000 you could literally get a house for $5000 in the area around Selkirk Avenue. No one wanted to live there anymore. Crime was through the roof thanks to the slum landlord's. But by 2010-2015 things started to change. The city amazingly stopped allowing the slum landlord's and made them sorta fix these homes up. Then in the last 10 years with the help of Bear Clan and other groups the area has really turned around.. Is it like it was when I was a kid in the 80's ? Hell no. But it sure the fck isn't like it was in the late 90's. So my point is things can turn around.

Also I lived a dirt poor life and so did my mother. Yet she dragged her ass out of the hole and so did I. I also was hard into the drugs back in the day..yet again I dragged myself out of it as I wanted to have a better life. No program was offered to me. I had to do it myself and I did it because I wanted to be better. My point is you can throw all the programs at these kids as you want. But untill they themselves want to change , they won't. From the moment they are in school they need to be taught with alot harder spoon sort of speak. Parents need to actually be parents rather then just make more babies and push them out door. But those kids also need repercussions when they commit a serious crime like we have been seeing. The youth center isn't going to hurt them. But it sure might make them think a little harder the next time they want to be in a bad mood and take it out on people.

Oh ya....and that bus ride back in the 80's with grandma....it was Fun and Safe. Even in the North End. As an adult now, heck I won't even take a bus in the south end of the city. And that's thanks to the homeless shelter bus shacks, the fact that even on the RT line you have some sketchy as fuck people just seemingly waiting for you. The buses stink as anyone who's high or drunk gets on free, like who the fckk thought giving free bus rides was a good idea??????

I won't move out of the city either though. I won't stop riding my bike on the weekends to the forks or the exchange. But I'll be honest. I always carry a can of Bear spray .

Old Posted Jul 5, 2022, 8:17 PM

I know it is an unpopular concept to many, but 'white privilege' has nothing to do with your wealth or background. It has entirely to do with the fact that it is a privelege in and of itself to have white (or frankly, light toned skin, never actually met a 'white' person) skin. As in that alone will get you better treatment in most places in NA and Europe. If you don't believe that to be true, fine. Just stop misrepresenting the concept. It isn't complicated, and all the faux 'I was poor, too' outrage doesn't change that.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2022, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars65 View Post
I know it is an unpopular concept to many, but 'white privilege' has nothing to do with your wealth or background. It has entirely to do with the fact that it is a privelege in and of itself to have white (or frankly, light toned skin, never actually met a 'white' person) skin. As in that alone will get you better treatment in most places in NA and Europe. If you don't believe that to be true, fine. Just stop misrepresenting the concept. It isn't complicated, and all the faux 'I was poor, too' outrage doesn't change that.
Doesn't seem to be working in Ukraine right now. Didn't really work well in the Balkans either. Shit, Europe has what... 4-5 genocides under their belt from just the past 100 years? All white people exterminating white people. The idea that so-called "white" people have formed an alliance and are out to get anyone who isn't white is the biggest farce ever. We HATE each other. As person of Irish heritage who married into a Greek family... holy shit... not easy.

Pick up a white meth addict from Selkirk Ave and send them to China... see how much respect they get. Sorry, princess, but you get respect when you travel when you have MONEY. Ask someone from Malindi, Phuket, or Goa for their opinion on the white backpacker filth they have to put up with.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2022, 10:02 PM

I find it unfortunate that most here are talking about fleeing the city and so on and tough or soft on crime and ignoring questions about why it is happening. it largely has its roots in poverty, homelessness and drug abuse. People aren't born to wreak havoc in downtown Winnipeg. So what can be done about it? Right now there is a mayoral race and these issues should be number one. But any mayor is going to need help from the provincial government to pursue certain policies, provide adequate services, and have the resources to do so. Where is the provincial government on all these issues that are afflicting the province's major city and most of its residents? Does anyone know? it's pretty much been crickets on the state of the capital city.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan