HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 3:08 PM

I am not sure if skyskrapers alone attract investment and capital, but I do agree that our main arterial roads into and out of Saskatoon need major overhauls. They certainly do not currently provide that "welcome to our beautiful and progressive" city kind of vibe.

I know we have the Idylwyld plan under way, but a lot more needs to be done!

Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
I am not sure if skyskrapers alone attract investment and capital, but I do agree that our main arterial roads into and out of Saskatoon need major overhauls. They certainly do not currently provide that "welcome to our beautiful and progressive" city kind of vibe.

I know we have the Idylwyld plan under way, but a lot more needs to be done!
I would agree and disagree. While a skyscraper may not necessarily drive investment by itself, development exploiting current gaps in the market will lead to further investors hoping to bridge a gap in the market. A new skyscraper may not drive investment by itself, however, a project like River Landing clearly showed the current demand for new commercial and residential development in the heart of the city. Investors are keen to allows others to risk money on new ventures and then will flock to an opportunity when it proves to be profitable.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 7:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBoy View Post
I would agree and disagree. While a skyscraper may not necessarily drive investment by itself, development exploiting current gaps in the market will lead to further investors hoping to bridge a gap in the market. A new skyscraper may not drive investment by itself, however, a project like River Landing clearly showed the current demand for new commercial and residential development in the heart of the city. Investors are keen to allows others to risk money on new ventures and then will flock to an opportunity when it proves to be profitable.
Exactly. There will always be those who have the vision, guts and smarts to see opportunity before anyone else, and they will be successful as a result. Then there are those with money who look to follow other’s examples and invest where others have pioneered. Even building and developments follow this pattern. Don’t be surprised if a few other significant projects pop up over the next few years, only because the presence of other successful projects (this one) lead the way.

Remember, this is four towers and a plaza filling a single (small) city block. Each of these five developments would warrant their own thread on this forum if they weren’t being built together right next to each other. This IS damned significant, and players in the development game across Canada will be quietly taking notice, as they seek out the greenest pastures to plant their next project.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 2:57 PM

One could say that the River Landing project is already having a spinoff effect as Urban Capital is now planning their 2nd project in Saskatoon.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
One could say that the River Landing project is already having a spinoff effect as Urban Capital is now planning their 2nd project in Saskatoon.
Now someone just needs to convince them to do the same in Regina so I have something to be excited about closer to home. Saskatoon is setting an example of how smaller cities should be developing their urban areas.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 6:10 PM

I can assure you that there's plenty being built in Saskatoon that should not serve as an example to anywhere

Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 6:18 PM

They are almost finished installing a glass railing around an outdoor space on roof of the SE (nearest) corner of the building.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 8:26 PM

That will be the most spectacular area in Saskatoon to access....I hope the public DO get access to the winter garden and rooftop. Can you imagine a high end restaurant up there?? would be nice!

Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 8:28 PM

Anyone know the status of the last 10 units left? They have now had about 4 weekends of open houses, so curious if these units are moving or not. I know a couple were on lower floors and facing Remai roof, so not the most desirable.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
That will be the most spectacular area in Saskatoon to access....I hope the public DO get access to the winter garden and rooftop. Can you imagine a high end restaurant up there?? would be nice!
That's the plan. The SW portion of the 13th floor is roughed in for a restaurant, though I don't believe a deal with one has been inked yet.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2019, 1:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
That's the plan. The SW portion of the 13th floor is roughed in for a restaurant, though I don't believe a deal with one has been inked yet.
Is there any possibility of a restaurant being located at the top of the Nutrien Tower? I would much prefer dining at a restaurant 90+ metres up.
That would be a spectacular view of the river valley.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2019, 6:09 PM

My understanding is that the Nutrient Tower’s winter garden will be private tenant space for Nutrien.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2019, 8:01 PM
ARTchitecture

Yeah I'm pretty sure they stated that in one of the press releases. I'm surprised that the shorter tower is supposed to have one! That is awesome and will be a seriously big city experience, probably the only highrise restaurant in any city in the country under 700 000.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2019, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
Tomas the Cook is a prospective tenant.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2019, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Ralph View Post
Tomas the Cook is a prospective tenant.
I am sure a restaurant on top will do well for a few years, but many roof top restaurants are prone to eventual failure. I truly hope that this will not be the case, but even the restaurant on top of Saskatoon Square (Villy's?) closed. My favourite roof top restaurant was Cloud 9 on the 47th floor of what was once known as the Sheraton Landmark in Vancouver. It revolved once per hour and afforded a fantastic view.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2019, 12:15 AM

Sorry for my negligence, who are the tenants in the smaller tower?

Edit: question was already answered in the construction thread, I forgot I had originally posted it there.

Winnipeg | A Picture Thread - Updated October 2023

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Last edited by Wpg_Guy; Aug 11, 2019 at 3:03 AM.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 4:05 AM

Adding webcam to new page...

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 4:10 AM

Big pour today... the first portion of the at-grade slab. One can see the beginnings of the tower footprint.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 3:13 AM

Construction at River Landing with the Highpoint site in the foreground:

https://www.facebook.com/UrbanCapita...type=3&theater

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 7:15 PM

The city should have looked at the mistakes made in other cities before building the tallest buildings right on the river.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan