HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 27, 2019, 6:52 PM
BANNED

so I guess railside isn't starting this year?

Old Posted Oct 27, 2019, 7:52 PM

Maybe The Forks can just let Skinner's run a hot dog cart somewhere on the grounds and call it a day.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2019, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
With all due respect, do we really know how The Forks handled this? Don't the articles focus mainly on the perspective of Skinners and their customers? From their viewpoint I can see how they would be miffed, but there are two sides to every story, and sometimes an "injustice" is in the eyes of the beholder.
BINGO!

If you're a business owner, you'll always spin this in a way that looks favourable to you.

I worked for an organization years ago that got a bunch of bad press for kicking out a daycare without notice. Except that was never the case. The daycare was given 9 months notice ( much more than required under the lease), and the organization offered to assist them in finding new space. The daycare operator sat on their hands until zero hour and went to the press complaining they were booted without notice.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 9:15 PM

Opening in December at The Forks, a finish style sauna, this is really awesome and it will really help Winnipeg embrace being a winter city.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 10:38 PM

Looks like the spa will be housed in the old rib restaurant. This is a very interesting choice for this location. I'll be interested to see how it turn out.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2019, 4:26 PM

That’s a really small area, I would thing it would need an addition for change rooms / showers. Love the idea!

Old Posted Nov 3, 2019, 3:04 AM

Wow that sauna project seems a little out of place. Why would anyone want to be walking around there in a towel. When I think of an outdoor sauna I don’t think of a high traffic area on the way to a skating trail. Doesn’t seem like a relaxing or appropriate environment. Something like this would have been more suited for the point across the bridge. Just more private and more intimate.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2019, 4:20 AM
surely you agree with me

SKIP at parcel 4 is dead.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2019, 4:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
I’m actually happy this is not happening there, I prefer the original vision the forks had for that area.

Instagram

Old Posted Nov 3, 2019, 5:06 AM

SKIP at parcel 4 is dead

Quote:
So instead maybe a 30 floor tower in downtown central?????? Portage & Main? 416 main? True North 6 ??? Former SKYCITY property?????????

Old Posted Nov 3, 2019, 5:18 AM
surely you agree with me

Nope.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2019, 5:31 AM

Quote:
Nope.
A new build on a parking lot on Bannatyne??

Instagram

Old Posted Nov 3, 2019, 5:51 AM

Perhaps it's for the best...as long as this doesn't mean that they're moving the headquarters to a different city.

I really would have liked to have seen what the building was going to look like, sounded like it would have been pretty cool with all the wood.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2019, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
I’m actually happy this is not happening there, I prefer the original vision the forks had for that area.
Yeah, not having Skip the Dishes at The Forks is probably better for The Forks itself. It would be unfortunate if their plans were to "skip" town altogether, though.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2019, 2:49 PM

Maybe it will be that concrete building trueviking posted in the exchange thread, I really hope that one gets built.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2019, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Yeah, not having Skip the Dishes at The Forks is probably better for The Forks itself. It would be unfortunate if their plans were to "skip" town altogether, though.
Doing a search for "Skip the Dishes news" brings up a lot of references to law suits and messed up orders (but currently no reference to their Forks plan being abandoned). I have never used their service, but I wonder if the bloom is off the rose for that company? Maybe they simply couldn't afford to build a "campus" of buildings at the Forks any more.

Of course now this brings up what could go into that space that would generate the revenue The Forks needs to be self sustaining?

Old Posted Nov 3, 2019, 3:55 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
Opening in December at The Forks, a finish style sauna, this is really awesome and it will really help Winnipeg embrace being a winter city.

I just don't like the pervy guy and the psycho guy dancing at the campfire at this Finnish Sauna.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2019, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
It does make you wonder, especially since Calgary is practically begging companies to relocate there to fill their glut of vacant office space.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2019, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
It does make you wonder, especially since Calgary is practically begging companies to relocate there to fill their glut of vacant office space.
While this is a possibility, I can’t see it happening. Encana just made itself American, which suggests to me, given the political climate in Alberta, that we could see a similar pulling of corporate head offices out of Calgary, much like what happened to Montréal before the big referendum in 95. Alberta needs to be very very careful.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2019, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
While this is a possibility, I can’t see it happening. Encana just made itself American, which suggests to me, given the political climate in Alberta, that we could see a similar pulling of corporate head offices out of Calgary, much like what happened to Montréal before the big referendum in 95. Alberta needs to be very very careful.
I would tend to agree, though of course I have no idea what the Skip the Dishes management is thinking right now. My impression, however, is that more companies tend to follow trends rather than make them. They look at companies like Encana and ask themselves "do they know something I don't?". They might also look at the whole "Wexit" silliness and feel Alberta isn't as stable a place as they would like to build a headquarters. Just conjecture on my part, of course.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan