HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 7:56 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyAlweg View Post
As for The Pearl.... um... I just got back from a long weekend in Portland. I was in the Pearl District a couple different nights, and it's definitely changed.

The Pearl now seemed to attract a very Beaverton-esque crowd on weekends, and definitely not the "hip urban" crowd I think the Pearl was trying for around '05.
= haha, but I don't get it. If there's a joke in there, I must have missed it.

I'll tell you exactly who The Pearl is trying to attract: People. Shops and restaurants in The Pearl are there to make money. It's really that simple. If people from Beaverton come to The Pearl and spend their money there, it's a victory not just for the shops they spend their money in but also for The Pearl as a whole.

Certainly, there have been restaurants in The Pearl that tried to be too hip for the room and many of them failed. That sort of poor judgment is their own fault.

I live downtown and have zero interest in living in Beaverton. It's not my style. But there's a difference between not wanting to live somewhere and looking down on the people who live there. Hell yes I want people from Beaverton coming to downtown and The Pearl. When they spend their money here, they support businesses here, and that's a positive. How anyone could think otherwise is beyond me.

Haha? No.
Cha-ching? Yes.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 8:10 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkealoha View Post
Possible new residential building going up on 12th & Everett http://www.portlandonline.com/bds/in...47126&a=338144

I've seen survey crews hanging around here a few times this past week.
Wow, 12th & Everett? 11th & Everett is a disaster and has sooooo much potential, but 12th & Everett has a cute little building there. It used to be Everett St. Bistro. I thought it still was? Funny how easy it is to walk through a neighborhood a million times and miss changes because of walking along the same path each time...

Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
Wow, 12th & Everett? 11th & Everett is a disaster and has sooooo much potential, but 12th & Everett has a cute little building there. It used to be Everett St. Bistro. I thought it still was? Funny how easy it is to walk through a neighborhood a million times and miss changes because of walking along the same path each time...
The spot marked on the application for development is across the street from where everett st. bistro used to be. On the NE corner of the intersection. Right now there are 4-5 surface parking spaces and an empty run-down building that used to be a machine shop. If I recall, Gerding Edlen bought this half block a few years ago, moved the machine shop out and was going to develop offices there until the economy tanked. Be nice to see something going up there.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2011, 4:02 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Quote:
Wow, 12th & Everett?
I think its the "West Bearing & Parts" company. They have a red awning and a tiny parking lot in front. Across the street from Utrecht and Everett St. Bistro.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2011, 11:52 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilfondel View Post
I think its the "West Bearing & Parts" company. They have a red awning and a tiny parking lot in front. Across the street from Utrecht and Everett St. Bistro.
FACEPALM! You're right, of course! I don't know why I didn't see it. I wish they were building on the entire length of the block between 11th & 12th.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2011, 4:44 PM
PearlHelp.com

Quote:
It used to be Everett St. Bistro. I thought it still was?
Everett St. Bistro did go out of business, I heard they were months behind in rent and were struggling for awhile. :/

Old Posted Mar 10, 2011, 5:06 PM
PearlHelp.com

Quote:
= haha, but I don't get it. If there's a joke in there, I must have missed it.

I'll tell you exactly who The Pearl is trying to attract: People. Shops and restaurants in The Pearl are there to make money. It's really that simple. If people from Beaverton come to The Pearl and spend their money there, it's a victory not just for the shops they spend their money in but also for The Pearl as a whole.

Certainly, there have been restaurants in The Pearl that tried to be too hip for the room and many of them failed. That sort of poor judgment is their own fault.

I live downtown and have zero interest in living in Beaverton. It's not my style. But there's a difference between not wanting to live somewhere and looking down on the people who live there. Hell yes I want people from Beaverton coming to downtown and The Pearl. When they spend their money here, they support businesses here, and that's a positive. How anyone could think otherwise is beyond me.
Haha? No.
Cha-ching? Yes.

Nice response.

Since I moved to the Pearl back in May my little hobby has been web design... I'm working on a site now that'll be a guide to the Pearl:

http://pearlhelp.com

The site is about 65% done and still has kinks, so don't judge!

Old Posted Mar 12, 2011, 5:07 PM

Renovation for Vestas preserves warehouse, adds green touches
POSTED: Thursday, March 10, 2011 at 11:30 AM PT
BY: Sue Vorenberg
Daily Journal of Commerce

Don’t judge a building by its cover.

When renovation work for Vestas American Wind Technology wraps up at the former Meier & Frank warehouse in the Pearl District, the exterior will look much like it did when the building opened in 1928.

The interior, though, will be filled with energy-saving, high-tech green features that could help the building qualify for Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design platinum certification, said Keith Skille, associate principal and project manager with GBD Architects.

“It’s an old warehouse, and part of what we wanted to do is maintain the feel of the building on the outside, but we also designed it to be LEED platinum,” Skille said. “When we started designing it, it was one of the largest historic renovations in the country to go for LEED platinum.”

The warehouse, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, was formerly part of the Meier & Frank furniture store later purchased by Macy’s.

Gerding Edlen Development bought the building in 2007 after it had sat empty for about a decade, and intended to upgrade it into a mixed-use office and retail space.

Gerding Edlen hired GBD to design the retrofit, but work was put on hold when the recession hit. Then Gerding Edlen secured Vestas as a tenant in August 2010.

GBD finished the plans for the site and Skanska USA in November started retrofitting the building with structural upgrades as part of the $24.4 million construction contract.

Gerding Edlen is still looking for a contractor for the interior work, added Paul Kisling, the company’s senior project manager.

Vestas has signed a 15-year lease for the property with an option to buy after five years, said Andrew Longeteig, a spokesman for the Danish wind turbine company, which has its American headquarters in Portland.

Right now, Vestas’ Portland operations are spread across four buildings. The company hopes to consolidate those operations into the 183,000-square-foot warehouse once work is finished, hopefully in spring 2012, he said.

“It will be in an exciting neighborhood and it will be great to have all our employees under one roof,” Longeteig said. “The fact that we’re reusing a building goes along with the theme of our company, which is sustainability and renewables.”

So far, Skanska workers have started working on the outside shell of the building and have begun adding new sheer walls to meet seismic standards, said Joe Schneider, project executive.

The company also will build a 23,000-square-foot wood-frame penthouse atop the four-story building. Work on that part of the structure should begin in late spring or summer, he said.

One of the more interesting features inside the building will be the energy-efficient, under-floor heating-and-cooling system. Workers will be able to open or shut vents at their desks and control temperature individually, Skille said.

“It’s like a salad spinner, with a grill on the floor that you can adjust at each work station,” he said. “By running it through the floor, you don’t have to add a bunch of ceiling ducts, you don’t have to spend a lot of money on sheet metal, and it’s easier to control.”

Skanska workers will install the system and raise the floor by 18 inches. The site will have one grating every 80 to 90 square feet or so, with higher density in conference rooms.

Another benefit of the system is that it preserves the warehouse’s original look, Skille said.

“It’s an old warehouse, and part of that is we wanted to maintain the feel of the building, so we didn’t want to bugger that up with a bunch of ducts,” Skille said. “Also, the windows in the building were fairly high up, and raising the floor makes them more accessible.”

Electrical and other systems will run through the floor, leaving the interior rooms with a fairly open and airy feel.

Gerding Edlen also is installing a large atrium with skylights at the center of the building at Vestas’ request, Kisling said.

“It adds a certain openness that their corporate culture wanted,” Kisling said.

Other environmentally friendly aspects will include LED lighting and natural light sources, a 160,000-gallon cistern that will collect rainwater for use in toilets and for landscaping, and photovoltaic cells on the roof that can provide 10 percent to 15 percent of the building’s energy needs, Skille said.

PV system details are not worked out yet, and Skille said he’s not sure if the group will buy it or arrange for a company to install it and sell the power to the building tenant.

“Hopefully we can get those locally, though, either way,” he said.

To encourage alternative transportation, GBD also designed a bicycle room that can accommodate between 75 and 80 bikes. The area also has showers and changing rooms for employees, he said.

“And we’re widening the sidewalks around the building, putting in trees, doing curb extensions and generally greening it up to make it more pedestrian friendly,” Skille said.

The renovated building will be able to accommodate up to 600 employees. Vestas has 400 employees in Portland now, and plans to hire another 100, at least, in the next five years, Longeteig said.

“It allows us room for growth, whereas our facilities now do not,” he said.

http://djcoregon.com/news/2011/03/10...for-vestas-hq/

Old Posted Mar 12, 2011, 6:43 PM

Benjamin Brink/The Oregonian

New Pearl District offices for tech startups didn't meet expectations, tenants say
Published: Saturday, March 12, 2011, 6:41 AM
Mike Rogoway, The Oregonian By Mike Rogoway, The Oregonian

It's a quintessential Portland idea: Rehabilitate an aging auto parts store on the edge of the Pearl District, add top-notch environmental features, and stock it with some of the city's hottest tech startups.

The Portland Development Commission helped finance the General Automotive Building's rehabilitation on the North Park Blocks and arranged for Comcast to wire the aging structure for super-fast Internet service. The PDC steered promising technology companies to the project last year.

But the building's new tenants say key work was left undone, utility bills went unpaid, and they complain that noisy construction continued right through the workday -- making it impossible to run their businesses. One tenant left, and another has sought to amend its lease to guard against future problems.

The building's owner, Rob Brewster of Seattle, acknowledges early hiccups. Someone charged with paying bills didn't follow through, he said, and an early tenant pulled out of retail space on the ground floor.

But Brewster insists he's working with tenants to make things right. And the PDC said it still believes the General Automotive Building can be a contributor to Portland's high-tech aspirations.

Craig Reinhart is a managing partner with CresaPartners who represents several Oregon technology companies, including Puppet Labs, a prominent open source startup and a tenant in the General Automotive Building.

With the assistance of PDC, Reinhart is negotiating additional guarantees from the landlord and lender that demonstrate their commitment to making the building a magnet for urban technology companies.

"When mistakes happen you take corrective action," Reinhart said. "We're asking the owner to take corrective action."

The five-story, 25,000-square-foot General Automotive Building went up in 1922, according to Brewster. The PDC loaned him $1.4 million toward the building's $13.2 million renovation.

The building was marketed based on its green credentials (it was designed to LEED Gold environmental standards), "bike storage and showers" on site, and its proximity to nearby bars, lounges and coffeeshops.

All make it ideally suited to attract Portland startups, whose entrepreneurial ambitions have become a key element of the city's economic development strategy.

Among the entrepreneurs who moved in last year was Thomas Brenneke, the 29-year-old chief executive of Network Redux, a Web hosting provider founded in 2004. Brenneke and his six employees moved in last October, and he said they immediately had problems.

Cracks in the walls let conversations in from a law office next door, he said. The office buildout didn't meet specifications Network Redux had agreed to, Brenneke said, and pounding from ongoing construction chased out his employees.

"The largest issue for us was the noise," Brenneke said. "It was so unbearable that I had employees just picking up their monitors and taking them home."

Network Redux moved out a little more than a month later and back into a cramped Pearl District condo that had been its home before the General Automotive Building. The move out cost about $25,000 in prepaid rent, deposits, attorney fees, lost worktime and utility expenses -- but Brenneke said he felt he had no choice.

"It's really too bad," Brenneke said, "because it's a great location. The spaces are nice, but there's no follow through."

Brewster, the landlord from Seattle, says Network Redux endured nothing out of the ordinary for a newly remodeled building.

"There certainly have been some issues with noise," he said, but everyone moving in knew just what to expect.

"Just because one tenant complained about it and left in the middle of the night doesn't give them credibility," Brewster said.

And yes, he said, one bill went unpaid after an assistant hired to pay them didn't. But everything's paid now, Brewster said.

Some tenants in the building are happy there, said Peter Englander, the PDC's central city manager. But he acknowledged the building didn't initially meet expectations for "Class A" office space.

The building lost a key tenant last year when American Flatbread abandoned plans to open a pizza restaurant there. Brewster was new to the market, Englander said, and may not have understood that tech startups need their businesses to perform well from the start, and require similarly dependable office space.

"He made some missteps, and he's willing to admit that," Englander said. "He took on a lot at one time. He didn't perform as well as he needed to."

While Brewster might do things differently if he could start fresh, Englander said, the PDC wouldn't. Rehabilitating the General Automotive Building serves important city goals by bringing new activity to the North Park Blocks and providing a home for technology entrepreneurs.

Brewster, too, said he's happy with the results. The building is nearly full, he said, with strong candidates now expressing interest in filling the ground-floor retail space.

"Given the economy, it's done pretty danged well, actually," Brewster said. "Was it a struggle? Absolutely."

-- Mike Rogoway; twitter: @rogoway; phone: 503-294-7699

http://www.oregonlive.com/business/i...fices_for.html

Old Posted Mar 21, 2011, 2:56 PM
PearlHelp.com

3/21 Update:

By shilorune96 at 2011-03-21

By ShiloRune96 at 2011-03-21

Old Posted Mar 21, 2011, 3:12 PM
PearlHelp.com

The building is coming along well. Inside they have all the drop-down ceilings done, cabinets installed, office furniture with computers etc. (in the leasing office), and it looked like upstairs a few units have been staged. The courtyard is very nice with all the natural wood tones and the playground. A very comfortable and safe feeling is projected. I really like this project and its become a beautiful addition to the Pearl District.

Update: According to their website they only have 14 apartments left. That's amazing and I hope the new residents fit in well.

Find Ramona Apartments on PearlHelp @ http://pearlhelp.com/apartments/ramona-apartments/

Old Posted Mar 22, 2011, 4:19 AM

You know, the details turned out pretty nice. It doesn't look quite so monolithic from close up.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 12:22 AM

NW 12th and Everett The Janey | x feet | 6 floors | U/C

This proposal opened up in word so there is no link. There is a color rendering, I'll print and scan tomorrow. I couldn't figure out how to jpeg and post it. First impression from rendering, pretty bad!

Proposal:
The applicant seeks design review approval for a new six-story 45,000 SF mixed use building on a ¼ block site at the intersection of NW 12th and NW Everett. The ground floor will contain approx. 2,600 SF of retail space, 32 mechanical parking stalls, and a housing lobby. Floors 2-6 will contain 50 residential units. A second floor exterior north-facing deck provides individual private terraces and an eco-roof. A 730 SF roof deck at the SE corner of the roof will contain exterior amenities for all building residents. The building will be clad primarily in a light brick palette, but will also include areas of a dark brick palette and dark aluminum panels, windows will be metal clad wood windows, and sunshades are at all south facing windows.

Exceptions requested to the Oriel Window standard:

Oriel windows have a maximum width of 12’. When approved through design review, the width may vary. The proposal includes a 14’-wide oriel window at the south elevation near the SE corner of the building. This 14’-wide oriel window projects 4’ beyond the property line. Projections greater than 2’-6” must have windows on all sides, with a minimum of 10% of the side walls. The wide walls do not contain windows.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 3:51 AM

Please never ever print an image on to paper only to scan it back in... it's a crime against humanity!

Here's the image from the RFR document:

Last edited by floam; Mar 25, 2011 at 4:50 AM.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 8:56 AM
A before E

If I am not mistaken there is a little one story building on that site right now (autoparts or something like that, but been vacant for a while,) unless it has already been torn down...kind of been a while since I have been in that area.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 9:28 AM
Karma Police

It's across the street from the Casey (on the left in this pic).

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 7:29 PM

Is this the PNCA student housing proposal?

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 8:56 PM

That rendering looks like a 1960s office building. I'm glad to see the street level activated, but otherwise that is one ugly building. Yikes.

Last edited by downtownpdx; Mar 25, 2011 at 8:56 PM. Reason: sp

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sioux612 View Post
Is this the PNCA student housing proposal?
no, it's not.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2011, 1:26 AM
PearlHelp.com

Current building:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland