HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 28, 2013, 10:36 PM

Last edited by JamieDavid Exchange; Mar 29, 2013 at 8:51 PM.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 12:33 AM
Uzer Error

Exclamation Seasons of Tuxedo - Restaurant Closings - Arkadash Closed

Unfortunate about the closing of Arkadash and Juss... now hopefully something decent moves into the Kelsey's locations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ""Observations, Reservations, Conversations

Anyone driving down Kenaston will notice the sign crews have been busy. Cabela's sign has gone up and last night the store was all lit up on the outside. Dollarama put up its store sign in the last day as well.

Sign crews worked throughout the day Wednesday along Sterling Lyon.

There is so much work being done on site laying down foundations for further work that is difficult to know which building will be completed first.

One note about something reported a few days ago: Kelsey's at McGillivray and Kenaston and Kelsey's at Empress/Polo Festival have closed. Aside from a note in the door thanking people for their patronage, no other information is available. They were both around 5000 square feet restaurants and are now both are up for lease.

Kelsey's closed at Kenaston

Kelsey's closed at Empress

I only went a few times to this restaurant. I am not sure if this is fall out from other places that opened in the city but both locations seem ideally suited for a big player from the U.S. coming in.

Another restaurant bar to close is the large Dylan O'Connor's at 2609 Portage Avenue. The 7500 foot location has been stripped of signs and is listed for lease.

Dylan O'Connor's...formerly owned by the also closed Brit Cafe family
The Portage Avenue restaurant close potentially be a great opportunity for a local restaurant group to shine.

It is a tough market for restaurant owners. We may see a few more places that have been around for years get uprooted.

This just in this morning.

Arkadash restaurant appears to have closed this morning on Portage Avenue.

Juss Jazz next door closed just a while ago as well.

Thanks to mart for the tip. Details to follow...

Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 2:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
as a mixed use commercial space, you could do something like this...right flatlander?
Sigh.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 3:36 AM

Kelsey's on Empress closed very quietly sometime before Christmas. At that time the Kenaston location was still open. I would suspect that this does not bode well for the one remaining location on Regent Ave.

Arkadash seemed to suffer from poor marketing. I work nearby and was discussing it with co-workers today. The Chocolate Shop which had the space before used to be really out on the sidewalk trying to hustle people in. Arakadash got some media coverage when they first opened but then went really quiet. About the only way you heard of it was if you knew someone that went there.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 3:49 AM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Arkadash seemed to suffer from poor marketing.
They suffered from a weird menu that didn't really cater well to lunch crowds.

They also mostly served food that the majority of Winnipeggers were completely unfamiliar with.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 1:34 PM

Quote:
Kelsey's on Empress closed very quietly sometime before Christmas. At that time the Kenaston location was still open. I would suspect that this does not bode well for the one remaining location on Regent Ave.
Kelsey's are part of the Cara Foods Group and I saw in one of the news papers this week an ad saying that Cara wants to franchise its Milestone brand in Winnipeg.

I wonder if these locations may come back with new owners under a Milestone format?

Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Kelsey's are part of the Cara Foods Group and I saw in one of the news papers this week an ad saying that Cara wants to franchise its Milestone brand in Winnipeg.

I wonder if these locations may come back with new owners under a Milestone format?
Milestones is moving into the Longboat project right?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2013, 12:00 AM
BANNED

Hopefully Winnipeg sees a Cactus Club soon. Love that restaurant and it's atmosphere!

Old Posted Mar 30, 2013, 2:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
Milestones is moving into the Longboat project right?
Yes they are, forgot about them moving into the Centerpoint project.

But I wonder why they are looking for a franchise operator in Winnipeg?

I would have thought that they have an experienced operator already for a high profile location like Portage and Donald. Unless they are going to open it as a corporate location and then turn it over to somebody.

Or they want to open more locations after this one opens.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2013, 4:42 AM

Would anybody be able to produce a contrast as to how Winnipeg is doing regarding its restaurants? As in the number of restaurants opening vs. restaurants closing. It just seems that as of late there is only news of restaurant closures. I am excluding major chains of course, which seem to be thriving.

I am concerned mainly because I have always heard that Winnipeg has had a great restaurant scene, but alas I have, until recently, not had the funds to regularly go out to eat. So I would love to compile, or find a compiled list of Winnipeg's restaurants year in and year out to see how the city is fairing. Not to mention provide me with an idea of where it is that I should go.

Plus it would be interesting to see how the city is doing on that front, using actual crunched numbers without having the influx of major chains skew the results.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2013, 1:01 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Urbanspoon would help you with that.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2013, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
Would anybody be able to produce a contrast as to how Winnipeg is doing regarding its restaurants? As in the number of restaurants opening vs. restaurants closing. It just seems that as of late there is only news of restaurant closures. I am excluding major chains of course, which seem to be thriving.
I'll start by admitting that I'm no expert in this area, but from what I can observe it seems that there is a bit of a changing of the guard driven mainly by urban growth patterns and changing tastes.

On growth patterns: Looking at Winnipeg, a good many of the new restaurant openings are taking place in the suburban power centre areas (Kenaston, Regent, Polo Park, etc.) as well as in a select few parts of downtown (MTS Centre, to some extent the Exchange District). So that is definitely one factor given that people who live in, say, a new house in Waverley West might be inclined to eat closer to home and won't bother driving to Corydon Avenue or wherever to eat. Also, a lot of the places opening up in the suburban areas are chains that have a lot of marketing muscle. This often makes them a much bigger draw than humble mom-and-pop operations that never advertise - for example, Gasthaus Gutenburger has a reputation for great food but you'll never see a lineup there the same way you would for a more questionable place like Famous Dave's BBQ.

On changing tastes: The best example I can think of are sushi restaurants. 20 years ago there weren't more than just a few sushi restaurants in all of Winnipeg. Even a decade ago there were only a handful of them around. By 2012 there was one in practically every strip mall, food court or commercial district. People who now eat sushi probably eat less of whatever they were eating in 1993. So that contributes to the turnover. (Older generations will recall the same phenomenon with pizza, which went from being an exotic ethnic food in the 1960s to a ubiquitous staple by the 1990s.)

From my own personal observations, I haven't noticed a visible decline in the overall number of eating establishments. They are constantly changing, but if anything the selection in this city is improving.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2013, 3:53 PM

today's Freepress has 1/4 page ad looking for franchissees for Milestones

Old Posted Mar 31, 2013, 3:51 AM
Celebrating 50 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
I am concerned mainly because I have always heard that Winnipeg has had a great restaurant scene, but alas I have, until recently, not had the funds to regularly go out to eat. So I would love to compile, or find a compiled list of Winnipeg's restaurants year in and year out to see how the city is fairing. Not to mention provide me with an idea of where it is that I should go.

Plus it would be interesting to see how the city is doing on that front, using actual crunched numbers without having the influx of major chains skew the results.
In the last four or five years, a number of restaurant institutions have closed down. But there are still a good number of good restaurants and something should replace them.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2013, 3:07 PM

While I have no data to back this up, I am of the belief - founded both on hearsay and observation - that Winnipeg has a very high number of restaurants per capita. The result is that the industry is ridiculously competitive. There are often (constantly?) more eating establishments in operation than there are patrons/dollars to service them. In this business-based natural selection activity, there are going to be winners and losers. Thus, I would not attribute closures to a failure of the market, but rather a failure of the restaurant in the market. It's just a tough slug out there, in my opinion.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2013, 4:15 PM

My observation is that Winnipeg seems to be holding even or slightly growing in the number of restaurants. It seems for about every five independent places that close four open in the same locations. Chains seem to be on a slow growth lately too with some (Arby's, Kelsey's) closing and others (Original Joe's, State and Main, Five Guys) opening.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2013, 2:17 AM

Quote:
My observation is that Winnipeg seems to be holding even or slightly growing in the number of restaurants. It seems for about every five independent places that close four open in the same locations. Chains seem to be on a slow growth lately too with some (Arby's, Kelsey's) closing and others (Original Joe's, State and Main, Five Guys) opening.
Don't know if there's more or less (I'm inclined to think less in total, although maybe more in terms of seats?) but definitely more chains. More larger chains, fewer smaller independents. Just my opinion.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2013, 4:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
Don't know if there's more or less (I'm inclined to think less in total, although maybe more in terms of seats?) but definitely more chains. More larger chains, fewer smaller independents. Just my opinion.
I honestly think we are gaining. For example the Wagon Wheel was a high profile closure however when CentrePoint is completed it will have two new restaurants, one chain and one independent. Further, the block has two more locations which have no announced plans but could become restaurants. We lose Kelekis but gain Shawarma Khan in a net new space. The list keeps going but you get the point.

Some chains like Original Joe's at Unicity or the Seasons of Tuxedo spaces are opening net new. Yes, there are some like Juss Jazz and Arkadash that are dark spaces now but time will tell. There are very few established locations I can think of that go dark and stay dark for over 12 months or get converted to something different. That is just my observation though and could be wrong.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2013, 10:42 AM

if any of you follow the "businesses for sale" websites, at any one time, there's 25 for sale, mostly small little places

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 5:11 AM

Milestones has a 'higher-end' chain feel to it, sort of like Moxies or Earls or Joeys, and that is something that Winnipeg could use a bit more coverage of. Sure there are lots of restaurants around town (chain or non-chain), but new upscale chains are working to cover the various territory that is not served by others in their class. Original Joes and Rockford Grill in the Unicity Area, State and Main at Kildonan Place, Milestones downtown... (my wife and I love Original Joe's menu btw).

And now more?
Kelseys comes off as a burgers n everything else kind of place. My few experiences there, really weren't all that good. I'm guessing that Cara foods may be reassessing their strategy for Winnipeg. They are aggressively bringing in Harveys, opening another Swiss Chalet in St. Vital (and more?), and rumours were out there (now retracted) of another Montanas near IKEA. All those Cara brands kind of overlap with each other, with the exception of Milestones and its Palomino bar -- on that note, I wonder how that 'Palomino Bar' name is going to fly with the 'Palomino Club' already famously (infamously?) holding that name.

Either way, I hope that everyone at the two Kelseys who lost their jobs were able to find something new, and those two locations are prime for new chains, either Milestones, or Famous Daves, or some other US chain.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan